Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Oct 30, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #1,636 of 1,765
I find the V-Moda cable on the FSP sounds ok, but the microphonics are excessive. Maybe not in summer, but in winter for those of us in colder climates, even if you run it underneath your clothes, it stiffens up and produces excessive amounts of noise.

How strange...I've never experienced microphonics with cables before, even in winter. Guess I'm lucky!

Oct 31, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #1,637 of 1,765
Just to give an idea of how much I still like the FSP (despite my past criticisms of it), here is my approximate ranking of headphones I have owned, from most to least favorite. Note that this is based on preference only, not necessarily objective sound quality.

STAX SR-207
STAX SR-30
Yamaha HPH-MT220
Focal Spirit Professional (two pairs)
HIFIMAN HE400i
Bose QuietComfort 15
Sennheiser HD 650
Sennheiser HD 700
beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition 600 Ω
Philips SHP9500
Audio-Technica ATH-AD700
Sennheiser HD 590 Prestige
Audio-Technica ATH-M40x
Audio-Technica ATH-M30x
Sony MDR-V6
Sony MDR-7506
NVX XPT100 (two pairs)
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Ultrasone HFI 780
Sennheiser MOMENTUM
MartinLogan Mikros 90
PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+
Sennheiser HD 280 PRO
Pioneer SE-300
V-MODA Crossfade LP
JVC HA-M55X
Stellar Labs 35-5960
Monoprice 8323
Logitech Ultimate Ears 350
Apple iPod Earphones
a dozen or so others

As you can see, I like it more than some more expensive headphones.

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #1,638 of 1,765
My subjective ranking of the FSP in relation to my HP collection would probably look like this off the top of my head:
Noble Wizard Savant IEM (still in my honeymoon phase)
AKG K702 65th Anniversaries
AKG K712
FSP
Grado RS1i
B&O Beoplay H6
Cardas EM5813 IEM
V-Moda M100
Phiaton Bridge MS500
Martin Logan Mikros 90
Monster NTune N-Pulse
Monster Diesel Vektr
SOL V12
SOL XC Calvin Harris Edition

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #1,639 of 1,765
My subjective ranking of the FSP in relation to my HP collection would probably look like this off the top of my head:
Noble Wizard Savant IEM (still in my honeymoon phase)
AKG K702 65th Anniversaries
AKG K712
FSP
Grado RS1i
B&O Beoplay H6
Cardas EM5813 IEM
V-Moda M100
Phiaton Bridge MS500
Martin Logan Mikros 90
Monster NTune N-Pulse
Monster Diesel Vektr
SOL V12
SOL XC Calvin Harris Edition

Nice. I even liked the FSP more than higher-end open headphones like the HE400i, HD 650, and HD 700! (Even though those headphones were technically superior in some ways.) Haven't heard AKG yet, though...

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #1,640 of 1,765
Nice. I even liked the FSP more than higher-end open headphones like the HE400i, HD 650, and HD 700! (Even though those headphones were technically superior in some ways.) Haven't heard AKG yet, though...

I actually haven't heard those HP's you just mentioned here. I surprised myself in preferring the FSP over the Grado RS1i. I like how the FSP seems to have a more even treble response and a very linear bass/sub bass presence to my ears in comparison. I feel like the FSP might have a faster driver response/leading edge compared to the HD 600/650 according to some reviews I've read alluding to a more accurate presentation....hmmmmm.

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #1,641 of 1,765
I actually haven't heard those HP's you just mentioned here. I surprised myself in preferring the FSP over the Grado RS1i. I like how the FSP seems to have a more even treble response and a very linear bass/sub bass presence to my ears in comparison. I feel like the FSP might have a faster driver response/leading edge compared to the HD 600/650 according to some reviews I've read alluding to a more accurate presentation....hmmmmm.

I bet the titanium alloy in the drivers contributes to that. But just wait until you hear STAX. My god...they tower above everything else and sound so much more real, at least for me. You've probably seen my posts about liking the MT220 much more than the FSP too. But the FSP ranking #4 on my list is impressive nonetheless.

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #1,642 of 1,765
I haven't noticed any excessive noise from the V-Moda cables with remote. One cable that clearly makes noise against my coat's collar is Momentum's remote cable. That piece with the buttons and mic is just too high up and too square too, it gets stuck on my coat.

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #1,643 of 1,765
Yes they are more versatile. However they can in my experience actually sound better in some ways.headphones like the Focals, the DT150 and probably Momentums and otherd have a very natural tonality where instruments and vocals just sound correct. A lot of open headphones fail to do this as well? Of course closed struggle to match the 'air' of open ones but can get close. Just saying closed isn't necessarily inferior in absolute sound.

On the subject of Focals I have had my Classics replaced by Focal due to the cracking headband issue. I thought this was rare on Classic. The replacements are redesigned in the area of the swivelling ball joint. The plastic cut out is squarer and there is no longer the thin plastic edge.

On the downside there's less fore and aft articulation than before and the clamp seems stronger. May loosen up over time. still sound absolutely wonderful.

don't knot if any of this relates to the Pro?

Probably not rare: my Classic also cracked in the headband. But not my Pro. Is it the "replacement method" an easy process? Maybe I'll do that as well. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #1,644 of 1,765
  Probably not rare: my Classic also cracked in the headband. But not my Pro. Is it the "replacement method" an easy process? Maybe I'll do that as well. 

It was an easy enough process in the end after a few communication problems. My replacements were dealt with by Focal UK even though I purchased them in France. Just sent them off and got replacement a few days later. Good service. I don't know what your distributor/dealer is in Brazil but you shouldn't have any problems  ?

You shouldn't really have to put up with problems like that on what by most peoples (ie non-Headfi) standards are very, very expensive headphones. As I said I think Focal realised they had a problem and redesigned them slightly. Good Luck

Nov 2, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #1,645 of 1,765
  It was an easy enough process in the end after a few communication problems. My replacements were dealt with by Focal UK even though I purchased them in France. Just sent them off and got replacement a few days later. Good service. I don't know what your distributor/dealer is in Brazil but you shouldn't have any problems  ?

You shouldn't really have to put up with problems like that on what by most peoples (ie non-Headfi) standards are very, very expensive headphones. As I said I think Focal realised they had a problem and redesigned them slightly. Good Luck

Thank you very much!

You are right about that.

Things often are a little more complicated and tricky here in Brazil, but I am going to give it a try.

Be well.

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #1,647 of 1,765
You guys have a try on ATH-R70x against FSP and MT220? R70x don't need burn in and man, my friend was impressed than FSP and MT220, how true is it?

R70x is an open headphone

Nov 9, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #1,649 of 1,765
Yeh the r70x is a great sounding headphone but is designed for a different purpose and hardly a suitable replacement for either the fsp or mt220 not to mention its in a different price bracket. Audio technicas m70x is much more comparable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back