Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 12, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #76 of 4,499
The materials look high quality in the head-fi YouTube video. I'd assume the target market for these is not the typical head-fi user and, from that perspective, do a great job of fitting with their target consumer's expectation for a high quality wearable item.

I think the more natural-colored and grained leather exudes high-end, as well as the leather pads. I am disappointed, however, they didn't use a colored carbon fiber yoke. The 3.5mm connectors are logical given the number of cables included (lemo connectors aren't cheap).

Perhaps not for me, or most, but if I was in the market for a high-end closed back, the design certainly wouldn't prevent me from purchasing.

Feb 12, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #80 of 4,499
My friends are demo'ing these at the moment. I get to listen to them next month, and will probably purchase as I'm looking for a high-end closed back set of phones.

Feb 12, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #81 of 4,499
The looks are apparently polarizing. Casting my vote for they look stunning in a good way. I'll be sure to give them a listen when I can get to a canjam later this year. I'll probably prefer the Abyss or Empyrean as I like the bass more than the Utopia which I sold. Now if they could bottle the Sopra No 3 I really enjoyed those speakers in some of the rooms I've visited.

Feb 13, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #82 of 4,499
Feb 13, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #83 of 4,499
My nickname for these is the Focal Root Beer

:beer:

They would go perfectly with the Rolex GMT-Master II Root Beer. :grin:

Rolex-GMT-Master-II-Rolesor-Everose-Root-Beer-126711-CHNR-Baselworld-2018-2.jpg

Interested to see how Stellia compares to other closed-back headphones, especially TH900.
Not really interested in open backed headphones, and if Stellia is really the be-all-end-all of closed headphones I could probably swing 3k€ for them and sell my TH900s.

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #84 of 4,499
What do you mean? Why?

I find the Elegia to have the ideal frequency tonal balance, so the new one looks a little bass-humpy for me, around the 100hZ area. But graphs don't tell the story so I would need to hear them for sure. The two might complement each other very well.

I found that the Elegia sounded sucked out, thin and nasaly. I like bassy headphones yes but I also love AKG's which are notoriously bass light; I thought the over all sonic balance was weird and off. YMMV

Feb 13, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #87 of 4,499
Each to their own I guess, but I don’t undestand dropping $3k on a pair of closed back headphones (with the compromises that usuallly brings).

If you are concerned about portability/sound insulation why wouldn’t you go for a high end IEM for $1k to $2k? There are plenty of wonderful options. And unless you are driving the headphones with a really high end portable device what’s the point of such an expensive headphone? I take my Utopias with me when I travel for hotel use. They are magic. But do I need a closed back version for the plane, train or the office? No I don’t - that’s what my noise cancelling headphones are for. Does my Mojo/Poly match what my home system can produce. No it doesn’t. Not even close (even if it is amazing for a portable device). And I dont think the Stellias are meant for gym use...

As I say each to their own but I’m puzzled. It’s like buying a hypercar for a go kart track shod with crappy tyres as opposed to a poper race track with a set of Pirellli Zero Trofeo Rs...

As for the looks I kind of like them - but I’m worried about the trend towards the super luxury look. It reeks of Gucci, Hermes, Rolex and Co. We’ve seen what happened with high end loudspeakers... Who is the target buyer for these?

But if they match or get close to the Utopias for $1k less then forget everything I’ve just said - I’m in!!

Feb 13, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #88 of 4,499
what a hipster headphone. i'm definetly not part of the target group. A lot overprized. The marketing pictures with this slippery models make me want to puke. the focal image is not my cup of tea.
Hipsters can’t afford these...

But I agree with the sentiment.

Feb 13, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #89 of 4,499
Each to their own I guess, but I don’t undestand dropping $3k on a pair of closed back headphones (with the compromises that usuallly brings).

If you are concerned about portability/sound insulation why wouldn’t you go for a high end IEM for $1k to $2k? There are plenty of wonderful options. And unless you are driving the headphones with a really high end portable device what’s the point of such an expensive headphone? I take my Utopias with me when I travel for hotel use. They are magic. But do I need a closed back version for the plane, train or the office? No I don’t - that’s what my noise cancelling headphones are for. Does my Mojo/Poly match what my home system can produce. No it doesn’t. Not even close (even if it is amazing for a portable device). And I dont think the Stellias are meant for gym use...

As I say each to their own but I’m puzzled. It’s like buying a hypercar for a go kart track shod with crappy tyres as opposed to a poper race track with a set of Pirellli Zero Trofeo Rs...

As for the looks I kind of like them - but I’m worried about the trend towards the super luxury look. It reeks of Gucci, Hermes, Rolex and Co. We’ve seen what happened with high end loudspeakers... Who is the target buyer for these?

But if they match or get close to the Utopias for $1k less then forget everything I’ve just said - I’m in!!

Can't use open-backed headphones with girlfriend in the same room, so I'd rather get a good pair of closed headphones, and put rest of the money towards speakers.
Headphones are for private music listening, that's how I view them anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back