Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Apr 10, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #391 of 1,765
I think they're a little warm with a bright spot.  They could use a little more 2khz to balance them out and make them less warm sounding, and then a little more lower treble in the 6khz area and a little less upper treble in the 10khz area.

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #392 of 1,765
  Wow, M-13 sure hasn't hyped these for nothing! 

ROFL.

Yeah I hyped them up because I thought they were deserving. Pretty awesome sound IMHO, I have no regrets and can't think of anything else I would recommend under $500 other than the HD600, and that's open and harder to drive and not even necessarily better than the FSP.

Chameleon like / neutral is still how I perceive them subjectively.

They do get better with about a 100 hours of burn-in, well at least it did for me. They might sound "veiled" at some point but you just have to push through that as they're very clear/transparent sounding once you hit a certain number of hours. This subjective opinion was confirmed when I had two FSP at my home because my friend brought over his brand new pair. He was concerned because we both felt like his was a little veiled with about 10 hours on it. But I told him to just burn them past 100 and he did like 200. ROFL. He brought over again and this time they were pretty much identical sounding, although I still thought mine sounded a tad better. That might just be ownership bias though.
tongue.gif

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #393 of 1,765
I don't perceive them as veiled at all. Though I don't think the HD600's are either. Ordered these but there is a shop next to where I work that carries the Classics. Will go and do a comparison out of curiosity. 

Even though neutrality's the word of the hour, the main focus I feel is on the exploding attack and detail. Effortlessly surgical. Being neutral of course helps, but the HD600 doesn't really exhibit detail like this. 

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #394 of 1,765
That's good then. I don't really perceive the FSP or the HD600 as veiled. What I heard was sort of a temporary thing that went away. This of course is 100% subjective. They're both quite neutral and resolving.

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #396 of 1,765
I was listening to the FSP last night via the Lyr, and I came close to thinking they were perfect......it was like I could not think of anything I'd want to change or improve.

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #397 of 1,765
  I was listening to the FSP last night via the Lyr, and I came close to thinking they were perfect......it was like I could not think of anything I'd want to change or improve.

Yup, that's how they are. Perfect. I really can't think of anything I would want to change about them either.

I know this word gets tossed around a lot on Head-Fi, but the FSP is truely "reference".

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #398 of 1,765
  "Veiled" is the last word i'd use describing FSP's sound. Even HE-500 by memory were more veiled in comparison. Focals are nice and clear.

Yeah, that word isn't really right. I'm sorry about that. I guess it's hard to describe what I'm trying to say, but anyway, it sounds "not burned in" if that makes any kind of sense. the diaphram feels a little stiff the first few hours when it's brand new. After about a 100 hours it sounds more effortless, amenable. Of course this is very subtle and nothing fundamental about them changes. The sonic fundamentals are just freaking amazing and continues to impress.

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #401 of 1,765
Anyone had the chance to compare fsp with the kef m500? I have the kefs and find them absolutely extraordinary. I notice that Tylls measurements for the two cans look very close except for some serious channel imbalance for the kefs. Build and comfort are great with the kefs. Might by a good alternative to the fsp for those who like their sound sig but not the build or comfort.

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #402 of 1,765
Anyone had the chance to compare fsp with the kef m500? I have the kefs and find them absolutely extraordinary. I notice that Tylls measurements for the two cans look very close except for some serious channel imbalance for the kefs. Build and comfort are great with the kefs. Might by a good alternative to the fsp for those who like their sound sig but not the build or comfort.

If the FSP is a business class (in terms of sound), then the m500 is like the economy class. The FSP just blows the m500 out of the water. The FSP is just a few leagues above.

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #403 of 1,765
I don't think these headphone are neutral when looking at the measurements as it seems similar to the Shure SE846 which is a very balanced (but not neutral) sounding earphone. The mids are also far from flat. 

How do they sound in comparison to the AKG K812 since all the positive reviews have caught my interest in these headphones? I haven't seen them in any stores yet. Hopefully I don't have comfort issues. 

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #404 of 1,765
  I don't think these headphone are neutral when looking at the measurements as it seems similar to the Shure SE846 which is a very balanced (but not neutral) sounding earphone. The mids are also far from flat.

Have you listened to them?

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #405 of 1,765

Have you listened to them?

I haven't seen them in the stores yet, so I couldn't have listened to them yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back