Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Jul 7, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #646 of 1,765
While I'm personally apposed to using EQs for my personal music listening (i.e. public performances / professional setting with appropriate equipment is another thing), I'd suggest you subtract 3dB from each setting, it should overall sound better.

Reasoning behind that is that EQs (and especially home-use or simple digital EQs) are quite a mess with regard to how they do accentuation. Staying around the 0 line keeps things more in check and should yield a more even output better representing your intentions. You'll have to adjust the overall output level accordingly of course.

Correct, but not if the preamp is set to -6db. Which is what I did. I'm fully aware of the awful EQ effects if you don't lower your pre amp ahah
Edit: you may be interested to know that the FSC is one of the lowest distorting headphones I've tried. At 100db it's only ~1% THD compared to my Denons which are already ~5% at 90db.

Jul 7, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #647 of 1,765
Regarding EQ/preamp level: while reducing preamp input is definitely necessary when boosting volume by EQ thats not exactly what I was trying to say. EQs are generally cleaner when used near 0dB, therefore I suggested taking all bands down by 3dB, resulting in less distortion caused by uneven EQ curves but overall retaining your intended accents. A bit hard to explain, I can maybe draw a picture if needed. Or just try it out

Jul 7, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #648 of 1,765
Regarding EQ/preamp level: while reducing preamp input is definitely necessary when boosting volume by EQ thats not exactly what I was trying to say. EQs are generally cleaner when used near 0dB, therefore I suggested taking all bands down by 3dB, resulting in less distortion caused by uneven EQ curves but overall retaining your intended accents. A bit hard to explain, I can maybe draw a picture if needed. Or just try it out

I lower instead of boost on certain eqs. Meaning that the highest boost, being 5db is at 0db. And everything is -5db. I know what you're saying, It was just an example.

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #650 of 1,765

Woah, what case is that?

Also, I noticed this thread was only for the Pro. Should I make a thread for the Classic, or should we change the title thread to include the Classic (for new people to find).

It comes with the new Focal Spirit One S.

Hopefully they open it up and start selling it outside of the package.

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #651 of 1,765

It comes with the new Focal Spirit One S.

Hopefully they open it up and start selling it outside of the package.

Absolutely, I'd love that case if I end up keeping my Classics.

It's kinda funny that the much cheaper Spirit One S comes with that nice case and the more expensive Pro and Classic comes with a little drawstring bag.

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #652 of 1,765
Absolutely, I'd love that case if I end up keeping my Classics.

It's kinda funny that the much cheaper Spirit One S comes with that nice case and the more expensive Pro and Classic comes with a little drawstring bag.

The Spirit One S was designed for portable use while the Classic and Pro are for home and studio use respectively. Thus, the one that requires the most protection would be the Spirit One S.

Jul 9, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #656 of 1,765
  Speaking of the Spirit One S, has anyone seen a review on these yet?

Yes, but I dont speak french.

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/casque-audio/focal-spirit-one-s-p20623/test.html

but from google translate:

"Focal also reworked the sound performance to design this new Spirit One S. He first sought to bring more breadth and depth in the lower spectrum. But rest assured, it has not fallen into the trap of brands based overseas. Spirit of the bass is deep and powerful indeed, but absolutely not bloated and is very clean. It does not choke the sound quality, especially the mids and treble are clear, very precise, with some distinction and without aggression.

It seems readily apparent measures, but also and above all to listen, that the Spirit One S goes further than its predecessor.
The Spirit One sometimes had a little skimpy stamps, lacking breath. This defect has been totally erased the Spirit One S. The audio is much more free, fuller, airy and gives an excellent sense of space.

Power handling is also very good. Sonic coherence and tonal balance of Spirit One S is not disunite when you push the volume.
Listening, the Focal Spirit One S thus offers a beautiful cocktail breadth and precision, smoothness and speed, balance and heat. This is a real success in terms of sound performance.!
"

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #658 of 1,765

Users who are viewing this thread

Back