Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
May 12, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #557 of 1,765
A couple of guys posted very early on in this thread to report issues with hairline cracks (happened early in ownership) but since then I've not seen anything further.

Before placing an order for a pair last week I did post to see if others were had experienced any issues after some more use  but the only responses I got suggested theirs were holding up just fine despite a fair amount of use & abuse. I took that as indicative that although there are some QC / design issues (Classics have some too),  the problems aren't all that widespread and I'm suspect anyone affected would be fairly vocal - and quite rightly so considering the price!

Whether that'll be the case a year or two down the line who knows but I'll exercise the warranty if the worst happens.

I did see some suggestions that the people getting the cracks had above average sized heads and based on the set I received today that could be a fair point. When pulling the cups apart to place them on your head there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of play before you hit some resistance. Not an issue in my case but on a larger head you'd probably be right on the limit which over time might prove problematic.
Otherwise build quality seems fine and early impressions are they sound great 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #558 of 1,765
Anyone around who can compare the NAD Viso HP50 with the FSP?

I just got the HP50 and they sound fabulous (no burn in yet^^) but the fit is really "odd". This rather flat design of the headband hurts after about 15-20 mins of wearing.
frown.gif
I read here that some people complain that the fit of the FSP is also not overwhelming but for me, I see the FSP headband looks to have the better design. So. long story short, how would the sound signature of the FSP compare to that of the HP50?

May 13, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #559 of 1,765
A fellow Austrian... always nice to see a neighbour.

Tyll at Innerfidelity does mention the HP50 in his review of the Focal Spirit Pro and Classic:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/two-strike-zone-focal-spirit-professional-and-spirit-classic

May 13, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #560 of 1,765
Oh, serwas plakat! Ois kloa im osten? :wink:

Many thanks for the link! I did know, that Tyll has reviewed these cans, but apparently I overlooked that he mentioned the HP50 in it...shame on me^^

Liebe Grüße von Innsbruck nach Wien!

May 13, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #561 of 1,765
So. long story short, how would the sound signature of the FSP compare to that of the HP50?

Very very close but IMO the NAD is closer to the Focal Classic that's warmer & more relaxed (by a small margin) compared to FSP.

I have the three headphones on my my desk right now for testing purpose :wink:

May 13, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #562 of 1,765
  Oh, serwas plakat! Ois kloa im osten? :wink:

Many thanks for the link! I did know, that Tyll has reviewed these cans, but apparently I overlooked that he mentioned the HP50 in it...shame on me^^

Liebe Grüße von Innsbruck nach Wien!

Danke & gleichfalls Liebe Grüße zurück in den fernen Westen!

Very very close but IMO the NAD is closer to the Focal Classic that's warmer & more relaxed (by a small margin) compared to FSP.

I have the three headphones on my my desk right now for testing purpose :wink:

Very nice... looking forward to your impressions. Maybe you can include your Sig Pro in that comparison?

May 13, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #563 of 1,765

Danke & gleichfalls Liebe Grüße zurück in den fernen Westen!

Very nice... looking forward to your impressions. Maybe you can include your Sig Pro in that comparison?

I posted this about Sig pro vs Focal vs NAD in another thread :

This headphone (Sig pro) remains my favorite closed headphone and my favorite complement for my HD800. That been said, the focal headphones and the Nad represents IMO a tremendous value and they're maybe "better/cleaner" headphones. If you already own a sig pro, I don't think that purchasing a Focal Spirit pro is really useful. the FSP has a more balanced sound with definetely more mids but overally the SIg pro stays a more impressive headphone that brings something really special to the table. The choice can depend of what you usually listen to. Focal Spirit pro & Classic and the NAD Viso HP50 are really impressive and my preferred is the FSP by a slight but real margin because of its perfect balance and its overally crisp and clear sound while the NAD & the Spirit Classic offer a more relaxed (Focal Classic) or slightgly colored ( NAD) warmer sound.  THe Sig pro is less neutral than the FSP but sound so real to my ears with more detail, more depth, more textured sound , thicker bass, crispier treble. it's sooo engaging to my ears. Focals sound a bit too polite and the NAD is slightly too mellow compared to the Ultrasone.

May 19, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #565 of 1,765
My Focals will arrive tomorrow. I have owned the Sig Pros before and thought they were nowhere near worth the asking price. I found them to be a better ATH-M50 in terms of detail and resolution. Frequency balance was very nice however.

May 19, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #566 of 1,765
My Focals will arrive tomorrow. I have owned the Sig Pros before and thought they were nowhere near worth the asking price. I found them to be a better ATH-M50 in terms of detail and resolution. Frequency balance was very nice however.

