Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Apr 21, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #526 of 1,765

The momentums were closer to supra-aural for me. I know they're basically the same size, but the FSP's extra width helps me squeeze my ears inside. I think if the momentums fit you then the FSP should be the next headphone you get. Focal has given a blessing to those with small ears and a curse to those with bigger ears. Haha.

:D as long as their deep enough, vmoda with stock pads i touch the drivers

Apr 21, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #529 of 1,765
i have to wait till the 30th of this month, just to check the bank, ifyaknowatimsayinn..

Of course man. No hurries. The FSP will be available whenever you're ready.
beerchug.gif

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #530 of 1,765
how does headphone transparency even work?

If someone edits the song in the studio wearing vmoda m100's, and im listening to it with the m100s does that mean my m100's are transparent? xD

And if he edits it with the vmoda m100's and i listen to it with the FSP, that means my FSP isnt transparent.

I mean, im sure a lot of studios nowadays will compensate (?) bass, because they know everyone is wearing hp's with boosted bass, thus making something like the FSP bass light?

Soundception

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #531 of 1,765
  how does headphone transparency even work?

If someone edits the song in the studio wearing vmoda m100's, and im listening to it with the m100s does that mean my m100's are transparent? xD

And if he edits it with the vmoda m100's and i listen to it with the FSP, that means my FSP isnt transparent.

I mean, im sure a lot of studios nowadays will compensate (?) bass, because they know everyone is wearing hp's with boosted bass, thus making something like the FSP bass light?

Soundception

A professional engineer in the studio business would not generally use a headphone for mixing or mastering a cd.  Checking to see how it might sound, yes, just like using cheap crappy yamaha monitors to see how it sounds.  But mixing or mastering with headphones and not speakers, not a chance.

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #532 of 1,765
  A professional engineer in the studio business would not generally use a headphone for mixing or mastering a cd.  Checking to see how it might sound, yes, just like using cheap crappy yamaha monitors to see how it sounds.  But mixing or mastering with headphones and not speakers, not a chance.

yea that is true. but still, he might compensate for people having bassy headphones, or other equipment, so what does a transparent headphone mean in that regard

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #533 of 1,765
I think it might be more complex than just changing the bass profile as shown in this article on mixing with headphones.

Click to read article

I also think transparent is a word that we like to use when we try to describe how well a headphone gets out of the way and does not add a particular sound signature to the music.  It's an ideal but in reality all playback systems impart some of their signature to the music.

As for your original premise of mixing with a v-moda and then listening back to a track with the FSP, and assuming you are striving for a natural mix, then the music might sound mid bass light with the FSP and even more forward in the mids, and a bit rolled in the high end or exactly the inverse of what the v-moda signature has been described by most users.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #534 of 1,765
Hi,

I have just received the FSP from amazon.es (for only 165€, aprox. $230). I have been listening it only for thirty minutes, but I can say this is an excellent headphone. Its tonal balance is great and works well, very well, with all genres. The FSP are a bit warm, only the enough amount of warmth to make it a bit more musical and not overly neutral. I'll talk about its sound signature when I had more listening hours. 

I have no problem with the earcups size. They are a bit bigger and more confortable than the ones of the Momentum. If you have no comfort problems with the Momentum then you will not have problems with the FSP. The clamp force may be a problem to me because I wear glasses but if I had no glasses I don't think that could be a problem.

I have the FSC too (205€, $285) but it isn't  yet unboxed. 

May 4, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #535 of 1,765
Do these come out as harsh/fatiguing for long periods of wear? If I were to get this or the Focal Spirit Classic which would you get? 

May 4, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #536 of 1,765
Do these come out as harsh/fatiguing for long periods of wear? If I were to get this or the Focal Spirit Classic which would you get? 

IMO no. Some people have mentioned before that they weren't the smoothest but I find them spot on in everything. The fit is a toss up but going for the classic won't solve that.

Not fatiguing!

#1 on my repurchase list.

May 5, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #537 of 1,765
M-13,

are you using your FSPs with Fiio X5 on high or low gain? I have read somewhere that the hi gain is not good in X5, but I found that it sounds better to my taste.

May 5, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #538 of 1,765
Hey remilio

I'm using it on High Gain.

Ever since upgrading to firmware 2.0, the X5 has been amazing with the FSP. Probably the best possible $700 set up on the planet for portable audio.

For some reason I always prefer high gain, even for IEMs. Low gain or medium gain usually sounds a bit dull to me. I also use high gain for my DX90.

I still can't decide which one I prefer as the X5 has made a nice jump with the firmware upgrade.

May 5, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #539 of 1,765
Thanks for the answers!

I used low gain with 1.20 and 2.0 firmwares and didn't see significant difference between them, TBH, but a couple of days ago I tried high gain and OMG - so much better now!

May 5, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #540 of 1,765
It's taken me a while but I'm finally about to order some Pros to keep my Classics company.

Out of curiosity can I ask those of you who've had the Pros for a while now how they're holding up? I know a couple of people reported cracks appear after a short period of time but they may have been isolated incidents, so now a few more people own them it'd be interesting to see how widespread such problems are (or aren't).

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back