Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 1, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #1,636 of 4,482
Finally got the stellia 2 weeks ago. I listened the stellia at Audio46 last July and I was really enjoyed it. But at that time I was not prepared.
Now it is burned in for about 2 weeks. I will say It is one of the most engaged sound I have ever experienced on the closed back.
Never experienced other closed back like stellia before. It's a closed back, but sound almost completely open.
It is very detail, but not fatiguing for long listening sessions like dt 1990, the music just like to flow. I heard some background instruments in some tracks that I have never heard before even in open back headphones.
it is extremely comfortable, even lighter than clear. The headphone just disappear after you put it on. One of the most comfortable headphone I have ever experienced.
My original plan is replacing the clear after getting stellia. But after comparing them for a week, I think I would keep the clear.
Because in some tracks, the bass on stellia sound a little light compare to clear. Although stellia give you more details, clear is a little more balanced and neutral.

What do you think? If sound quality is the top priority to you (no mater open or closed), do you keep stellia or clear if you can only keep one?

Mar 2, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #1,637 of 4,482
Finally got the stellia 2 weeks ago. I listened the stellia at Audio46 last July and I was really enjoyed it. But at that time I was not prepared.
Now it is burned in for about 2 weeks. I will say It is one of the most engaged sound I have ever experienced on the closed back.
Never experienced other closed back like stellia before. It's a closed back, but sound almost completely open.
It is very detail, but not fatiguing for long listening sessions like dt 1990, the music just like to flow. I heard some background instruments in some tracks that I have never heard before even in open back headphones.
it is extremely comfortable, even lighter than clear. The headphone just disappear after you put it on. One of the most comfortable headphone I have ever experienced.
My original plan is replacing the clear after getting stellia. But after comparing them for a week, I think I would keep the clear.
Because in some tracks, the bass on stellia sound a little light compare to clear. Although stellia give you more details, clear is a little more balanced and neutral.

What do you think? If sound quality is the top priority to you (no mater open or closed), do you keep stellia or clear if you can only keep one?
I have heard the Clear side by side with the Stellia and can, honestly, not comprehend why you are thinking about keeping the Clear. Because it´s more mellow sounding?
Anyways, I start to repeat myself (sorry for that), but you should sell the Clear and get you an Arctic Silver upgrade Cable and then you´re probably done with it :wink:

Mar 2, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #1,638 of 4,482
I have heard the Clear side by side with the Stellia and can, honestly, not comprehend why you are thinking about keeping the Clear. Because it´s more mellow sounding?
Anyways, I start to repeat myself (sorry for that), but you should sell the Clear and get you an Arctic Silver upgrade Cable and then you´re probably done with it :wink:
Is there an european reseller for these cables? Though ForzaAudioworks Noir HPC mk2 is pretty good with Stellias, imo. And it costs "only" 300euros 3metres long and with Furutech's XLR.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #1,639 of 4,482
Is there an european reseller for these cables? Though ForzaAudioworks Noir HPC mk2 is pretty good with Stellias, imo. And it costs "only" 300euros 3metres long and with Furutech's XLR.
There is no European reseller. You buy it directly from them. I don't know that specific cable from Forza but I am sure it is great value for that price. But of course it´s copper and not silver, that's why the price difference.

Mar 2, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #1,640 of 4,482
I've just posted my review of the Stellia up on headfonia. They're a genuinely remarkable pair of headphones.

PSX_20200301_123321.jpg
l

Mar 2, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #1,641 of 4,482
I'm sorry but i just have to share my experiences from last weekend; listened lots of different music, but one record is still in my mind. Van Morrison:Three chords and the truth.
There's this one song, You don't understand. That was those moments again when i realized that my current headphone set is just heaven to me. Everything, i mean everything is just the way it should be. Music itself plays a key role.
I just love Stellias. I truly believe this is my final headphone. <3

Mar 2, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #1,642 of 4,482
I've just posted my review of the Stellia up on headfonia. They're a genuinely remarkable pair of headphones.

l
Nice review.:thumbsup:
"They’re addictive in a way that needs to be experienced – they manage to combine detail, dynamics, and tonal balance with aplomb. And, they just so happen to be close-backed. Not once did I find myself missing the air and soundstage of an open-back pair of headphones – if anything I grew to appreciate the ‘cocoon’ the Stellia formed around my head."

