Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 28, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #1,606 of 4,499
IMO the Utopias are better resolvers than the Stellias. They also extract more detail (or the detail is at least more noticeable).
I haven’t heard Utopias, but i like to listen music. Not details. :)
Stellias are my heaven, i can’t imagine what else there should be more. Or less.
Everything is just right. It’s easy just relax and enjoy for music itself.

Feb 28, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #1,608 of 4,499
I haven’t heard Utopias, but i like to listen music. Not details. :)
Stellias are my heaven, i can’t imagine what else there should be more. Or less.
Everything is just right. It’s easy just relax and enjoy for music itself.

I was responding to this question: Would it be fair to say the utopia are better in sense of detail, resolution and imaging?

:)

Feb 28, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #1,609 of 4,499
I was responding to this question: Would it be fair to say the utopia are better in sense of detail, resolution and imaging?

:)

given the Utopias are open backed unlike the Stellias there would be some advantages. I needed cb so chose the Stellias which give a very good account of itself. For open backed I prefer Stax.

Feb 28, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #1,611 of 4,499
IMO the Utopias are better resolvers than the Stellias. They also extract more detail (or the detail is at least more noticeable).

yes,for sure they resolve better. They are also much brighter and harder to drive, and have a more focused bass.
At the end, it depends what you enjoy most and want to do listen to.
With my DAP, the Stellia are a big winner against the utopia because of what I listen to. For classical music on my big amp, yeah, I do miss the utopia.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #1,612 of 4,499
yes,for sure they resolve better. They are also much brighter and harder to drive, and have a more focused bass.
With my DAP, the Stellia are a big winner against the utopia because of what I listen to. For classical music on my big amp, yeah, I do miss the utopia.

Agree, the bass is more focussed - and less boomy.

Feb 28, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #1,616 of 4,499
Stellia needs a higly resolving DAC first and foremost along with good synergy and tonal balance.The first thing i commented on a greek forum was that they change drastically in character and technical performance more than any HP i heard.I listened to them through naim DAC-V1 and they sounded awful.The high frequencies had disappeared,like a double veil had covered them,everything sounded muddy,thick,slow with no air,sparkle,noticeable lack of details in the mids and the bass,well let's not talk about it.
Everyone agreed,it sounded too warm,muddy and veiled throughtout the spectrum.

Then Brooklyn DAC first gen brought back the detail and a good tonal balance,a studio monitoring sound,slightly on the bright side with good soundstage dimension in width,depth and less so in height but the mids were a bit sharp and too thin.Granted it was unbalanced but the guitar strings lacked proper dimension,weight and naturalness they sounded like sticks. Vocals were ok though,airy and clear.

The Arche which i recently bought is doing everything good to very good with proper tonality and soundstage dimensions but it is not as resolving as the Ultima M.Now i only listened it through a couple of daps with the stock coaxial cable and even then the sound signature changes ever so slightly,along with the soundstage but i have ordered a usb heimdall 2 to connect to pc along with the arctic cable everyone here is raving about so i will withhold final impressions.

The only certain conclusion is i still haven't heard what the Stellias are capable but i got a pretty good idea of the possibilities when connected to AK Ultima,it needs more DAC power than AMP power it seems.

Feb 28, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #1,618 of 4,499
i don't recall thinking that the utopia was "much brighter" than the stellia whenever i've compared them. and to say that the utopia is harder to drive than the stellia doesn't mean much imo, when both cans are so efficient that they can be driven to ear-splititng levels by a cell phone.

Feb 28, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #1,619 of 4,499
i don't recall thinking that the utopia was "much brighter" than the stellia whenever i've compared them. and to say that the utopia is harder to drive than the stellia doesn't mean much imo, when both cans are so efficient that they can be driven to ear-splititng levels by a cell phone.

Hm, I must say this does not correspond with my experience at all. For sure the Utopias are efficient to drive, but they sound harsh and unpleasant on lesser gear. They only show their true magic with higher end equipment. And I found them much brighter than the Stellia, I owned both at the same time for a couple of weeks before selling the Utopia. Anyway, M2C.

Feb 28, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #1,620 of 4,499
Hm, I must say this does not correspond with my experience at all. For sure the Utopias are efficient to drive, but they sound harsh and unpleasant on lesser gear. They only show their true magic with higher end equipment. And I found them much brighter than the Stellia, I owned both at the same time for a couple of weeks before selling the Utopia. Anyway, M2C.
my point was that both the utopia and stellia are efficient headphones that are easy to drive. how well they paired to your ears with "lesser gear" as you describe it, is a different matter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back