Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 9, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #4,441 of 4,488
I wonder if using Dubbin (lanolin) would more evenly facilitate this darkening?
I actually considered something like that - but was initially concerned if I could apply it evenly and in a very thin layer at the time to avoid dark stains.... Bought the Stella's almost when they were launched, so I didn't know then how dark eventually it would become :)

Feb 9, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #4,443 of 4,488
I actually considered something like that - but was initially concerned if I could apply it evenly and in a very thin layer at the time to avoid dark stains.... Bought the Stella's almost when they were launched, so I didn't know then how dark eventually it would become :)
Further back in this thread there were some interesting posts from various head-fiers with products that had helped them successfully with the tanning, as well as others with cleaning products that supposedly helped keeping the leather clean as new, for those who decided to go the other way. There are also the inevitable cautionary tales of some staining and uneven discoloration that have occurred in other cases, when using the wrong products on such sensitive type of leather :) But I’ve been wondering, what is the official Focal’s take on the matter? Clearly a lot of thinking and effort have gone into designing this product- from the unusual color scheme to the bold choice of the lush leather head strap - nothing here feels random but a rather like a carefully coordinated effort at creating a charismatic high-end product delivering a wholesome luxury experience. So I wonder, how did they imagine the eventual best scenario of consumer reaction? Were we supposed to figure out by ourselves, through trial and error, which products work best? Or were we supposed to not care about looks at all? Or was the plan all along that the product would inevitably look silly for like a year, after which it would eventually mature into this classy vintage coffee-tinted look? It works for me, as I don’t intend to use my Stellia outdoors as much, but it still puzzles me a bit- who designs a luxury item within this price range, with the marketing premise “But first, you’ll have to hide it for a year!” I’m just curious, is all. :) I’m happy with my Stellia, but I feel it could have come with some sort of educated maintenance suggestion for keeping it in its original looks, as intended by its designers.

Feb 10, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #4,444 of 4,488
Further back in this thread there were some interesting posts from various head-fiers with products that had helped them successfully with the tanning, as well as others with cleaning products that supposedly helped keeping the leather clean as new, for those who decided to go the other way. There are also the inevitable cautionary tales of some staining and uneven discoloration that have occurred in other cases, when using the wrong products on such sensitive type of leather :) But I’ve been wondering, what is the official Focal’s take on the matter? Clearly a lot of thinking and effort have gone into designing this product- from the unusual color scheme to the bold choice of the lush leather head strap - nothing here feels random but a rather like a carefully coordinated effort at creating a charismatic high-end product delivering a wholesome luxury experience. So I wonder, how did they imagine the eventual best scenario of consumer reaction? Were we supposed to figure out by ourselves, through trial and error, which products work best? Or were we supposed to not care about looks at all? Or was the plan all along that the product would inevitably look silly for like a year, after which it would eventually mature into this classy vintage coffee-tinted look? It works for me, as I don’t intend to use my Stellia outdoors as much, but it still puzzles me a bit- who designs a luxury item within this price range, with the marketing premise “But first, you’ll have to hide it for a year!” I’m just curious, is all. :) I’m happy with my Stellia, but I feel it could have come with some sort of educated maintenance suggestion for keeping it in its original looks, as intended by its designers.
Yeah, they must have had an idea. However, I thought of it like buying new leather gloves where they eventually will darken and get their personal look...

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #4,446 of 4,488
Yeah, they must have had an idea. However, I thought of it like buying new leather gloves where they eventually will darken and get their personal look...
Exactly. Part of the joy of ownership and good honest usage is the patina that develops over time. Just like fine riding gloves, tack, and other endeavours using quality leather products. My Stellia, with a couple of years use, are coming along nicely. Great character that demonstrates our shared history. Nothing done to speed them up. So much easier to break in than my other project - a heavy horsehide jacket for the motorcycle. It seems neither I nor the bike will live long enough for that one!

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #4,447 of 4,488
Exactly. Part of the joy of ownership and good honest usage is the patina that develops over time. Just like fine riding gloves, tack, and other endeavours using quality leather products. My Stellia, with a couple of years use, are coming along nicely. Great character that demonstrates our shared history. Nothing done to speed them up. So much easier to break in than my other project - a heavy horsehide jacket for the motorcycle. It seems neither I nor the bike will live long enough for that one!
Nicely said. That line right there- “Great character that demonstrates our shared history”- it should be in Stellia’s web page. It would put a smile on many owners’ faces. Cheers!

Feb 10, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #4,448 of 4,488
Feb 10, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #4,450 of 4,488
Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #4,451 of 4,488
Feb 13, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #4,453 of 4,488
Having read through this whole thread, I'm surprised there's only been one mention of Audiophile Ninja cables. The Focal Clear crowd swear by them. Excellent hand made cables for a reasonable price 👍
I've used my Stellia's with audiophile ninja for a good time and I highly recommend them, great improvement vs stock cable. Never tried no better cable <100$

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #4,454 of 4,488
Mar 13, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #4,455 of 4,488

Users who are viewing this thread

Back