Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 23, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #2,551 of 4,499
Funny you should ask that, because I’ve been enjoying the Stellia so much that I haven’t even put the VC’s or any other headphone on since I got them! I knew I would like them but I have been surprised at just how good they are. Really technically adept but also fun and easy to enjoy with all kinds of music and sources. And they are different enough and good enough on their own terms as closed-backs that I’m not missing my Utopias at all when I have them on. I love the Verité C but I do sometimes find myself wanting their sound in an open-back format if I don’t need the isolation they provide. Their presentation may be a bit more spacious than the Stellia, but the Focals are like putting a small, well isolated room on your head. I think they had more of an ear speaker concept in mind with their design as opposed to the ZMF’s going for an open-back sound in a closed can. Both succeed on their own merits but the idea of what a totl closed-back should be is different for each brand. I’ll do some A/B listening sessions in the days to come to develop my impressions further. I feel tremendously lucky to have these two at the same time if only for a few weeks.
And I totally agree with you re: the Stellias vs Z1Rs. I think the Sonys are great but bested by the Stellia in almost every category. To be fair I don’t own the Z1Rs anymore, but I sold them after a few months w/out too much hesitation, while the Stellias are turning into indispensable cans for me that I can’t see replacing for years. I will say one thing I admire about Sony over Focal is that their design (aside from the Z1Rs absurdly heavy case!) is more consumer friendly. I really appreciated having numbers on the sliders to easily find the right fit, instead of counting clicks like with the Utopia/Stellia, and color-coded connectors for the cables were most welcome!
Have you already tested the Stellia with the Niimbus US4+?

Jul 23, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #2,552 of 4,499
I initially had Elegia with HipDAC and it was good, but I was still quite new. I had not heard a TOTL headphone yet.

Then moved to Stellia with HipDAC but it sounded off. Bloated and heavy.

Now I have Hugo 2 with Stellia and it is brilliant. My daily work office setup.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #2,554 of 4,499
Just ordered a set of the Stellia's to go with my RME ADI FS for my bedroom rig. Pretty stoked to hear these.
Price?

Jul 23, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #2,556 of 4,499
I initially had Elegia with HipDAC and it was good, but I was still quite new. I had not heard a TOTL headphone yet. Then moved to Stellia with HipDAC but it sounded off. Bloated and heavy. Now I have Hugo 2 with Stellia and it is brilliant. My daily work office setup.
Don’t know the hipDac, but just bought the ifi micro iDSD black label and it is indeed a nice pairing with everything including the Stellias...

Jul 23, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #2,558 of 4,499
Don’t know the hipDac, but just bought the ifi micro iDSD black label and it is indeed a nice pairing with everything including the Stellias...

The Micro BL is a better all-round device than the HipDAC. Not to take away from the HipDAC, but the Micro BL is superior.

Jul 24, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #2,559 of 4,499
Hi guys so I have had my Stellia and sp1000m for about 3 weeks now. I have purchased the moon black dragon cable and don't think I'm 💯 happy with the sp1000m I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on amp/dac options I'm working from home currently but would like something that I can take to and from the office as well.

Any other options then the Hugo 2 would be appreciated as well haha.

Jul 24, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #2,560 of 4,499
Hi guys so I have had my Stellia and sp1000m for about 3 weeks now. I have purchased the moon black dragon cable and don't think I'm 💯 happy with the sp1000m I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on amp/dac options I'm working from home currently but would like something that I can take to and from the office as well.

How about an SP2000? I see some prices coming down in the classifieds.

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #2,561 of 4,499
Just keep an eye on SNA and a Hugo 2 will show up for 2k AUD.

I don’t think there is a better portable solution on the market.

Kills DAP’s IMO.

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #2,562 of 4,499

I would save my money if i were you,you're not gonna find a big improvement in a portable solution unless you have a problem with the tonality of SP1000M.Maybe look for SP2000 if cost is no object.What is with the Ultima M that you find lacking,imo the pairing is sublime and really brings out the resolution and clarity of Stellia.

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #2,563 of 4,499
I wouldn't say there is anything I don't like but I also don't get that wow from it either. I would say I prefer the sp1000 over the m unfortunately, I have not listened to the sp2000 so can't comment on that. I was thinking of going to either a dedicated desktop setup that can be moved between the office and home

Jul 24, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #2,564 of 4,499
Jul 24, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #2,565 of 4,499

FiiO M15 in headphone overdrive mode. I use the combo and find it great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back