Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Jun 6, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #2,161 of 4,488
I really like my Stellia with the ADI-2 and think about a "portable" version which is really small for my smartphone.
What do you guys think of the combination of:

Stellia + E1DA 9038s + Meze Balanced 2.5mm 99 SERIES SILVER PLATED UPGRADE CABLES

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #2,163 of 4,488
I want to write a little bit more of my experiences:

I received the ADI-2 and Stellia and tested a lot. The combination sound soooo nice. I have to say that I have no comparision in this league! My most expensive headphones that I tested was the Denon D7200. I liked the bass, but it was sometimes to much, not so much details and not so well balanced for all genres in comparision.

I had with the stellias not at the beginning a wow effect, but after a while my hearing have got used to the Stellia and they sound better and better to me. I really enjoy the clear sound and dynamic. The sound is for my test really balanced. The balance of details and "fun" are exactly right (can't explain very good). I have the impression that the engineers won't force you only with detailed sound and didn't forget that music listening is fun. I think that sums it up.

After a while I switched to my old closed headphone and can't believe the difference. I remembered that much better. I really like the sound signature of the Stellia. I think for almost every genre. At the moment I'm looking for a 3.5mm unbalanced cable and a 2.5mm balanced.

I like the stock cable in general, but especially for quiet tracks its too microphonic :frowning2:
At the moment I think about to buy a really small portable version like the E1DA and in the future probably a bigger portable DAC like the Hugo, but I'm not shure about the E1DA.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #2,165 of 4,488
Wondering how many of you long term users identify with Crinacle's Headphone Ranking List that doesn't seem to have good things to say about Stellia or Elegia.
If he can't get a good seal with the Stellias then maybe he has a narrow noggin? (not suggesting he has a narrow mind to go with it :ksc75smile: )When I read things like that I tend to think that maybe another pair should have been tried in case the first pair have a problem.

Case in point is someone I know just took delivery of a pair of Clears and reckons they are absolute rubbish by comparison to his 10 year old Shure Ear Buds - so much so that he wants to return them. Reckons they should priced at a coupla hundred bucks. I'm wondering if they are faulty (they were B stock). It just doesn't sound right to me that a highly regarded HP (Clear) could be that bad, or that someone could find the Stellias to be C grade when almost everyone on here thinks they're fabbo (and many have the Utopias as well to compare them with....which Crinacle rates as #1)

Jun 7, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #2,166 of 4,488
So I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Stellia. I really hope I can get a good seal with the new set..

Ordered from a guy called Ming (someone recommended him a few pages back) and am hoping I can get the headphone in the next 1 or 2 weeks.

Will be using it with a silver Arctic Cable (for my Utopia, but with ultrashort adaptors from Sean at Affinity Cables). If the new Stellia fit is good, it will likely be my office cans with the matrix audio X-Sabre Pro and Headamp GSX-Mini. Will also see how it pairs with the iBasso dx220 and if it goes well, the Stellia will be my travel headphones (travel... Lol.. I almost forgot what that is..).

Jun 7, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #2,167 of 4,488
So I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Stellia. I really hope I can get a good seal with the new set..

Ordered from a guy called Ming (someone recommended him a few pages back) and am hoping I can get the headphone in the next 1 or 2 weeks.

Will be using it with a silver Arctic Cable (for my Utopia, but with ultrashort adaptors from Sean at Affinity Cables). If the new Stellia fit is good, it will likely be my office cans with the matrix audio X-Sabre Pro and Headamp GSX-Mini. Will also see how it pairs with the iBasso dx220 and if it goes well, the Stellia will be my travel headphones (travel... Lol.. I almost forgot what that is..).
Since the short adapters are probably only copper, at least nothing like UPOCC, you might loose the effect of the Arctic Cable, which would be sad. But try them and let us know. You know you can always reach out to Roy from Arctic Cables so he can make you adapters in the same quality as your main cable (I’m sure for a good price), too!

Jun 7, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #2,168 of 4,488
Wondering how many of you long term users identify with Crinacle's Headphone Ranking List that doesn't seem to have good things to say about Stellia or Elegia.
I would be especially interested what you guys who have the Utopia and the Stellia are saying to his measurements? I don’t know, but my feeling says that there has to be something wrong because if they would be so much worse compared to the Utopia, then nobody would own both (or sell the Utopia after hearing the Stellia).

That being said, I don‘t care much about measurements. Oh, and I had the Cascades and sold them again (long before I had the Stellia), and it’s totally laughable that he has the Cascades above the Stellia. The Cascade is completely off. So much bass. Fake resolution through lifted upper mids. A horror. So, I guess I answered my question myself. There has to be something off with his measurement.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #2,169 of 4,488
I would be especially interested what you guys who have the Utopia and the Stellia are saying to his measurements? I don’t know, but my feeling says that there has to be something wrong because if they would be so much worse compared to the Utopia, then nobody would own both (or sell the Utopia after hearing the Stellia).

That being said, I don‘t care much about measurements. Oh, and I had the Cascades and sold them again (long before I had the Stellia), and it’s totally laughable that he has the Cascades above the Stellia. The Cascade is completely off. So much bass. Fake resolution through lifted upper mids. A horror. So, I guess I answered my question myself. There has to be something off with his measurement.
Is he actually measuring anything with instruments or is his main instrument his possibly slender noggin?
"I’m only human; I may miss out on certain details or traits that may only be apparent with repeated listening."
and
"Ranks will be determined based on the best unit tried. .... I cannot guarantee that what I’m hearing is what you will be hearing."

I note he says tried, not measured. If he is also taking measurements why has he not elucidated that? All sounds very subjective to me.

Jun 7, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #2,170 of 4,488
Is he actually measuring anything with instruments or is his main instrument his possibly slender noggin?
"I’m only human; I may miss out on certain details or traits that may only be apparent with repeated listening."
and
"Ranks will be determined based on the best unit tried. .... I cannot guarantee that what I’m hearing is what you will be hearing."

I note he says tried, not measured. If he is also taking measurements why has he not elucidated that? All sounds very subjective to me.
I don’t want to bash his measurements per se, because they were quite helpful regarding his IEM measurements. Not because they were „good“ measurements but more so because all his measurements were done the same way, so it was great to compare all his measurements. I just don’t know if his measurement technique is able to do the same for headphones because seal etc. is very important. If it’s done too fast and not correct everything is screwed up.

Jun 7, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #2,171 of 4,488
Jun 7, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #2,172 of 4,488
and

he takes headphone measurements (objective data point) and gives his subjective impressions

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #2,173 of 4,488
I don’t want to bash his measurements per se, because they were quite helpful regarding his IEM measurements. Not because they were „good“ measurements but more so because all his measurements were done the same way, so it was great to compare all his measurements. I just don’t know if his measurement technique is able to do the same for headphones because seal etc. is very important. If it’s done too fast and not correct everything is screwed up.
he measures each headphone from five different positions. you can read about his headphone measuring methodology at his website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back