Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 20, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #4,456 of 4,482
We recently moved and the Stellia were packed away...put them on for the first time in about 2mo now, and boy did I miss them. I had my Bathys which got me by but putting these on again made me appreciate them all over again.

Mar 20, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #4,457 of 4,482
changed out my beloved Bryston ss amp for a Auris ha2 sf. Stellia loves the tubes, and so do i
20240318_165015.jpg

Mar 23, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #4,458 of 4,482
Imaging - "Lack on behind." Stellia has perfect, and again perfect sound image on the right, left and in front, but not around behind of the head.
Image of sub-bass is mainly inside of the head, like iems'. It literally shakes off my skull and brain. (It is due to the good control, but someone can feel it is not spatial).
Timbre - "Anechoic Chamber." Despite of the closed design, reverb control is done well, and it gives little bit dry timbre compared to the Utopia. General sound is really smooth and silky. It makes me feel like I am in the warm recording studio with perfectly placed bookshelf speakers.

Resolution - "Price represents it." On the top-tier among the closed back headphones.
Sub-bass resolution is on the top, I even could feel the shape of kick, synth bass (near 60~100Hz) and bass guitar.
Bit lower than Utopia but really close (Even if some of the grains of sand on the beach are clumped together, we won't notice them easily.)
Higher than MDR-Z1R and HD820 in instrument separation (back and forth depth).

Tonality - "A Peak." Anyone will be able to feel a small peak around 1~3k (I couldn't pick an exact point, but vocal sound was somewhat lifted. But it becomes natural in a week of use). Sub-bass amount below 60Hz may not be satisfying.

Build - "Perfect." Covered with genuine brown leather, decent pattern on earcup (may be trypophobic!), smooth headband adjust, but tiny crackling sound on headband torsion.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #4,459 of 4,482
Hi, I'm wondering what cable to buy for Stellia. Anything around $250 or less is fine

I have sensitive ears, and most cables are very loud with Stellia (mechanical noise). Not sure what type to buy.

I had a Utopia with a Forza Noir HPC cable, it's a really soft, flexible braided cable. But I'm not sure how quiet/noisy it could be for Stellia. Curious about OIDIO Mongrel also.

Braided or non-braided? I'm curious what the least noisy option is. Thanks

Apr 5, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #4,460 of 4,482
Hi, I'm wondering what cable to buy for Stellia. Anything around $250 or less is fine

I have sensitive ears, and most cables are very loud with Stellia (mechanical noise). Not sure what type to buy.

I had a Utopia with a Forza Noir HPC cable, it's a really soft, flexible braided cable. But I'm not sure how quiet/noisy it could be for Stellia. Curious about OIDIO Mongrel also.

Look at the Moon Audio Black Dragon Cable.

Apr 5, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #4,462 of 4,482

I have two Forza cables for it, Forza Noir Mk2 (XLR) & Forza Claire Hybrid (4.4 mm). I'm not bothered by the mechanical noise since I apparently sit very still, but if you are sensitive to it I'd say both would annoy you. The Noir less so than the Claire by quite a bit though (fabric vs plastic). I'd say both are mechanically louder than the short rubbery one that comes with it (the lamp chord I'm not digging out). Not that much help, but at least it might rule something out.
(FWIW I use the Claire Hybrid pretty much always, it's very nice even though it's noisy).

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #4,463 of 4,482
I have two Forza cables for it, Forza Noir Mk2 (XLR) & Forza Claire Hybrid (4.4 mm). I'm not bothered by the mechanical noise since I apparently sit very still, but if you are sensitive to it I'd say both would annoy you. The Noir less so than the Claire by quite a bit though (fabric vs plastic). I'd say both are mechanically louder than the short rubbery one that comes with it (the lamp chord I'm not digging out). Not that much help, but at least it might rule something out.
(FWIW I use the Claire Hybrid pretty much always, it's very nice even though it's noisy).
Thanks, I'd be inclined to think Forza Noir is the best option. Since it's so flexible and cushioned. Most braided cables are light and flexible, but Noir is even more. I'd assume it absorbs more vibrations than most cables, making it quieter?

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #4,464 of 4,482
Thanks, I'd be inclined to think Forza Noir is the best option. Since it's so flexible and cushioned. Most braided cables are light and flexible, but Noir is even more. I'd assume it absorbs more vibrations than most cables, making it quieter?
That is probably a good bet. You could probably check with the utopia cable just holding it to one of stellia cups to feel the vibrations.

Apr 5, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #4,466 of 4,482

The Nordost Blue Heaven cable is in that price range and dead silent. Mechanical noise is important in all Nordost cables. Could be a good option if you can find one.

Apr 6, 2024 at 1:17 AM Post #4,467 of 4,482
GUCrasftman on Amazon may be option. It not microphronic from the terminal end to the split. A little microphronic from the split to the headphone.

I'm not sure what "machanical noise" that you're referencing. Towards noise/distortion when nothing is playing, I haven't had any issues that I noticed. I have a little tinnitus which I only hear when it's really quite, which is usually when I have headphones on and nothing playing.

Apr 6, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #4,468 of 4,482
GUCrasftman on Amazon may be option. It not microphronic from the terminal end to the split. A little microphronic from the split to the headphone.

I'm not sure what "machanical noise" that you're referencing. Towards noise/distortion when nothing is playing, I haven't had any issues that I noticed. I have a little tinnitus which I only hear when it's really quite, which is usually when I have headphones on and nothing playing.
We were using the wrong term, microphonic is what I at least meant 😇

Apr 6, 2024 at 1:46 AM Post #4,469 of 4,482

I’d highly recommend the Norne Audio Drausk with the Stellia. When I still owned a Stellia, the Norne was a great choice with it. It’s also non-microphonic and incredibly well made.

Trevor’s build time can be a little long (2-4 weeks), but it is ALWAYS worth it in my opinion. Trevor’s cables are impeccable. Check out the Norne Audio thread here on Head-Fi.

Apr 6, 2024 at 4:13 AM Post #4,470 of 4,482
What brought a lot more enjoyment out of my Stellia was my Arctic Cable. Check them out, I love their cables, excellent craftsmanship. They got my custom cable to me from order in about 1-2 weeks, that's Florida to Hawaii. They have a lot of customizable options to make the cable one of a kind.

I usually work with Roy, amazing customer service. Helps along the way each and every time. I would check out the Arctic cable Aegis or the Magnus from Arctic. You can always ask, which would be the best cable to go with based on your preference and what your looking to spend.

Simply Beautiful
20240405_215316.jpg

20240405_215728.jpg
My late night listening session as we speak. Amazing hp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back