Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Apr 15, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #1,096 of 1,765
  There's something I noticed about the Spirit Pros. On 1 couplet in a song (well produced track), they can sound REALLY clear, and then the other couplet (on the same exact file) can sound harsh and muffled, and then comes another couplet, and they sound clear again.

Did any of you guys experience this as well?

If it sounds different with the same type of content, then it's more the recording than it is the headphone.

I noticed something cool with my 7506: in part of a song, it sounded harsh, which I didn't hear before on other headphones...but I then realized it was because there was an electric guitar in the background that I never heard before! With some other headphones, it just sounded like smooth bass! (Don't remember if I even heard that song with the FSP.)

Apr 15, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #1,097 of 1,765

If it sounds different with the same type of content, then it's more the recording than it is the headphone.

I noticed something cool with my 7506: in part of a song, it sounded harsh, which I didn't hear before on other headphones...but I then realized it was because there was an electric guitar in the background that I never heard before! With some other headphones, it just sounded like smooth bass! (Don't remember if I even heard that song with the FSP.)

Man, if this headphone even sounds different in couplets of the same track, that makes them SUPER transparent.

Apr 15, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #1,099 of 1,765

Aren't you glad you didn't give up within the first few minutes? lol

I felt the level of transparency was decent, but I have yet to find a headphone that sounded convincingly realistic.

Yeah, kind off :p

I mean as of right now they sound good, but the CAL still sounds clearer, and more realistic as well (especially in drums), while being still smoother than the FSP.

The area's where the FSP beats the CAL, is in: Instrument separation, detail and bass tightness/quickness. And possibly imaging as well.

But other than that, the CAL sounds better imo. The CAL is also more comfortable, but I could live with both on comfort.

Apr 15, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #1,100 of 1,765
  Yeah, kind off :p

I mean as of right now they sound good, but the CAL still sounds clearer, and more realistic as well (especially in drums), while being still smoother than the FSP.

The area's where the FSP beats the CAL, is in: Instrument separation, detail and bass tightness/quickness. And possibly imaging as well.

But other than that, the CAL sounds better imo. The CAL is also more comfortable, but I could live with both on comfort.

Wonder how you'd feel about the Sony MDR-7506. (I mentioned its clarity is better than the FSP, IMO.)

Does the CAL have more drum impact than the mighty FSP? Use those death metal tracks to test it.

Apr 15, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #1,101 of 1,765

Wonder how you'd feel about the Sony MDR-7506. (I mentioned its clarity is better than the FSP, IMO.)

Does the CAL have more drum impact than the mighty FSP? Use those death metal tracks to test it.

I probably won't like them, because they have nasty peaks you said

I don't know, but for my genres of music, the CAL is superior imo

Apr 19, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #1,102 of 1,765
So after a few more days, they are a little bit better than the first day, but I still think the CAL sounds more realistic and clearer especially, and at the same time still smoother in the highs than the FSP.

I don't know if it's my mind, but I noticed that since last day in the night, they have became a little harsher in the highs.

Overall, not really impressed.

These best the CAL in instrument separation, bass and detail.

But the CAL bests them in a more realistic sound, clearer sound (clearer, but still smoother in the highs) , slightly better imaging (around the same soundstage width, but the CAL seems to have better depth) and comfort.

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #1,103 of 1,765
Could the driver possibly be damaged if I hear more harshness than before? Because last night when I tried to put them on my head, I heard some kind of crack on the structure of the headphone.

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #1,106 of 1,765
So the FSP has stolen the #1 spot again as my current favorite headphone! The HE-400i sounds more big and impressive, but the honeymoon is over, and after listening to more music, I realized that I still slightly prefer the FSP.

I'm actually about to buy a Sennheiser HD 800, so I highly doubt the FSP will be able to hold its own against that one.

Could the driver possibly be damaged if I hear more harshness than before? Because last night when I tried to put them on my head, I heard some kind of crack on the structure of the headphone.

