Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Apr 19, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #496 of 1,765
uelover

I know it's kinda stupid question, but can you compare FSPs to your CMS40?

Very different things to compare. All I can say is that their sound signature is similar. If you like one you will like the other. The CMS40 is better in every aspect except bass quantity (due to physical limitation).

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #497 of 1,765
Very different things to compare. All I can say is that their sound signature is similar. If you like one you will like the other. The CMS40 is better in every aspect except bass quantity (due to physical limitation).

Wow, CMS40 are more detailed than FSPs? 
blink.gif

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #499 of 1,765

To my ears, yes.

Am driving the CMS40 with my Benchmark XLR output and the FSP using the Benchmark headphone out.

Interesting, I've always thought that I'd have to spend much more to get this level of detail through speakers. Makes me want to try a pair of focal's monitors. Damn, it seems there's no cure from audiophilia!

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #500 of 1,765
  Ok, thanks! I can confirm that FSP can compete up to 1000$ headphones too, personally I found them more interesting than HE-500 I once had and only a lil bit worse than Paradox, which is my favourite headphone even after selling it. Depends of what you're seeking for :wink: There are many technically better and mych pricier headphones that offer AWFUL tonal balance.

uelover

I know it's kinda stupid question, but can you compare FSPs to your CMS40?

I find the bold plain ludicris no matter how much I love the FSP and wish I had it back. 

Anyways tyll places the Shure 1540 above these on the wall of fame!?! that is almost as shocking as the comment above. I need to finish reading to see why. I am almost tempted to buy a pair but I know it wont isolate well enough so i'll skip it. I can say that buying the alacantra pads and putting them on a t50 modd made me believe that a more comfortable headphone pad simply doesnt exist period. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #501 of 1,765
  I find the bold plain ludicris no matter how much I love the FSP and wish I had it back. 

Anyways tyll places the Shure 1540 above these on the wall of fame!?! that is almost as shocking as the comment above. I need to finish reading to see why. I am almost tempted to buy a pair but I know it wont isolate well enough so i'll skip it. I can say that buying the alacantra pads and putting them on a t50 modd made me believe that a more comfortable headphone pad simply doesnt exist period. 

His decision was reversed in the end.

From innerfidelity
"
I struggled with whether or not to put these on the "Wall of Fame." In the end their supreme comfort and stunningly spacious and clean response had me feeling they were the better choice relative to the slightly cramped fit and slightly inarticulate treble of the Focal Spirit Professional. I hasten to add however that the slightly smoother, punchier, and on target EQ response of the Focal might actually make it the better headphone for some pros. Both the above headphones and the NAD VISO HP50 are worthy of your personal audition in this category of headphone.
Editor's Note: After further consideration I've decided to keep the Focal headphones on the Wall of Fame. The inability of the Shure to play well at loud levels makes the Focal can a continuing legitimate choice for audio pros and enthusiasts alike...even though their fit is a bit cramped. The Shure will still go up as a superior choice for it's comfort and extraordinary sound quality at low volumes."

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #502 of 1,765
yeah he struggled but felt they were the better choice. 
then said superior

I want to hear them too... I was just surprised because of the reviews but shouldnt be because they are so split. I think he did a good job I was just surprised. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #503 of 1,765
then said superior

I want to hear them too... I was just surprised because of the reviews but shouldnt be because they are so split. I think he did a good job I was just surprised. 

So far, fit/comfort is the reason why the FSP is a hit/miss product. Fortunately for me, a headband cushion works. For some, the earcups are too small and that is more difficult to resolve.

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #504 of 1,765
then said superior

Hey Grizzlybeast, this is a very nice portrait picture in your avatar. Look very "Professional" , pun intended, get yourself a pair
biggrin.gif
Again.

Apr 20, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #505 of 1,765

Hey Grizzlybeast, this is a very nice portrait picture in your avatar. Look very "Professional" , pun intended, get yourself a pair
biggrin.gif
Again.

ha word up!thx

I will soon enough. 

This and the Pandora hope VI over ear are on my shortlist of repurchases. Actually the only two headphones I would buy again.

Apr 20, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #506 of 1,765
Looking for a closed set to replace my cracked srh940. How does this change with burn in? How does it change when amped?

Asking since I was able to demo a unit but the sales guy said it has less than 1 hour on it and I was just using my Galaxy s4 as a source.

I have the e17 and magni for now. Sometimes I just want to zone out and my he500s just suck in all the outside noise.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #507 of 1,765
I think it certainly improves with a little amping and burn-in. But that's me.

It also sounded pretty nice right out of the box, so you should be able to tell if it's for you or not. It only gets sweeter the longer you own it though.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #508 of 1,765
Looking for a closed set to replace my cracked srh940. How does this change with burn in? How does it change when amped?

Asking since I was able to demo a unit but the sales guy said it has less than 1 hour on it and I was just using my Galaxy s4 as a source.

I have the e17 and magni for now. Sometimes I just want to zone out and my he500s just suck in all the outside noise.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Like M-13 said they sounded good out the box and didn't even put them on burn-in cycle like I usually do. They sound good out of my Dx-50 and. Was happy that they sounded good out of my Samsung S3 (and I really don't like the sound of the S3) but I notice that they do like power and they'd do improve when I put the DX-50 on higher gain or out of my Pico-power or DACmini.

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #509 of 1,765
Hello, I have a noob question about the Focal Spirit Proffessional... Will the Scarlett 2i2 audio interface (http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2/specifications) be able to drive these headphones?

I will be using the headphones for mixing trance music and just wanted to check if I also have to buy an headphone amp or if it's OK to use the Scarlett 2i2.

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #510 of 1,765
  Hello, I have a noob question about the Focal Spirit Proffessional... Will the Scarlett 2i2 audio interface (http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2/specifications) be able to drive these headphones?

I will be using the headphones for mixing trance music and just wanted to check if I also have to buy an headphone amp or if it's OK to use the Scarlett 2i2.

these are low ohm so anything (almost) will be able to drive them allright

Users who are viewing this thread

Back