First of All, I really dislike the ATH M50 and I really love the Sig pro , so I wholeheartly disagree with your above statement.
biggrin.gif
. That been said , I think the Signature pro is the most rig dependant Headphone I ever tried. Associated with a Hifiman HM602 or my Current E07k , my Sig pro sound definitely crappy to my ears and the Focals or the NAD sound better. Plugged to my HD800 rig , the Sig pro scales impressively and becomes a better headphone than its contenders.  We can Nevertheless agree that the Focal and the NAD has a far better value for the money, but I could say the same thing for all Hi end cans I owned or experienced.

You can see my profile. I'm not so experienced but I know a few headphones and my Sig pro (despite obvious flaws) is still there. More precisely, I sold my first pair and I rebought another one 2 month later :wink: . I really missed the way this headphone render some of my music and it is for me the perfect compliment for my HD800.

May 19, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #567 of 1,765
the Sig pro scales impressively and becomes a better headphone than its contenders.  We can Nevertheless agree that the Focal and the NAD has a far better value for the money, but I could say the same thing for all Hi end cans I owned or experienced.

+1

I somewhat agree with the above in that ever since I got my DX90 it feels like the SIg Pro took a nice leap forward. It's taking advantage of the better capabilities of the DAP. The Spirit Pro still sounds awesome on the DX90 or X5, but the Sig Pro is just one or two layers more transparent, while staying neutralish. I would say well within reference neutral but not quite like the FSP of course.

It's really a nice headphone to own next to the FSP, for those days when you just want something very transparent, a good substitute for your full sized open-backed home rig.

May 21, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #568 of 1,765
I recently bought the FSP. Before reading this thread I had never heard of them but I am extremely happy with the sound so thanks for all the advice. I also find them comfortable for extended use so i must have the right size nogging...

Before parting with my cash I went to a reputable store and spent a few hours trying a number of headsets over two different days: hd 650, hd8, hd6, hd25 II, hd 280, hd380, beyer t90, beyer t70p, yamaha 220, srh1540, srh 1840, b&o h6, a few sony, etc... My ears are mostly used to monitoring speakers (even if i dont mind cranking up warmer speakers from time to time) so i was seeking a "flat" response and a well defined sound. Bassy or dull/thin headsets give me pimples. I was hopeful that the FSP would suit me based on reviews I had read, and indeed Focal delivered the goods and at a lower price point than the closest competitors, plus in a closed pair. Hooray!

The tunes i was playing when down selecting among my favorites were covering a variety of styles (blues, jazz, acid jazz, folk, pop, psytrance, d&b, techno, etc.). All were well engineered, and with a res of 320 if compressed.

I realise that there is no hard data and telling graphs in this post so I will acknowledge that it would be of limited value as a review. But it isn't, and i didn't call out any specific comparison either between cans. The only take away should be: i tried a few pairs of reputable HPs and I enjoyed the FSPs the most. Enough to purchase them. Hopefully it helps someone else.

May 21, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #569 of 1,765
I recently bought the FSP. Before reading this thread I had never heard of them but I am extremely happy with the sound so thanks for all the advice. I also find them comfortable for extended use so i must have the right size nogging...

Before parting with my cash I went to a reputable store and spent a few hours trying a number of headsets over two different days: hd 650, hd8, hd6, hd25 II, hd 280, hd380, beyer t90, beyer t70p, yamaha 220, srh1540, srh 1840, b&o h6, a few sony, etc... My ears are mostly used to monitoring speakers (even if i dont mind cranking up warmer speakers from time to time) so i was seeking a "flat" response and a well defined sound. Bassy or dull/thin headsets give me pimples. I was hopeful that the FSP would suit me based on reviews I had read, and indeed Focal delivered the goods and at a lower price point than the closest competitors, plus in a closed pair. Hooray!

The tunes i was playing when down selecting among my favorites were covering a variety of styles (blues, jazz, acid jazz, folk, pop, psytrance, d&b, techno, etc.). All were well engineered, and with a res of 320 if compressed.

I realise that there is no hard data and telling graphs in this post so I will acknowledge that it would be of limited value as a review. But it isn't, and i didn't call out any specific comparison either between cans. The only take away should be: i tried a few pairs of reputable HPs and I enjoyed the FSPs the most. Enough to purchase them. Hopefully it helps someone else.

Great impressions. Glad you've joined Team FSP.
beerchug.gif

May 22, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #570 of 1,765
Got mine a few days ago. Sound is fantastic, clear, open and transparent these easily can be mistaken with open cans. The build quality doesnt look too promising but i hope they will keep up. Comfort is great for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back