Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Apr 17, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #436 of 1,765
I bought the Focal Spirit Pro's yesterday.

Same price all over, many top dealers - and pretty much all of them were out of stock!

Thought that was interesting, didn't think it would be an issue with a less than well known
brand (to the general public, anyway) selling at list price.

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #438 of 1,765

I will try to compare and see which one is more lush.

Although personally I no longer like lush midrange as I got my fill with the LCD-2/HE-500 for 2 years+. Haha. it was great, but I'm sort of sick of it now.

Yeah, that's why I said "just a bit" :) I don't like too lush midrange of HE-500 too, balance is the key. In terms of balance, it's almost impossible to do better than Paradox, IMHO - I could listen to them 24/7, already miss them :frowning2: , but FSP is very close...

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #439 of 1,765
  Yeah, that's why I said "just a bit" :) I don't like too lush midrange of HE-500 too, balance is the key. In terms of balance, it's almost impossible to do better than Paradox, IMHO - I could listen to them 24/7, already miss them :frowning2: , but FSP is very close...

Yup, got it. :)

So I did a small test looking for midrange lushness and I'm fairly certain the X5 is more lush than the DX90 at this point (about 12 hours in for both of them burning in furiously).

The X5 is fairly balanced so nothing excessive. The DX90's midrange however is more detailed and transparent (slightly more) at this point.

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #441 of 1,765
  ^you prob bought a th600 or something after the he500/lcd2

I think the old Denon line turned me off to the Fostex sound a bit. I experienced the D2000 and that sub-bass was monsterous and fun for a few months and then I started realizing how thin the midrange sounded and how trebly the headphone was. I know the TH-600 is a much better and refined version but I'm still not in a hurry to try it out.

This was when I was a Head-Fi baby and had 3 cans, the HD650, Q701, and D2000 + Lyr/Bifrost. I thought I was "set" until I started seeing the flaws after a few months. This was before my HE-500/LCD-2 phase which lasted much longer.

Anyway I've been through a lot of cans and I'm happy where I ended up. I learned a lot.

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #443 of 1,765
  It seems like the he560 you may like(un-jerged) with the lower mids a little less thick and the treble described as stronger than the FSP. 

Has there been a 560 vs FSP comparison? I think I missed that.

In my mind what Jerg was describing sounded like the FSP. Neutral and linear. Kind of like a brighter HE-500 without the flabby bass and overly lush midrange.

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #444 of 1,765
The day before last, UPS finally delivered my Focal Spirit Professional, and, yes, I'm so happy, I could dance an Irish Jig. People, these headphones are amazing—amazingly neutral that is.

I heard all the talk, read all the testimonials, watched all the video reviews (there weren't many actually), and now I can testify to the jury, under the penalty of death: these are the most neutral cans I've heard in many moons. Are they perfectly neutral? Probably not. But then again, I have no idea what “perfectly neutral” sounds like. Compared to the Focal Classic, yes, they are notably more balanced and linear. The Classic’s sound-signature is warmer and more bass-centric. A quick comparison between these headphones indeed stresses the “laid-back” nature of the Classic. The FSP sounds immensely more open and airy--so open and airy, in fact, that from time to time, I can’t help but ask myself, “Are these really closed-back headphones?” And yet, despite all their differences, the Classic and the Professional share a strong family resemblance, sonically and aesthetically speaking.

But let me focus on what I like most about the FSP: its midrange clarity.

The Professional’s midrange soars; it’s as clear as a blue sky in early spring; it's vibrancy and liveliness personified. Ever put on a pair of amber-lensed sunglasses? Well, these headphones are their sonic equivalent, imbuing my music with a sort of hyper-clarity, tinged with an amber warmth.  I guess what I’m trying to say, folks, is this: the FSP genuinely favors no frequency range (um, save, maybe the upper midrange).

And this means that the Professional’s bass never attempts to steal the show, never attempts to impress you, and thus allows the midrange to shine at all times. Don’t get me wrong: if a recording demands thump and slam, the bass always steps forward and delivers with aplomb.  Sometimes, I get the sense that the bass is lurking in the background of my music, biding its time, waiting to pounce, and when it finally springs forth, it always does so with surprising impact.  If I had to describe the FSP's bass in two words, I would choose, “taut” and “impactful.”

The FSP's treble, conversely, is well-behaved and never draws undue attention to itself. And yet, I'm still tempted to call these headphones "energetic," mostly because Focal didn't short-change, or otherwise shelve the upper registers.  But here's the key point: the treble is so finely tuned that words like "bright" simply don't apply.     Moreover, The Pro, like the Classic, exhibits no nasty treble peaks, no strident or off-key tonalities. That said, I can understand why some folks might find these headphones a little fatiguing for longer listening sessions. They are fairly forward in the presence region, and sometimes, I find this a bit fatiguing myself.

Mr. Potato head, be warned:  the FSP, like the Classic, is fairly uncomfortable. Errr. Actually, "uncomfortable" is probably a little euphemistic, but I'm reluctant to call these headphones painful, but some people will rightfully call them that, or worse. So check your hat and ear-size before buying.  But let's not dwell on this: I have a bigger bone to pick.

