Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Apr 23, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #1,126 of 1,765
  I'm not sure this is going to end well unfortunately. I can see when the headphone is open to head size the crack between where the dappled plastic and smooth plastic on top connects (where the screws are) starts to expand. Is this normal? I haven't heard of breakage there.

It's just so mind boggling that Focal would make such an amazing sounding headphone with so little thought to build quality. 

I never noticed it until I let my friend try mine one (I have the Spirit One S). The middle part where they connected looked like it was going to snap right off... 

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #1,128 of 1,765

This is what I'm talking about. I've had them for a day only. Is this normal?

This is the problem I have as well... I think it is normal.

However, this is extremely discomforting to see.

Apr 23, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #1,129 of 1,765

I don't think it's normal per se. But if it doesn't interfere with using it, you might as well keep it until it gets worse. It would be a shame to send it in for repair or replacement at this early point to only have the same thing happen again.

Apr 23, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #1,130 of 1,765

I think it's normal too. My FSP sits the same way on my head; and I have owned mine just under a year. I have not worn my FSP weekly though since I rotate it in my collection so take my observations with a grain of salt.

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #1,132 of 1,765
If you extended the cups out further, such that the headband was a good half inch or so over your head, would the seams come back together? From the look of it, your head is "too big" for the headband. But I agree - "normal" does not mean "good", and that looks like the wrong fit for the FSP and for you!

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #1,133 of 1,765
  If you extended the cups out further, such that the headband was a good half inch or so over your head, would the seams come back together? From the look of it, your head is "too big" for the headband. But I agree - "normal" does not mean "good", and that looks like the wrong fit for the FSP and for you!

I tried that but it seems to make it worse. Because of the shape, extending the cups seems to tighten them and make the strain on those joints even greater. 

Oh well, its a one year warranty, right?

They sound so good I might just be willing to duck tape them to my head if needed.

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #1,135 of 1,765
But for $350 bucks, expected to live the harsh life "working" in a studio, that is sub par in my book, and the main reason I couldn't part with the cash! SQ is 90% of a purchase decision for me, but poor design / Build quality issues just should happen at that price point (I would know, My HE-400s aren't "perfect", but design / cabling issues have lessoned my love for them over time).

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #1,137 of 1,765
  But for $350 bucks, expected to live the harsh life "working" in a studio, that is sub par in my book, and the main reason I couldn't part with the cash! SQ is 90% of a purchase decision for me, but poor design / Build quality issues just should happen at that price point (I would know, My HE-400s aren't "perfect", but design / cabling issues have lessoned my love for them over time).

Even the most expensive headphones have quality control issues, unfortunately.

Hey guys does your Spirit Pro earcups rattle when you move them a bit? 

There was a little rattling with mine, but with the part where the Focal logo is, not the ear cups themselves.

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #1,140 of 1,765
Could rattle on the earcups cause the sound to change? Because I don't know if it's just placebo or real, but I noticed when the earcups begin to rattle more, the sound became a bit harsher.

But then again, I don't know if it was my brain or that the drivers actually got damaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back