Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
May 5, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #1,246 of 1,765

I'm too lazy to write a comparison review. I guess if you ask detailed questions, I can try to give detailed answers.

Yeah, I heard the HD 650 scales like crazy. Still sounds pretty good from my Fulla -- better than the FSP in a few categories, but overall, the FSP easily beats it for me personally.

In what ways does the FSP sound better, and vice versa?

May 5, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #1,247 of 1,765
  Got the HD 650 today. It's in my top three favorites so far, but...FSP is still #1 for me!
biggrin.gif

And yet you sold them! 
confused_face(1).gif

May 5, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #1,248 of 1,765
I have to say after about two weeks with these I'm not looking to upgrade anymore (knock on wood).

Comfort has improved and is fine. Sound is of course wonderful - so natural an unaffected yet engaging and musical. And they haven't broken yet!

Edit: One thing that I didn't notice immediately but that is impressing me now is how accurate these are at placing instruments in the soundstage. You can pinpoint exactly where everything is coming from.

May 5, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #1,249 of 1,765
  In what ways does the FSP sound better, and vice versa?

I said ask detailed questions and that I am too lazy to describe it all in one go.

A few basic things, though:

FSP: More clear and neutral. Bass is much more tight and punchy. Physicality and impact are excellent, as I have said often.

650: Darker tonal balance, but brighter than I expected. Sounds larger and even taller, which is funny, since the ear cups are a lot taller.
biggrin.gif
Bass is more diffuse. Pretty refined sounding, I guess. Has good impact sometimes, but other times, not very good at all. Has many aspects that are obviously on a higher level, but nothing that makes me like it more than the FSP. That being said, I'm sure many people would prefer the 650 by a considerable margin for whatever reason. Comfort and build quality is way better.

That wasn't much info, so just ask for specific details.

And yet you sold them! 
confused_face(1).gif

I have mentioned a handful of times now that I get rid of headphones in order to try out other headphones. I can't afford to keep a collection of expensive headphones right now, despite my awesome custom title. I can't know which I will prefer until after I hear them. I'm sure I will like some of the ultra-high-end headphones more than the FSP. I have also mentioned that I will probably buy the FSP again eventually even if I end up liking others a lot more.

I have to say after about two weeks with these I'm not looking to upgrade anymore (knock on wood).

Comfort has improved and is fine. Sound is of course wonderful - so natural an unaffected yet engaging and musical. And they haven't broken yet!

Glad to hear it!

May 5, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #1,250 of 1,765
One thing that I didn't notice immediately but that is impressing me now is how accurate these are at placing instruments in the soundstage. You can pinpoint exactly where everything is coming from.

Have you compared to open headphones? Because those generally have much better imaging. One thing I liked about the FSP is that it had a great sense of detail and imaging without throwing anything in your face. Everything felt very balanced and direct, but with plenty of subtlety too.

May 5, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #1,251 of 1,765

I have mentioned a handful of times now that I get rid of headphones in order to try out other headphones. I can't afford to keep a collection of expensive headphones right now, despite my awesome custom title. I can't know which I will prefer until after I hear them. I'm sure I will like some of the ultra-high-end headphones more than the FSP. I have also mentioned that I will probably buy the FSP again eventually even if I end up liking others a lot more.

I'm just joking. You're may end up being like the guy who leaves his girl because he wants to play the field only to come back a few months later and beg for her to take him back. 
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #1,252 of 1,765

Have you compared to open headphones? Because those generally have much better imaging. One thing I liked about the FSP is that it had a great sense of detail and imaging without throwing anything in your face. Everything felt very balanced and direct, but with plenty of subtlety too.

The only other HPs at the FSP level I've tried are the Beoplay H6. They are wider in part because of enhanced treble, but in terms of accuracy of instrument location, I think the FSP have them beat. 

May 5, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #1,253 of 1,765
  The only other HPs at the FSP level I've tried are the Beoplay H6. They are wider in part because of enhanced treble, but in terms of accuracy of instrument location, I think the FSP have them beat. 

I'll take that as a no then. Open headphones aren't necessarily expensive. Many great ones are under $100. And they generally outclass closed headphones in terms of imaging.

May 6, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #1,256 of 1,765
Which uppermids are softer sounding in texture; those of the Yamaha MT 220 or Focal Spirit Professional? The reason I'm asking, is because I found the uppermids of the Focal Spirit Pro to be a bit harsh, so if the Yamahas are softer sounding in texture, I'll highly likely like those more...

May 7, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #1,258 of 1,765

..., but I personally think soundstage is overrated, especially comparing headphones to speakers.

Me, too. Those who are talking about "soundstage" regarding headphones might have never heard a really good speaker setup, where you have a kind of holographic sound image in front of you, being able to locate single or groups of instruments in a orchestra.:wink:
Or it simply sounds like Johnny Cash is sitting in front of you, strumming his guitar, giving you a private concert.

May 7, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #1,259 of 1,765
  Me, too. Those who are talking about "soundstage" regarding headphones might have never heard a really good speaker setup, where you have a kind of holographic sound image in front of you, being able to locate single or groups of instruments in a orchestra.:wink:
Or it simply sounds like Johnny Cash is sitting in front of you, strumming his guitar, giving you a private concert.

hd800 is the only response that comes to my mind at the moment. 

I had speakers, heared good speakers, hd800 is still magic with the soundstage.

May 7, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #1,260 of 1,765
  I had become interested in focal spirit professional. I cannot test before buying in my country, so i will follow this discussion to see if they would fit my needs.

Uh-oh, George is here! Took ya long enough.
biggrin.gif

I've recommended the FSP to you at least once. Definitely worth trying, but depending on the size of your ears, it may not be comfortable. (Fit me perfectly, though.) There's a ton of info in this thread and elsewhere, so I doubt anything will be posted that someone hasn't already mentioned in the past.

hd800 is the only response that comes to my mind at the moment. 

I had speakers, heared good speakers, hd800 is still magic with the soundstage.

Too bad I couldn't get that $400 HD 800! (Had to cover living expenses instead.)

The HD 650 is pretty cool. Probably my third favorite headphone so far, with the FSP still at #1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back