For some reason, Focal decided to enclose the FSP's glorious drivers in cheap plastic. Actually, everything about the FSP's build feels flimsy. (I really hate saying this.) Come on, Focal!  Aren't these headphones supposed to be workhorses? You know, headphones for rough and careless studio folks. Headphones, for burly, thick-fingered sound-engineers. Seriously. Why compromise the build quality with such cheap plastic? I’m perplexed. Genuinely perplexed.

Sigh. All that aside, I don't mind saying, "I love these headphone." They sound amazing.  I heartily recommend them, despite possible problems with comfort and durability. Cheers. 

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #445 of 1,765
Has there been a 560 vs FSP comparison? I think I missed that.

In my mind what Jerg was describing sounded like the FSP. Neutral and linear. Kind of like a brighter HE-500 without the flabby bass and overly lush midrange.

Excuse me for comparing impressions in my head though I would bet money on it.

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #446 of 1,765
Excuse me for comparing impressions in my head though I would bet money on it.

Oh, okay. I do that too. Don't worry bro.
beerchug.gif
(It's like visualization except with the ears)

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #447 of 1,765
  The day before last, UPS finally delivered my Focal Spirit Professional, and, yes, I'm so happy, I could dance an Irish Jig. People, these headphones are amazing—amazingly neutral that is.

I heard all the talk, read all the testimonials, watched all the video reviews (there weren't many actually), and now I can testify to the jury, under the penalty of death: these are the most neutral cans I've heard in many moons. Are they perfectly neutral? Probably not. But then again, I have no idea what “perfectly neutral” sounds like. Compared to the Focal Classic, yes, they are notably more balanced and linear. The Classic’s sound-signature is warmer and more bass-centric. A quick comparison between these headphones indeed stresses the “laid-back” nature of the Classic. The FSP sounds immensely more open and airy--so open and airy, in fact, that from time to time, I can’t help but ask myself, “Are these really closed-back headphones?” And yet, despite all their differences, the Classic and the Professional share a strong family resemblance, sonically and aesthetically speaking.

But let me focus on what I like most about the FSP: its midrange clarity.

The Professional’s midrange soars; it’s as clear as a blue sky in early spring; it's vibrancy and liveliness personified. Ever put on a pair of amber-lensed sunglasses? Well, these headphones are their sonic equivalent, imbuing my music with a sort of hyper-clarity, tinged with an amber warmth.  I guess what I’m trying to say, folks, is this: the FSP genuinely favors no frequency range (um, save, maybe the upper midrange).

And this means that the Professional’s bass never attempts to steal the show, never attempts to impress you, and thus allows the midrange to shine at all times. Don’t get me wrong: if a recording demands thump and slam, the bass always steps forward and delivers with aplomb.  Sometimes, I get the sense that the bass is lurking in the background of my music, biding its time, waiting to pounce, and when it finally springs forth, it always does so with surprising impact.  If I had to describe the FSP's bass in two words, I would choose, “taut” and “impactful.”

The FSP's treble, conversely, is well-behaved and never draws undue attention to itself. And yet, I'm still tempted to call these headphones "energetic," mostly because Focal didn't short-change, or otherwise shelve the upper registers.  But here's the key point: the treble is so finely tuned that words like "bright" simply don't apply.     Moreover, The Pro, like the Classic, exhibits no nasty treble peaks, no strident or off-key tonalities. That said, I can understand why some folks might find these headphones a little fatiguing for longer listening sessions. They are fairly forward in the presence region, and sometimes, I find this a bit fatiguing myself.

Mr. Potato head, be warned:  the FSP, like the Classic, is fairly uncomfortable. Errr. Actually, "uncomfortable" is probably a little euphemistic, but I'm reluctant to call these headphones painful, but some people will rightfully call them that, or worse. So check your hat and ear-size before buying.  But let's not dwell on this: I have a bigger bone to pick.

For some reason, Focal decided to enclose the FSP's glorious drivers in cheap plastic. Actually, everything about the FSP's build feels flimsy. (I really hate saying this.) Come on, Focal!  Aren't these headphones supposed to be workhorses? You know, headphones for rough and careless studio folks. Headphones, for burly, thick-fingered sound-engineers. Seriously. Why compromise the build quality with such cheap plastic? I’m perplexed. Genuinely perplexed.

Sigh. All that aside, I don't mind saying, "I love these headphone." They sound amazing.  I heartily recommend them, despite possible problems with comfort and durability. Cheers. 

Cool beans man. Looks like you're in the right thread. FSP is pretty darn awesome.
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #450 of 1,765

which of the two do you prefer? and are the cupsizes the same? :)

The cup sizes are the same, so both headphones sort of clamp and squeeze me in all the wrong places. The Classic is definitely built with better materials (much better actually), but overall, I prefer the FSP's sound-signature; it's so exquisitely clear and clean without ever becoming analytical. It's amazing actually. So many so-called neutral headphones lack warmth, but the FSP retains just a touch of warmth, which, btw, never compromises its neutrality. So if you want a crystal-clear, scrupulously clean sound punctuated by punchy but well-behaved bass, then the FSP is the only way to go. If, on the other hand, you desire more gravitas, more bass presence, a warmer sound-signature with a slightly relaxed upper-midrange, then the Classic will please you more. It boils down to preference. I'm definitely keeping both headphones. What can I say? I love them both. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back