Stellias truly compine detail, dynamics and tonal balance. And huge resolution. What is rare is that those are compined with musicality also. Stellias are very, very good to convey the essence of music to the listener.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #1,643 of 4,482

I do not know the clear well but i owned the utopia. For classical music alone, I do prefer the utopias. But I did keep the Stellia since they were more versatile for different genres. Considering the added advantages of comfort and being closed, it was an easy decision. So my answer is - what do you mostly listen to? And then decide. Sound quality alone cannot be measured on its own, the headphone should correspond with use and users preference.

Mar 2, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #1,644 of 4,482

They present differently. I too found the bass in the Stellia a bit off at times though I never found it light. The Stellia needs a lot of time to show it true colours though, and a new cable apparently. Maybe try a non-stock cable?

Mar 2, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #1,645 of 4,482
Great suggestion. I will live with the clear for one more week and I will make the final decision. Clear sounds better only on some tracks. Clear still have more spaciousness due to open design. But I enjoy more on Stellia than clear.

Mar 2, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #1,646 of 4,482
Does anyone else get clicking noises (without cables attached) when they turn their head left to right? It only happens in my left ear cup, not sure why, it's happened since the beginning, sound quality is not affected at all. Even when I am chewing it happens...

** EDIT **. Reseated the pad... wish I did that so much sooner. Good lord.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #1,647 of 4,482
I do not know the clear well but i owned the utopia. For classical music alone, I do prefer the utopias. But I did keep the Stellia since they were more versatile for different genres. Considering the added advantages of comfort and being closed, it was an easy decision. So my answer is - what do you mostly listen to? And then decide. Sound quality alone cannot be measured on its own, the headphone should correspond with use and users preference.
I listen music almost from every genres, and Stellia handles them all with a firm grip. That's one of the Stellias strong assets. Among others. Though Blues is my favorite colour.:musical_score:

Mar 4, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #1,648 of 4,482
I just pulled the trigger on the Stellia as well, and am waiting for them to arrive. But after reading a couple of posts above, I’m now kind of upset, honestly.

Literally no professional reviews I have read have stated that the Stellia has lighter bass than the Clear... In fact, all report the Stellia as having slightly more bass than the Clear.

But two users on this page just stated that the Clear has deeper bass...

I have the Clear and the Elegia, and while I much prefer the Clear (mostly because the Elegia is a little bass-light), I end up listening to the Elegia more because I need the isolation.

Based on the pro reviews I read, I thought the Stellia would be a slight overall improvement on the Clear with slightly more bass, and, of course, the isolation that I needed. That sounded like exactly what I wanted. I find the bass on the Clear just about perfect... A tiny bit more would be fine, maybe even better... but I definitely wouldn’t want any less.

I spent $799 on the Clear (The Source AV was blowing them out). The Stellia just set me back $2699. I’m going to be pretty annoyed if it’s bass-light compared to the Clear... I already have a bass-light Elegia. I don’t need a mega-expensive headphone with the same fault...

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #1,649 of 4,482
Don't hurry to jump into early conclusions without hearing and upset your self.
I have the Clear and heard extensively the Stellia.
They are not bass light at all , they are just different presentations , I think that you would like them.
And of course there are a huge step over the Elegia.

Mar 4, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #1,650 of 4,482
Don't hurry to jump into early conclusions without hearing and upset your self.
I have the Clear and heard extensively the Stellia.
They are not bass light at all , they are just different presentations , I think that you would like them.
And of course there are a huge step over the Elegia.
It’s just starting to feel like what happened when I got the Elegia, lol... I read all the Pro reviews talking about how great they were, and how the bass was more than enough, so I ordered them. Then I checked here while I was waiting for them to arrive... And everyone was saying they were bass light. They arrived, and sure enough people here were right, and the pro reviewers were deaf. You’d think I’d have learned my lesson and checked here before ordering the Stellia, ha ha.

Anyway, I hope they have at least the same amount of bass as the Clear... Anything less is not going to work for me, honestly. I could be happy with just the slightest amount more, but no less...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back