Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Apr 14, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #421 of 1,765
I compared them intensively against the 7520 for like 10 days, and then the 7520 was sold because the FSP won, and won in a big big way for me. The neutrality just came through and made the 7520 sound colored. The 7520 does have better bass pitch definition though, but the soundscape is so narrow compared to the wide open feeling of the FSP.

Apr 14, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #422 of 1,765
I did a bit of searching and it seems that this a plastic headphone? If so, then I think I'll skip this one and wait till Focal will come with a new headphone that has better build quality. ( i got bad experiences with plastic headphones that break )

edit: But they are very cheap though, I might just order them anyway. If it breaks, it's not alot of money.

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #427 of 1,765
Note: for the people that would like better comfort I've tried the Beyerdynamic snap on headband and it fit on the Pro.

Thanks a lot for the heads up!

I could use the snap on headband on couple of my other portables.  No problems with the SP though
normal_smile .gif

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #428 of 1,765
laid back mids means that voices and mid centric instruments are set back just a bit inn the soundstage or further away if you will as compared to other tones.  The Pros are more forward in the area and are my preference overall.  The mids of the 
Pros are more articulate and voices are closer and easier to understand.  Hope that helps.

As for bass the Classics have more mid bass which adds a bit of warmth to the bass notes or elevated in that region.  They will sound more bassy because of it.  The Pros on the other hand have a more accurate bass with a touch less elevation in the mid bass area.

Oh, and go watch the video review of both on inner fidelity for a similar perspective.

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #429 of 1,765
  laid back mids means that voices and mid centric instruments are set back just a bit inn the soundstage or further away if you will as compared to other tones.  The Pros are more forward in the area and are my preference overall.  The mids of the 
Pros are more articulate and voices are closer and easier to understand.  Hope that helps.

As for bass the Classics have more mid bass which adds a bit of warmth to the bass notes or elevated in that region.  They will sound more bassy because of it.  The Pros on the other hand have a more accurate bass with a touch less elevation in the mid bass area.

Oh, and go watch the video review of both on inner fidelity for a similar perspective.

thank you, ive decided on the FSP as i already have vmoda m100's as bassy headphones, now all i need is a 2-3 meter cable that i can use for both of them, as coil cables are nono for desktop use :D

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #430 of 1,765
  inner fidelity.........my take is..............Pro is more accurate, better bass, better mids................classic warmish bass and a bit laid back in mids comparatively

Those are my impressions too after I listened to both at RMAF. I personally like the Professional better so those are the ones I bought and love them.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 17, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #432 of 1,765
Got both the X5 and DX90 today. Didn't expect both to come in at the same time. Initial impression with the FSP is that they're both crazy awesome. I'm leaning toward the DX90 as it's more neutral and really helps the FSP shine in this way. The X5 is pretty darn nice too, and fairly neutral, so not conclusive yet.

It is only the first day. I will update with the final winner for the best FSP pairing. For now both are a win win scenerio.

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #433 of 1,765
  Got both the X5 and DX90 today. Didn't expect both to come in at the same time. Initial impression with the FSP is that they're both crazy awesome. I'm leaning toward the DX90 as it's more neutral and really helps the FSP shine in this way. The X5 is pretty darn nice too, and fairly neutral, so not conclusive yet.

It is only the first day. I will update with the final winner for the best FSP pairing. For now both are a win win scenerio.

I'm jelous, still waiting for my X5 :frowning2: Nice to hear that you like it with FSP, I think it'd be cool to add just a bit of midrange lushness to focals...

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #435 of 1,765
  I'm jelous, still waiting for my X5 :frowning2: Nice to hear that you like it with FSP, I think it'd be cool to add just a bit of midrange lushness to focals...

I will try to compare and see which one is more lush.

Although personally I no longer like lush midrange as I got my fill with the LCD-2/HE-500 for 2 years+. Haha. it was great, but I'm sort of sick of it now. Give me dry accurate midrange now please (this does not mean I want thin recessed midrange though, just linear accurate, just the right amount I guess.)

But yeah, I will check to see which one is more lush, but I don't think either one is too lush or anything. Both are fairly neutral/dry with just a touch of musicality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back