Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 19, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #2,521 of 4,495
I very nearly bought the Z1R after listening to it for a total of about 5hrs (both in-store and at a friends home).

Stellia is the better headphone as an all-in one closed back for the office (for me).

Z1R bass and treble spike might have got a bit annoying after 5-6hrs on the head across the workday.

If I was expecting to use a closed back more at home i'd have considered the Z1R more - tonally they're amazing.

Jul 19, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #2,523 of 4,495
I got in a bit of trouble in the past on this topic, but can I get a recommendation on a custom cable for the A&K SP2K and Stellia? I'm thinking silver this time. I loaned the headphones out before before lockdown, and they broke the 2.5mm TRRS plug.

Still rocking this combo after a year btw. Stellia gets better with age, or I just forgot how good it is while separated by 3 months.

Sorry for the post to the cable police.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #2,524 of 4,495
I got in a bit of trouble in the past on this topic, but can I get a recommendation on a custom cable for the A&K SP2K and Stellia? I'm thinking silver this time. I loaned the headphones out before before lockdown, and they broke the 2.5mm TRRS plug.

Still rocking this combo after a year btw. Stellia gets better with age, or I just forgot how good it is while separated by 3 months.

Sorry for the post to the cable police.
I recommend warmly the Signum (or Signum +) series by Arctic Cables: http://arcticcables.com/Catalog.asp?T1=1&T2=8

Jul 19, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #2,526 of 4,495

I bought my Stellia for using at work, though currently I am only in the office 2 days a week. At home I am using the Utopia.

Every time I switch between the two I can tell the differences immediately, but it doesn't take long to see the benefits of each headphone.

Jul 21, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #2,527 of 4,495
I just got a set of lemo-to-3.5mm adapters from AffinityCables (one-week turnaround time including expedited shipping from SG to the US - not bad!). So now I'm using it to try out the stock Utopia cable (OG version) with the Stellia.

The stock Utopia cable is noticeably warmer and fuller-sounding compared to the stock Stellia (XLR) cable. Coming out of a neutral DAC/amp like the DAVE, it's not necessarily a bad sound at all. However, if someone finds the stock Stellia cable to sound "like a mitten" (that's the description someone used on this thread earlier, which makes me lol), then the stock Utopia cable would probably have to get a rating of two mittens.

🧤🧤

Just thought I'd make a note of it.

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #2,528 of 4,495
I just got a set of lemo-to-3.5mm adapters from AffinityCables (one-week turnaround time including expedited shipping from SG to the US - not bad!). So now I'm using it to try out the stock Utopia cable (OG version) with the Stellia.

The stock Utopia cable is noticeably warmer and fuller-sounding compared to the stock Stellia (XLR) cable. Coming out of a neutral DAC/amp like the DAVE, it's not necessarily a bad sound at all. However, if someone finds the stock Stellia cable to sound "like a mitten" (that's the description someone used on this thread earlier, which makes me lol), then the stock Utopia cable would probably have to get a rating of two mittens.

🧤🧤

Just thought I'd make a note of it.

Why did you get the Lemo to 3.5 adapters? Just to use the cables or to prevent the 3.5 jack from wearing out?

Jul 22, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #2,529 of 4,495
Alot of people in the Sony z1r thread have been bashing on the stellias. Am I the only that thinks that these are a step above?

No, the Stellia are above and beyond. The z1r sounded great with some of my music, and with other titles it sounded off with the harsh treble, but by a large margin. I sold my z1r and never looked back. Rarely I had an easier time to decide between two headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #2,530 of 4,495
Got a pair of these inbound tomorrow which I’m very excited about. I’ve only heard them at CanJam on the Focal Arche amp but they sounded fantastic! And if they synergize as well with my Niimbus US4+ as well as the Utopias do then they won’t be leaving my head for a good long while. I’ll be comparing them to my ZMF Verité C and to a lesser extent my DCA Aeon 2C’s. I’m thinking the Stellia will match or exceed the VC’s for sound quality and they’ve got some of the portability of the Aeon 2C’s. I’m predicting the latter two will get sold eventually. Probably get a Verité Open at that point but that’s another story.

