Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Apr 18, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #586 of 4,488
....Sp1000 and all will be depply contendet with Stellia and also Empyrean with 2.5 mm balanced cable...but open your eyes...very interesting gadgets will come soon in the near time future for our headphones...and in my opinion...forget the solid state amps....this time is over now..the Daps are the future

You will see it soon why lol

NOMAX

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #587 of 4,488
....Sp1000 and all will be depply contendet with Stellia and also Empyrean with 2.5 mm balanced cable...but open your eyes...very interesting gadgets will come soon in the near time future for our headphones...and in my opinion...forget the solid state amps....this time is over now..the Daps are the future

NOMAX

Agree solid state is dead but it’s all about new wave tube amps, not compromised cottage industry built ergonomically flawed hyper expensive iPods :wink:

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #588 of 4,488

NOMAX
I have both sp1000 and z1 which i love recently i bought a solid state desktop bryston amp from a friend, ohhh boy there is a difference..... despite the price difference

İ dont know about the future but now i am thinking a SPL xe

Apr 19, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #589 of 4,488

NOMAX
Care to elaborate?

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #591 of 4,488
was able to give the Stellia a quick listen here while traveling in Thailand.

tbh I was quick to judge and bash their appearance from pictures online but in person they look amazing!
MVIMG_20190419_135023.jpg

regarding sound
I find myself agreeing with what @guitardave had to say when comparing the Stellia to the Utopia.

Apr 22, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #592 of 4,488
I have the Stellia and my friend has the Elegia. They are the same as far as "leaking sound" is concerned. Just depends on each person's fit. The linear indent that everyone has behind the ear and running down the the neck is a little deeper for me than my friend, so both headphone leak more with me than for my friend, who's neck isn't as stringy as mine.

Apr 22, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #593 of 4,488
Since you have both the Utopia and the Stellia's, would you be able to comment on their similarities or differences in sound signature? I've read that they sound very different and that it isn't just a function of one being open vs closed. What are your thoughts? I love my Clears and wouldn't want the Stellia to sound too similar. If I'm getting another headphone, I would want something better and different.

The Stellia and Utopia are completely different beasts. While they both have the same incredible transients (attack and decay), at least, such is my impression when listening to acoustic music, the Utopia is very impactful and "in your face" while the Stellia is considerably more laid back. To my weak ears, I would say the Stellia has the transients of the Utopia, and a sound profile much much closer to the Clear.

Apr 25, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #595 of 4,488
The Stellia and Utopia are completely different beasts. While they both have the same incredible transients (attack and decay), at least, such is my impression when listening to acoustic music, the Utopia is very impactful and "in your face" while the Stellia is considerably more laid back. To my weak ears, I would say the Stellia has the transients of the Utopia, and a sound profile much much closer to the Clear.
Exactly which in my mind makes them the almost perfect Focal HP. If these were open, I would say Utopia..........What's that?

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #596 of 4,488
I gotta find some place to audition these...

Apr 27, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #597 of 4,488
Just received a review unit...wow these are nicely made. They do cost a small "fortune" but at least they feel really premium (way ahead of any HiFiMAN I've tried)
Cannot agree more. I've had a hifiman edition X v2 yoke break on me and ever since I'm reluctant to buy anything that isn't a tank. Focals are tanks. I can buy focal headphones :) Stellia is amazing, both in style and sound.

Apr 28, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #598 of 4,488
Anyone can share some great Amp (or Amp/DAC) synergy with the Stellia?
They sound not bad at all through my Jotunheim and my CTH, but I'm curious to know about better pairings...

Apr 28, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #599 of 4,488
They sound not bad at all through my Jotunheim and my CTH, but I'm curious to know about better pairings...
I have paired with Ifi Micro Black Label and Woo Topaz. Both great, but Topaz makes them very spacious.

Apr 28, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #600 of 4,488

This is a great question.

I'm still debating on what amp to get with the Stellia.

These days, for the DAC side of the equation, while there are differences, I'm not as picky. I was very hard core into the Chord Hugo2 with it's incredible transients. But, even the AK4490 has very good transients in some boxes. The RME ADI-2, for me, works just fine. Maybe not quite as much prominence to subtler sounds compared to the H2, and for some rare pieces, the H2 is preferred, but most of the time, I'm listening to the ADI-2 despite its older chipset.

The amp, on the other hand, is a pretty big deal, and I'm trying to figure out what amp is best for the Stellia.

I keep reading about folks emphasizing a wider soundstage with the right amp, but since I don't own a really good amp outside of the iFi iCan Pro, there's not way for me to understand/imagine what other folks are talking about. So, am hoping to figure out what amp to get. Really not sure. With my limited budget, the next amp will have to be carefully thought out. Eddie Current is on my list right now, but damn...that is a fair number of months worth of "audio budget".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back