Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
May 31, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #2,132 of 4,488
The conclusions is, for Doom Metal you can use both balanced and single ended. In most other cases, I’d stick to balanced.
Thanks for your effort! Your conclusion makes sense - one would only be expecting or looking for extra quality from well recorded and delivered music. In the case of Ray Brown and his Super Bass buddies, it is also a wall of bass, albeit well recorded and delivered. Whilst there was a difference, it would not be enough to justify balanced additional cost, but in the case of Capriccio Italien and Sacred Love it would certainly justify the cost. Sacred Love in particular was a revelation of balanced vs unbalanced.

As ever, it comes down to what one listens to.

May 31, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #2,133 of 4,488
I think about to extend the Budget to 1000€ and to try the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. But without an additional amp there is only an unbalanced output. Is that a big disadvantage?

Especially because of what FenceFurniture wrote, balanced is a must have?!? However, the RME ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition is too expensive for me and I don't know if it makes sense to combine the ADI-2 with the SMSL SP200 THX 888 only for balanced reasons with the Stellia.
I have an RME ADI-2 DAC FS...don´t feel the need to add any amp, this thing has enough juice to power my Heddphone...so the Stellia would be no issue!

May 31, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #2,134 of 4,488
Any advance on this question please? The complete radio silence of a severed cable so far....:smile_phones:
Capture.JPG

From the Arche instruction manual, which looks promising:

Capture1.JPG
I have just received confirmation from the Australian Distributor for Focal that the Arche pre-amp can indeed be used before a pair of active studio monitors and a sub-woof.

Jun 1, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #2,137 of 4,488
In that case, what is the point of having the balanced output, assuming it costs extra to manufacture it, and must include some compromise to physically fit it in to such a small device?
thats a good question. Maybe so we don’t need to buy new cables or whatever. But I just wanted to point out that, if taking it serious with an unbalanced output, it could also be great.

Jun 1, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #2,139 of 4,488
I'm listening to my Stellia tonight after a weekend just using my Utopia and these headphones share a lot of similarities and character (thankfully). But what truly impresses me about these closed-back headphones, there is no funky frequency response that pretty much all other closed-back headphones exhibit ("W" or "U" responses mostly). They are just so transparent, effortless and coherent. Exactly what you'd expect of a flagship TOTL closed-back headphone from Focal. I loving having both in the stable so to speak.

Jun 1, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #2,140 of 4,488
I have an RME ADI-2 DAC FS...don´t feel the need to add any amp, this thing has enough juice to power my Heddphone...so the Stellia would be no issue!

I had my RME ADI-2 DAC FS stacked with the Monolith THX 887 amp, balanced, and found there was no real improvement. The only real difference was a reduction in convenience, such as precise and separate volume control (Phones vs. IEM).

Jun 2, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #2,141 of 4,488
In the absence of a proper HP stand .....

Hoegaarden.jpg

Jun 3, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #2,142 of 4,488
I'm interested to hear what the Brain's Trust thinks of the idea of equalising headphones via the settings from Oratory 1990. (I'd provide a link but a reliable one seems hard to find - I'll work on it)

I'm also kinda curious to understand why (it seems quite a few) people like to have Stellias and Utopias? I'd have thought that it'd be one or t'other depending on primary listening conditions, unless of course one has significant resources. Is it a case of certain types of music suit either Stellia or Utopia, or is it something else?

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #2,144 of 4,488
I really like the Focal Stellia, but I would not buy them again and I will never buy another Focal product. Why? Replacement ear pads from Focal are $170 per pad. The lowest I can find them for online is $250 per pair. Totally outrageous, especially since the pads have a pretty short life. Also, there does not appear to be any 3rd party pads that match the color. I won't support a company that treats their existing customers like this.

Edit: I took out that I would never by another Focal product. I'm angry that they are over charging, but in truth I probably would buy from them again as their products are excellent.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #2,145 of 4,488
I really like the Focal Stellia, but I would not buy them again and I will never buy another Focal product. Why? Replacement ear pads from Focal are $170 per pad. The lowest I can find them for online is $250 per pair. Totally outrageous, especially since the pads have a pretty short life. Also, there does not appear to be any 3rd party pads that match the color. I won't support a company that treats their existing customers like this.
What do you mean with "pretty short life"?? The pads are excellent quality. They should work for years ... BUT I am with you concerning the price! On the other hand, we are dealing with luxury headphones here. Of course we would like to have replacement pads for 20 bucks but alas that's not how the game works in this price segment, like they would say: If you buy a Ferrari, don't moan when you have to buy new tires that cost a fortune." Heck, the price of the headphone itself is NOT OK, as well as the price of most other flagship headphones. It is what it is. We will continue to buy those flagship products, and as long as we do, they will increase the price. The game is on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back