It's possible that it's burning in. M-13 (the starter of this thread) mentioned going through a crazy burn-in process where the sound kept on changing. I did not experience that, except for ear pad break-in. Is it harsh in a way that you are sure is not accurate to the recording? Because I thought it had a good balance of smoothness and harshness in the sense of being accurate, except I also thought it lacked a bit of treble extension -- compared to perfection, that is. I did not find it to be harsh, really, but you have to compare to real life, not colored headphones, because it's obviously going to sound harsh compared to something that is overly smooth.

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #1,107 of 1,765
  So the FSP has stolen the #1 spot again as my current favorite headphone! The HE-400i sounds more big and impressive, but the honeymoon is over, and after listening to more music, I realized that I still slightly prefer the FSP.

I'm actually about to buy a Sennheiser HD 800, so I highly doubt the FSP will be able to hold its own against that one.

It's possible that it's burning in. M-13 (the starter of this thread) mentioned going through a crazy burn-in process where the sound kept on changing. I did not experience that, except for ear pad break-in. Is it harsh in a way that you are sure is not accurate to the recording? Because I thought it had a good balance of smoothness and harshness in the sense of being accurate, except I also thought it lacked a bit of treble extension -- compared to perfection, that is. I did not find it to be harsh, really, but you have to compare to real life, not colored headphones, because it's obviously going to sound harsh compared to something that is overly smooth.

Yeah, I'm sure it's the headphones, because yesterday, with the same exact songs, it sounded a bit smoother than now.

I also think they lack a bit of sparkle, but that doesn't bother me at all. The slightly harsh nature of the highs is bothering me far more.

For instance, it's fine when a couplet is playing, but if the chorus comes on, the harshness gets way too strong, and so I turn the volume down, but then when another couplet begins, they sound too low in volume to enjoy them, and so the cycle continues..

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #1,108 of 1,765
I don't think mine are broke, they just got a little harsher which is VERY annoying to me.

I replied to your comment that you heard a crack on the structure of the headphone. Normally all people who heard cracks on FSP got a broken pair. This has nothing to do with harsh sound or artificial treble, even though a broken structure may change the overall sound perception...

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #1,109 of 1,765
  Yeah, I'm sure it's the headphones, because yesterday, with the same exact songs, it sounded a bit smoother than now.

I also think they lack a bit of sparkle, but that doesn't bother me at all. The slightly harsh nature of the highs is bothering me far more.

For instance, it's fine when a couplet is playing, but if the chorus comes on, the harshness gets way too strong, and so I turn the volume down, but then when another couplet begins, they sound too low in volume to enjoy them, and so the cycle continues..

I have found that when you are used to smoothness, more accurate sound does sound much harsher.

Look again at the measurements for the Focal Spirit Professional, and compare them to the CAL:
http://cdn.head-fi.org/f/fe/fea59a67_Focal_Spirit_Professional_Frequency_Response_HRTF.png
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FocalSpiritProfessional.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/CreativeAurvana.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/CreativeAurvanaLive2.pdf

The FSP does not even have any peaks that would make it sound overly harsh. Look how closely it follows the green line except for that dip and the fact that the bass is elevated. My guess is that you are just used to how much smoother the CAL sounds. It could also be possible that sense of clarity from the CAL is due to that it does not have as much of a dip where the FSP does.

The way you describe it in the last paragraph makes it sound like it has nothing to do with the headphones.

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #1,110 of 1,765
These cans definitely do burn-in when time goes on. And I know it's not my brain, since yesterday they were quite harsh sounding on a specific 320 kbps mp3 recording, but since today that harshness is almost COMPLETELY gone.

And the artifical sound has completely gone away. The CAL is still clearer sounding overall, but one some songs the clarity of the FSP is REALLY impressive, even better than the CAL, but not in an artificial way.

I also think that the FSP sounds just SLIGHTY more realistic than the CAL. They have almost the same realistic tone, except the FSP sounds better with guitars, pianos and drums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back