So, how the the VC vs Stellia experience for you so far?

Jul 22, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #2,531 of 4,495
Why did you get the Lemo to 3.5 adapters? Just to use the cables or to prevent the 3.5 jack from wearing out?
To be able to use my favorite cable, which has lemo connectors (Wireworld Platinum Nano Eclipse). It's unfortunately out for repair at the moment though.

Jul 22, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #2,532 of 4,495
I am not entirely sure what it is about the H2/Stellia combo, or specifically in my office environment, but it's just amazing.

For some reason at work the pairing just seems even better than when i've tried it at home. And it's even quieter at home!

The only difference is that in my office I run the H2 off mains power, at home it's battery (i've run out of power plugs at my desk).

There isn't meant to be a difference when running off mains is there? It's still the battery?

Jul 22, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #2,533 of 4,495
I am not entirely sure what it is about the H2/Stellia combo, or specifically in my office environment, but it's just amazing.

For some reason at work the pairing just seems even better than when i've tried it at home. And it's even quieter at home!

The only difference is that in my office I run the H2 off mains power, at home it's battery (i've run out of power plugs at my desk).

There isn't meant to be a difference when running off mains is there? It's still the battery?

How about the subjective factor? Could it be that the listening experience is just more satisfying for some personal/subjective reasons in location A than in location B?

I'm always thinking about that sort of stuff. Not necessarily coming up with satisfying answers though. :)

Jul 22, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #2,534 of 4,495
For the time being I canceled my Luxman P-750U analog balanced headphone amplifier. My current theory is that my Focal Stellia flagship headphones simply begs for freedom. They’re easy to drive, closed-back for isolation, and still sounds spectacular. Like a laptop I want to use my Stellia on any chair, couch, day trip, and coffee shop laptop session. The Focal Utopia and HIFIMAN Susvara open-back headphones can reside at my PC tower workstation. I’d much rather use a Noble flagship CIEM for ultra portable use. However, for any other situation I’ll grab my Stellias. And I’ve been thinking about what’s the best transportable source / DAC / headphone amplifier combination to use with them.

I believe I’m going to acquire a Sony NW-WM1Z Walkman. I’ve always wanted one for the sexy copper chassis, the sound, and for Sony’s balanced pentagon 4.4mm headphone jack. That takes care of ultra portable CD quality music listening sessions. However, that still does not support streaming music, digital movies, android smartphones, iPad Pros, or Windows laptops / desktops. For that I’ll desire either a Chord Hugo 2/2Go or a Woo Audio WA8/WA11. Hard to decide, they are all reportedly amazing choices. Is anyone using any of these devices with the Focal Stellia?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #2,535 of 4,495
For the time being I canceled my Luxman P-750U analog balanced headphone amplifier. My current theory is that my Focal Stellia flagship headphones simply begs for freedom. They’re easy to drive, closed-back for isolation, and still sounds spectacular. Like a laptop I want to use my Stellia on any chair, couch, day trip, and coffee shop laptop session. The Focal Utopia and HIFIMAN Susvara open-back headphones can reside at my PC tower workstation. I’d much rather use a Noble flagship CIEM for ultra portable use. However, for any other situation I’ll grab my Stellias. And I’ve been thinking about what’s the best transportable source / DAC / headphone amplifier combination to use with them.

I believe I’m going to acquire a Sony NW-WM1Z Walkman. I’ve always wanted one for the sexy copper chassis, the sound, and for Sony’s balanced pentagon 4.4mm headphone jack. That takes care of ultra portable CD quality music listening sessions. However, that still does not support streaming music, digital movies, android smartphones, iPad Pros, or Windows laptops / desktops. For that I’ll desire either a Chord Hugo 2/2Go or a Woo Audio WA8/WA11. Hard to decide, they are all reportedly amazing choices. Is anyone using any of these devices with the Focal Stellia?
Good luck. I bought the Focal Clear and they sound really good with the NW1Z. I looked into the Stellia, but seems like I can’t find them for less than $2,000 even in the used market. Gonna be a while before that happens

Users who are viewing this thread

Back