Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Apr 6, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #4,471 of 4,488
What brought a lot more enjoyment out of my Stellia was my Arctic Cable. Check them out, I love their cables, excellent craftsmanship. They got my custom cable to me from order in about 1-2 weeks, that's Florida to Hawaii. They have a lot of customizable options to make the cable one of a kind.

I usually work with Roy, amazing customer service. Helps along the way each and every time. I would check out the Arctic cable Aegis or the Magnus from Arctic. You can always ask, which would be the best cable to go with based on your preference and what your looking to spend.

Simply Beautiful
20240405_215316.jpg

20240405_215728.jpg
My late night listening session as we speak. Amazing hp.
Oh neat, I also use a HA-6A!

Only issue is I'm in the UK, so options can be limited but I'll look through at the suggestions!

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #4,472 of 4,488
We were using the wrong term, microphonic is what I at least meant 😇
Yeah I've always called it microphonic noise (the rumbling of Stellia on my head, cables make it worse).
But I heard some saying "microphonic" is something else, and it's actually "mechanical noise"? Confusing lol.

I just mean the headphones amplifying any noise when I move. The stock cable being stiff + like sandpaper makes it loud when it touches anything! Even my clothes.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 5:10 AM Post #4,473 of 4,488
I got microphonic from Headfi. It made the most sense to me because the noise I heard was a banging sound when the cable would bang/bump something such as a me or cabinet and so forth. It simply seamed more amplifying the noise/sound made like a microphone.

When I saw the term "machinal" I thinking machinery. I would expect noise coming from the amp, preamp, dac, player, PC, or so forth. This would either be from interference or moving parts. Given most people are not using equipment that's not insolated well (enough) and prone to inference, and almost all equipment I see has no moving parts, it didn't seem likely; record, tape, or CD players being moving part exception.

The stock cables are very microphonic. If they're not moving around, they sound good. At least the ones I experience that came with the Stellia and Elegia.

I cannot comment on all the suggested brands suggested. From what I've read, they've all been spoken about very highly. They would probably serve you very well. I like GUCrasftsman because they seemed to be made well. The price is very reasonable for what they are compared to many of the brands suggested. They may be a little bit out of your price range. There's no customization for appearance or length.

Another cable I would suggest, which is very reasonable and similar to microphronics to the GUCrasftman would be Meza Audio 99 Upgrade cables. Compared to the many brands suggested, these are dirt cheap at $120-$130US, for similar cable(s). I liked them. The only issue I had was the plastic sleeve came loose on the headphone terminals. It didn't create a short or effect the sound or micrphonics. Well, reading the L and R is bit challenging since the terminal ends are a light silver and type is white. Not enough contrast.

Apr 7, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #4,474 of 4,488
I got microphonic from Headfi. It made the most sense to me because the noise I heard was a banging sound when the cable would bang/bump something such as a me or cabinet and so forth. It simply seamed more amplifying the noise/sound made like a microphone.

When I saw the term "machinal" I thinking machinery. I would expect noise coming from the amp, preamp, dac, player, PC, or so forth. This would either be from interference or moving parts. Given most people are not using equipment that's not insolated well (enough) and prone to inference, and almost all equipment I see has no moving parts, it didn't seem likely; record, tape, or CD players being moving part exception.

The stock cables are very microphonic. If they're not moving around, they sound good. At least the ones I experience that came with the Stellia and Elegia.

I cannot comment on all the suggested brands suggested. From what I've read, they've all been spoken about very highly. They would probably serve you very well. I like GUCrasftsman because they seemed to be made well. The price is very reasonable for what they are compared to many of the brands suggested. They may be a little bit out of your price range. There's no customization for appearance or length.

Another cable I would suggest, which is very reasonable and similar to microphronics to the GUCrasftman would be Meza Audio 99 Upgrade cables. Compared to the many brands suggested, these are dirt cheap at $120-$130US, for similar cable(s). I liked them. The only issue I had was the plastic sleeve came loose on the headphone terminals. It didn't create a short or effect the sound or micrphonics. Well, reading the L and R is bit challenging since the terminal ends are a light silver and type is white. Not enough contrast.
I'm not a fan of GUcraftsman - high prices (but cheap on AliExpress). And it's incredibly thin copper.

The sound quality is noticeably worse than, say, Hifiman stock cables. It's thin gauge so it makes sense. My GUcraftsman cable has turned green inside, and the left ear often cuts out.

It really depends if a Forza Noir might be quieter. It's a thick, airy braided cable made of soft, quiet material. Absorbs vibrations very well. But I only tried with Utopia which is open-back

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 1:05 AM Post #4,475 of 4,488
... GUcraftsman - high prices ... sound quality is noticeably worse ... cable has turned green inside, and the left ear often cuts out. ....
I got mine off Amazon. The more expensive cables tend to have silver--plated or only. Compared to many of the brands named, these cables are cheap, but those other brands have a lot of customization.

In my experience, I haven't had any issues with the cables. I have no idea if they're corroding (turning green) because the cable is covered with the solid plastic cloth like material. I cannot see the actual cable. I tend to find the cable that is copper with silver plating is a bit more warm. Works well with rock and heavy metal. Pure silver cable is a little brighter and works well with R&B and jazz. I cannot compare the sound to other cables since I've only used the Stellia with the Auze and stock cables. I did go to headfi meetup with the Stellia, GUCraftsman, and FiiO K9 Pro (ESS) and no was critical of the sound. Most were very impressed and spoke well of the sound.

