Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
May 9, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #1,276 of 1,765
The biggest compliment I can pay the FSPs is that they've finally made me stop listening like an insatiable, nit-picking audiophile and go back to listening how I listened before I knew about higher end equipment - just enjoying the music.

May 9, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #1,277 of 1,765
  The biggest compliment I can pay the FSPs is that they've finally made me stop listening like an insatiable, nit-picking audiophile and go back to listening how I listened before I knew about higher end equipment - just enjoying the music.

That was possibly the first thing I noticed about the FSP -- how "normal" and direct it sounded despite being so much better than many others.

May 9, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #1,278 of 1,765

The HD700 is an amazing headphone and had a lot of amazing characteristics but was ultimately unlistenable due to the treble peak. Some people don't have issues with it but with the rigs I've heard it with and the music I listen to, the FSP is better for the sheer reason that it's listenable to. 

Also much prefer the FSP compared to the HD700 due to the mentioned treble peak. The FSP is a lot more uncomfortable though, my ears cried enough after about 30 minutes, pity as it sounded great...

In certain aspects they eclipsed the Hifiman HE-500 as well, leading notes of transients for example were very impressive on the FSP and well as the overall balance of the sound, so I'm sure they will give the HE-400i a good run for the money.

May 10, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #1,281 of 1,765
  Am I the only one here whose ears are small enough for the FSP's ear cups to totally surround them?

You're not alone 
beerchug.gif

May 10, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #1,283 of 1,765
Yesterday I contacted the store where I bought the Spirit Pros, to see if I can switch the Spirit Pros for the Yamaha MT 220. Because people said that the Yamaha has a softer uppermids texture compared to the Spirit Pros.

Hope they'll respond soon!

May 10, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #1,284 of 1,765
  Yesterday I contacted the store where I bought the Spirit Pros, to see if I can switch the Spirit Pros for the Yamaha MT 220. Because people said that the Yamaha has a softer uppermids texture compared to the Spirit Pros.

Hope they'll respond soon!

I'm actually tempted to buy the 220 because it's only $150 in the US. Sold my HD 650 yesterday, so I have the cash, but I should probably use it to cover more important expenses.

May 10, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #1,288 of 1,765
  How did you sell your HD 650 so fast?

I actually made a post about that:

(And you know you have a good reputation on Head-Fi when yours sell within hours while others are listed for weeks or months without selling, even for the same price!)

I guess it was just a combination of reputation and luck. Plus mine was sold for a lower price than most of them.

May 10, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #1,289 of 1,765
I just AB/ed my -sometimes- bass distorted Creative Aurvana Live vs the Focal Spirit Pro.

The first thing I noticed when I heard the CALs after listening to the Spirit Pro for almost a month now, is how ''distant'' they sounded compared to the very upfront sound of the Spirit Pros.

The treble seemed unnaturally boosted on the CAL after listening to the Spirit Pros for a few weeks, but that quickly got away after 2 minutes of listening and they sounded VERY naturally clear and open again.

That annoying ''harsh uppermids texture'' I experience with the Spirit Pros, was also less on the CAL (but still a bit), and my CALs were EVEN smoother before I modded them (so that means the CAL has zero to none harshness in their stock form)

I would say the Creative Aurvana Live sounds clearer and more open than the Spirit Pros, but more distant in presentation, better in comfort.  

The Spirit Pro has a ''bigger'', more upfront sound, harsher uppermids (although less uppermids quantity than the CAL, the uppermids texture of the CAL is a lot smoother), more detail, better instrument separation, tighter bass, less clear and open sounding than the CAL, same natural sound as the CAL (again, less bright than the CAL and harsher in the uppermids. But if we ignore those harsh uppermids and more distant sound of the CALs, they sound just as natural).

If I had to keep one headphone, it would be the CAL, since I like my clarity and smooth, natural sound. If the Spirit Pros didn't have that harshness in the uppermids, than I would keep those rather than the CAL, since I can live with less clarity and/or openess (but with the better things the Spirit Pros has over the CAL, like more detail, more upfront sound, bigger sound, tighter bass, better instrument separation)

But that doesn't mean the Spirit Pro sounds dull. It sounds clear enough to me to not bother me, it's just that they sound a bit dull when compared to the CAL..

May 10, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #1,290 of 1,765

I developed a greater appreciation for the FSP today, going from the HD 650 back to the Sony MDR-7506, which now sounds tinny and harsh since I was getting used to the darkness and smoothness of the 650. I'm kind of in pain now. lol. Just goes to show you how well the brain adjusts. I'm sure after a few days of adjusting again, it won't be as grating on my poor ears. (Or I guess I could do some proper EQ, if I stop being so lazy.) The FSP is in-between those two extremes and is just a much better balance.

So did you find out about the Yamaha?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back