Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 26, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #2,581 of 4,506
Woo-Audio WA7 Fireflys, it's an awesome pair with the stelias.

Around the house Fiio M15 it's nice. Just put it on my shirt pocket and go.

Jul 26, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #2,582 of 4,506
I listened to the Iggy Azalea song you referenced on my Stellia. The sibilance (mostly from what sounds like artificially produced claps or finger snaps) is annoying, but I am guessing they recorded it that way because the bass is super clear as an offset. This track sounds like it was mixed for blasting over a car stereo. Anything that smooths out this track is going to make other music sound strange, in my opinion.

Thanks for the perspective. Could you try out one more song for me since that one doesn’t seem to be a good example? Ellie Goulding - Burn or Lana Del Ray - Blue Jeans should be a better indication of any treble peaks.

Overall, I just find the song more annoying than anything. It's just an ugly song.

Yes, I was afraid this might be the issue. Arya is weird sounding as it sounds warm and relaxed on some tracks but very bright on other tracks. I’m also going to assume the Stellias also have more microdetail than the Aryas without emphasizing the treble in any way?

Coming from the LCD 3s I knew there was more detail to be had around the $2K point and because of their veil I confirmed that this was the case. The HEK SE sound very spacious and nice but seem to lack the impact of the Focals. I’m looking for a smooth, impactful detailed can and I think the Stellias fit that bill better than the Verites as they are a bit too politely tuned for my tasting and the closed were a little too shouty.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #2,583 of 4,506
Can someone who has the Stellia demo a song for me? I have the Aryas and their 5k peak is bothering me for poorly mastered or sibilant songs. I immediately have to turn down the volume. I want to know if the Stellias run into this same issue. Below is the most sibilant song I can think of so if they can make that song sound even somewhat passable then they’re a win in my books.

Iggy Azalea - Fancy

I think I'll give this a try tomorrow, it is on one of the tidal playlists I've added, though I am not the most articulate wrt sound so I won't be able to go into too much detail. What volume do you listen at? Relatively loud or on the lower side?

Jul 26, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #2,584 of 4,506
I think I'll give this a try tomorrow, it is on one of the tidal playlists I've added, though I am not the most articulate wrt sound so I won't be able to go into too much detail. What volume do you listen at? Relatively loud or on the lower side?

Relatively loud at probably 80db/11 o clock on the pot usually.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #2,585 of 4,506
Relatively loud at probably 80db/11 o clock on the pot usually.

So I generally listen moderately loud and the level I usually listen at the song doesn't feel bad. But when I blast it loud there are bits that become unbearable/piercing. Particularly Charli XCX at the end.

The other one you requested, Burn, seems fine in both scenarios. Blue Jeans is pleasant in both scenarios.

Jul 27, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #2,586 of 4,506
Thanks for the perspective. Could you try out one more song for me since that one doesn’t seem to be a good example? Ellie Goulding - Burn or Lana Del Ray - Blue Jeans should be a better indication of any treble peaks.

Lan Del Ray sounds 100% fine, I really don't notice the treble peaks and the track sounds natural. Ellie Goulding - Burn has a sharper treble than Blue Jeans but sounds good for most of the track. The one caveat is that Burn seems like it has a lot of compression applied, because once the music gets busy, the sound quality turns south. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #2,587 of 4,506
For those that are interested, it looks like the $1000 discount on the Focal Arche is now available to anyone who purchased a Utopia, Stellia or Clear set of headphones at any time in the past. Before, the discount on the Arche only applied for bundled purchases with a set of headphones.

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #2,588 of 4,506
Just received my Stellia’s, after a quick listen these are amazingly good :beyersmile:... Definitely going to need a new cable though. Stock cable is a little too stiff and microphonic for my tastes.
C09AA286-191E-4594-B089-81F35CA321A4.jpeg

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #2,589 of 4,506
Just received my Stellia’s, after a quick listen these are amazingly good :beyersmile:... Definitely going to need a new cable though. Stock cable is a little too stiff and microphonic for my tastes.
C09AA286-191E-4594-B089-81F35CA321A4.jpeg
how’s the bass and is it good for pop music

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #2,593 of 4,506
So I got my Stella a Lotoo Paw Gold Touch, should be here tomorrow!! Trying to pick out a SD card now. Then I just need a headphone cable upgrade. I’m still lost on the that. Moon Audio’s Black Dragon and Kimber Kable Axios are all I know of. Looking for more quality options. DanaCable perhaps but they don’t have the options I need on their website.

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #2,594 of 4,506
So I got my Stella a Lotoo Paw Gold Touch, should be here tomorrow!! Trying to pick out a SD card now. Then I just need a headphone cable upgrade. I’m still lost on the that. Moon Audio’s Black Dragon and Kimber Kable Axios are all I know of. Looking for more quality options. DanaCable perhaps but they don’t have the options I need on their website.

LPGT was my go to DAP when I was heavily into portable audio. Fantastic piece of equipment with stellar build quality. My biggest frustration with DAPs were lack of hardware power, and as a result, its slow interface. LPGT was lightning quick as its UI wasn't Android base. And it has a great PMEQ. I'm sure it'll pair great with the Stellia.

Jul 30, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #2,595 of 4,506
My replacement Stellia arrived today. One of the things I really enjoy about the Stellia is they sound just as good at low volumes. Time to break them in over the next few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back