Apr 19, 2024 at 7:05 AM Post #4,476 of 4,488
Got the Forza Noir Mk2 cable - No microphonics! Basically none. This cable is like a light rope, that's flexible like string. Can't hear it anymore.

Sound quality is a huge improvement. It's airy, clean and natural up top, none of the rigid sharpness I heard before in the treble. Bass is tighter and less bloated/fatiguing.
Stage feels more fluid, and fades out into the distance - I had the same impression with Utopia on Forza Noir also. The center image extends out in front of my head. It makes the Stellia even smoother than ever! Micro details are great too.

Attachments

• 20240419_114913.jpg
    20240419_114913.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240419_114927.jpg
    20240419_114927.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 2:02 AM Post #4,477 of 4,488
Can anyone recommend a good leather cleaning or conditioning products for the Stellia? Thanks.

Apr 22, 2024 at 2:18 AM Post #4,478 of 4,488
Can anyone recommend a good leather cleaning or conditioning products for the Stellia? Thanks.
I've been using Leather Master - leather protection cream from Amazon (comes with a cleaner too). Furniture Clinic also makes a similar one. It's kept the leather brand new and hydrated. The cream stops your skin/hair oils from staining it. Just apply every 2 months or so, with a white cloth.

I only use the protection cream, but the cleaner can remove stains too. I did a lot of research to find something safe for the leather, lots of products can cause staining.

When you first apply it, it's a liquid and makes the leather 'look' stained (don't worry). It dries quickly and the leather looks great. I haven't noticed any change in color or finish over time.

Attachments

• 20240420_132524.jpg
    20240420_132524.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #4,479 of 4,488
I bought a used Stellia and the headband has discolored and I would like to clean it if possible. Will the product you recommended work? Many thanks!

Apr 22, 2024 at 2:46 AM Post #4,480 of 4,488
I bought a used Stellia and the headband has discolored and I would like to clean it if possible. Will the product you recommended work? Many thanks!
The cleaner should help some discoloration, I haven't needed it on mine yet, but it's made for sensitive aniline leather! I've seen good reviews for the stain removal part. Using the cream afterwards will help restore and protect the finish too.

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #4,481 of 4,488
That’s a very good question that seems to pop up regularly in this thread but still nobody has pointed at a product that effectively cleans already discolored headbands. Please share here if you find a solution. My Stellia’s leather got coffee-brown, quite darker than I expected, just within two months after purchase. The color is even and really not bad looking at all, but I keep wondering why would Focal bother creating such a distinctive color and marketing as Cognac & Mocha and whatnot, if they know it won’t last even several weeks before it inevitably turns into a completely different color. Why not just release it already tinted dark brown and call it Coffee or something right from the start? So I keep feeling that we, the users, are somehow secretly expected to maintain the original appearance of the headphone, except nobody tells us how. Please share, if you find a way :wink:

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #4,482 of 4,488
That’s a very good question that seems to pop up regularly in this thread but still nobody has pointed at a product that effectively cleans already discolored headbands. Please share here if you find a solution. My Stellia’s leather got coffee-brown, quite darker than I expected, just within two months after purchase. The color is even and really not bad looking at all, but I keep wondering why would Focal bother creating such a distinctive color and marketing as Cognac & Mocha and whatnot, if they know it won’t last even several weeks before it inevitably turns into a completely different color. Why not just release it already tinted dark brown and call it Coffee or something right from the start? So I keep feeling that we, the users, are somehow secretly expected to maintain the original appearance of the headphone, except nobody tells us how. Please share, if you find a way :wink:
I'm fairly sure the best method is the leather cleaner + protection cream I mentioned. Stellia uses unprotected, full-grain/aniline leather, which many other products also use. For this type of aniline it's really the best you can get. It can remove stains, the cream prevents them also, but there's a limit to it of course. I hope trying the cleaner will help you un-stain them

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:09 AM Post #4,483 of 4,488
Unfortunately, and hopefully not in your case, but the Stellas patina really easy. It did it with mine. It may not go away, but get worse. I would recommend getting a headband cover. It hides the discoloration and keeps the patina from getting worse

Apr 28, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #4,485 of 4,488
Unfortunately, and hopefully not in your case, but the Stellas patina really easy. It did it with mine. It may not go away, but get worse. I would recommend getting a headband cover. It hides the discoloration and keeps the patina from getting worse
How does getting worse look like? Mine got even dark brown but I wouldn’t call it exactly bad looking. It doesn’t look stained, grayish or dirty in any way. It’s just less flashy or fashion-inspired, but rather bringing a more understated, more grown-up type of aesthetic. If anything, it now looks as if the original intention was to match the headband’s color to the ear pad rings. But, yeah, it’s definitely too big of a departure from the originally advertised look.
Btw, I haven’t tried Leather Master, as was kindly suggested here, but I tried a different leather cleaner that had worked well on other products with sensitive leather and it didn’t make any difference at all. Didn’t damage the headband, but didn’t change it either.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back