Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Mar 6, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #1,712 of 1,765
Yeah. Let me know. I hope it works

Mar 6, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #1,713 of 1,765
Look at this.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-10-mid-priced-sealed-headphone-survey-focal-spirit-professional

This is from the same guy who said that anyone who likes the STAX SR-009 is deaf. -_- I think he has a bad habit of jumping to conclusions about headphones when he's barely even heard them. I mean, he admitted that he only listened to the FSP for two minutes (?!), and then he publishes this "review" of them?! He even said the "bass is thin" and it has "no bottom to speak of." LOL! The FSP has some of the strongest bass (in a good way) I've heard from a headphone. (I've shared this many times before, but here is a link to its measurements with compensation curves superimposed. Its bass follows the Harman curve—represented by the black line—nearly perfectly, but the upper frequencies are recessed quite dramatically, making it sound somewhat warm and dark. Planar magnetic headphones actually follow the diffuse-field curve—represented by the green line—in the bass, so the FSP is arguably a better choice for those who want stronger bass without bothering with EQ.) I owned two FSPs. This guy just shouldn't be publishing stuff like this, especially since he's a mastering engineer with a reputation.

Also thought I'd mention again that the FSP remains my second favorite (MT220 is easily #1 for me) closed headphone, even after owning ~50 headphones.

Mar 6, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #1,714 of 1,765
  Look at this.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-10-mid-priced-sealed-headphone-survey-focal-spirit-professional

This is from the same guy who said that anyone who likes the STAX SR-009 is deaf. -_- I think he has a bad habit of jumping to conclusions about headphones when he's barely even heard them. I mean, he admitted that he only listened to the FSP for two minutes (?!), and then he publishes this "review" of them?! He even said the "bass is thin" and it has "no bottom to speak of." LOL! The FSP has some of the strongest bass (in a good way) I've heard from a headphone. (I've shared this many times before, but here is a link to its measurements with compensation curves superimposed. Its bass follows the Harman curve—represented by the black line—nearly perfectly, but the upper frequencies are recessed quite dramatically, making it sound somewhat warm and dark. Planar magnetic headphones actually follow the diffuse-field curve—represented by the green line—in the bass, so the FSP is arguably a better choice for those who want stronger bass without bothering with EQ.) I owned two FSPs. This guy just shouldn't be publishing stuff like this, especially since he's a mastering engineer with a reputation.

Also thought I'd mention again that the FSP remains my second favorite (MT220 is easily #1 for me) closed headphone, even after owning ~50 headphones.

yeah i dont know why anyone would ever call the focals to have weak bass. far from imho

Mar 9, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #1,715 of 1,765
Anyone here got IEM recommendations that sound similar to the FSP?

Looking for the same sort of aggression, when i compare my m100 to my FSP the FSP is so much more forward, and i love that about them :)
The m100's sound too distant in comparison to the FSP which sounds more direct imho

Edit: i tried the RE 400 and hated them :p

Mar 9, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #1,716 of 1,765
  Look at this.

Have you ever heard the Philips Fidelio L2? I think you'll love it

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #1,717 of 1,765
Anyone here got IEM recommendations that sound similar to the FSP?

Looking for the same sort of aggression, when i compare my m100 to my FSP the FSP is so much more forward, and i love that about them :)
The m100's sound too distant in comparison to the FSP which sounds more direct imho

Edit: i tried the RE 400 and hated them :p

I would recommend the Fostex TE-05 iem. It has great impact/dynamism and is pretty linear/neutral but has a peak in the presence region somewhere. Overall though I feel it presents a solid sub bass without lifting the mid bass like the FSP and has a detailed presentation without being too fatiguing. Higher up the chain I would also recommend the Noble Savant too. Hope this helps.

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #1,718 of 1,765
I would recommend the Fostex TE-05 iem. It has great impact/dynamism and is pretty linear/neutral but has a peak in the presence region somewhere. Overall though I feel it presents a solid sub bass without lifting the mid bass like the FSP and has a detailed presentation without being too fatiguing. Higher up the chain I would also recommend the Noble Savant too. Hope this helps.

Yea I might check those out, maybe the vmoda ZN?

Apr 16, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #1,719 of 1,765
Hi guys,

listened to these today and was very impressed. I have decided to get them, but I'd like to make them a little more comfortable. Has anyone modified their headband? I was thinking of using padding for HD-600 (yes, super ugly) or Beyerdynamic:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Foam-Headband-HD600-HD580/dp/B00J80IMJ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1460842563&sr=1-1&keywords=HD+600+cushion

or

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Leatherette-Universal-Sennheiser-Beyerdynamic/dp/B00862522A/ref=pd_cp_23_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1JG4X6HESABT6JN5Y3EE

or

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-C-0NE-HB-BLACK-Headphones/dp/B00DWXVABA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1460842543&sr=1-1&keywords=custom+one+pro+headband

Does anyone have a Beyerdynamic and the Focal who could tell me whether it fits? :)

Would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Apr 16, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #1,720 of 1,765
Love to know how the modification turns out. I live the sound of the headphones, but hate the mechanical noise. I wondered if adding a headband pad would help.

keep us posted

oops. and forgot... They Beyerdynamic dt770 headband pad does not fit. Won't wrap around all the way and snap. Don't know about the replacement ones.

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #1,721 of 1,765
  Love to know how the modification turns out. I live the sound of the headphones, but hate the mechanical noise. I wondered if adding a headband pad would help.

keep us posted

oops. and forgot... They Beyerdynamic dt770 headband pad does not fit. Won't wrap around all the way and snap. Don't know about the replacement ones.

Will do. Thanks for the info on the DT770.

Apr 18, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #1,722 of 1,765

keep us posted

Hi again, I got the Focal today and tried putting the headband of my DT990 on them (same as 770 AFAIK). If you stretch it out a little bit and start with the inner two buttons, it actually does fit! Hasn't come undone yet either, so it should work fine! I'll probably still try the HD 600 pads to compare comfort.

May 23, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #1,723 of 1,765
Has anyone experimented with post market cables on the fsp?

Wondering how these can be tweaked even better.

May 24, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #1,724 of 1,765
Look what happened to the thread starter!
eek.gif
I used to talk to him all the time...

Has anyone experimented with post market cables on the fsp?

Wondering how these can be tweaked even better.

There are posts scattered throughout this thread about aftermarket cables...but I've only tried a few cheap ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back