Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 26, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #1,156 of 4,509
Just a few posts up I had commented that the headband darkens the more you handle it . Earlier in the thread this was also mentioned. The leather is basically not coated to prevent grease from hands and fingers changing the colour. I assume the same is true of the leather behind the back of the cups.

There really isn't much you can do. But how are you managing to touch the leather there? Earlier in the thread there was a suggestion from the UK distributor to use baby wipes. This is NOT a good idea as they tend to contain alcohol which will dry out the leather. And it contains oil which will darken the leather.

You can try little water on an ear tip I guess but do not scrub. But I reckon it's just a fact of life with these headphones .
Many thanks Jon. I'll do as advised. Clearly Stellias need a lot of care! :)

Sep 27, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #1,158 of 4,509
Just a few posts up I had commented that the headband darkens the more you handle it . Earlier in the thread this was also mentioned. The leather is basically not coated to prevent grease from hands and fingers changing the colour. I assume the same is true of the leather behind the back of the cups.

There really isn't much you can do. But how are you managing to touch the leather there? Earlier in the thread there was a suggestion from the UK distributor to use baby wipes. This is NOT a good idea as they tend to contain alcohol which will dry out the leather. And it contains oil which will darken the leather.

You can try little water on an ear tip I guess but do not scrub. But I reckon it's just a fact of life with these headphones .

the leather appears to be untreated with the ear pads darkening first and fortunately uniformly whereas the headband darkens more unevenly which is a bit rubbish for a £3k headphone, which should be able put up with regular careful use. I’ve used the chemical free water based baby wipes recommended which do clean but make very little difference to improve the discolouration.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #1,159 of 4,509
Hi all, any tips on how to look after the leather in the Stellia, in particular the leather in the cups, behind the metal cutout? It is starting to blacken, is there anything that can be done about it?
Apologies if this was discussed earlier in the thread, did a few Google searches and nothing came up.

My advise: Lean back on your comfy chair and pour in a good whiskey and listen to your favorite tunes ... and do that for a year or so (maybe without the daily whiskey - we don’t want to stress our liver) and then the leather hopefully will be darkened everywhere and it will look better than now (I do like the darker brown even more) :wink:

Sep 27, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #1,160 of 4,509
My advise: Lean back on your comfy chair and pour in a good whiskey and listen to your favorite tunes ... and do that for a year or so (maybe without the daily whiskey - we don’t want to stress our liver) and then the leather hopefully will be darkened everywhere and it will look better than now (I do like the darker brown even more) :wink:
Well many who have OCD have turned enjoying music into focusing on a problem a fault.

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #1,161 of 4,509
Well many who have OCD have turned enjoying music into focusing on a problem a fault.

Wear matters, it’s all about the resale, after all I’m only renting these before the next essential fix arrives :wink:

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #1,162 of 4,509
Wear matters, it’s all about the resale, after all I’m only renting these before the next essential fix arrives :wink:
2000 usd to rent for some months , that's logical.

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #1,163 of 4,509
2000 usd to rent for some months , that's logical.

Or if you buy and sell at the right price you might be looking at £300-500 cost of ownership for 9-12 months, which had proved to be the average life span of the hp’s in my life. Different strokes and all that which I’m comfortable with but I’m not saying you have to be :)

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #1,164 of 4,509
Or if you buy and sell at the right price you might be looking at £300-500 cost of ownership for 9-12 months, which had proved to be the average life span of the hp’s in my life. Different strokes and all that which I’m comfortable with but I’m not saying you have to be :)
True , different stroke , some men stroke other men and some stroke women.

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #1,165 of 4,509
Sep 28, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #1,166 of 4,509

I can understand that. Its a great way to get to try the latest and greatest. Hopefully you write a review or two. I’m the guy that follows along 9 months later and saves 300-400 on an almost new pair of phones so that works for me too.

By the way, I’m thinking I could use a pair of ZMFs in nine months or so.. Just saying.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #1,167 of 4,509
I can understand that. Its a great way to get to try the latest and greatest. Hopefully you write a review or two. I’m the guy that follows along 9 months later and saves 300-400 on an almost new pair of phones so that works for me too.

By the way, I’m thinking I could use a pair of ZMFs in nine months or so.. Just saying.

While we are at it, the HE6se is on sale half price at adorama, in about 6 months a used pair for an additional $300-500 off would really hit the spot TBH.

Sep 28, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #1,168 of 4,509

an eminently more cost effective and sensible approach than mine. Unfortunately this one area in my life where self-control and too often sense as well, are in short supply. :wink:

Sep 28, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #1,169 of 4,509
the leather appears to be untreated with the ear pads darkening first and fortunately uniformly whereas the headband darkens more unevenly which is a bit rubbish for a £3k headphone, which should be able put up with regular careful use. I’ve used the chemical free water based baby wipes recommended which do clean but make very little difference to improve the discolouration.

The same is true of Apple's brown leather iPhone cases. They darken the more you handle them. It does seem a strange decision not to treat the leather though. However I understand the inside of the ear cups and the headband darkening. What I can't get is the other poster who got the leather on the outside of the earcups behind the metal "grid" to darken!!

Sep 28, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #1,170 of 4,509
The same is true of Apple's brown leather iPhone cases. They darken the more you handle them. It does seem a strange decision not to treat the leather though. However I understand the inside of the ear cups and the headband darkening. What I can't get is the other poster who got the leather on the outside of the earcups behind the metal "grid" to darken!!

The ear cups arent an issue because they colour in a uniform manner, its the headband which discolours working around from underneath and up over the top. I have shaved head which probably doesnt help, but i'm pretty careful about how i use them, they never leave the house, live on a stand or in the case. But if the band is contact with your head and you are bald or shaved headed, even if your not obviously sweating, sweat/ moisture will still be absorbed by the band. I think it was an oversight on Focal's part and they should have treated the leather. My utopias looked like new by the time i sold them and my elegias which i use everyday while travelling and on location, have pretty hard life and look like new. I enquired with the UK distributor, and brace yourselves, a replacement headband is over £1000 fitted. Obviously none of this effects the sound, you cant see it when they're on, and you could wrap the band in a protective cover, but the build and cosmetic aspect are all part of a £3K price tag and they should be up to normal usage

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back