Focal Hadenys & Azurys Review & Measurements
May 7, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #16 of 182
Anything that brings down the prices of headphones into more sane realms is a welcome addition to me, especially for having more mid-fi closed back options. I'm still rocking my B&W P7s as this whole segment of cheaper closed backs has generally been ignored by many brands - at lower prices the options are usually Bluetooth rather than passive headphones.

May 7, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #17 of 182
I understand that you can't drive them balanced, unlike the cheaper MV1. Maybe someone can compare them both.

If they can't be run balanced, then these are truly worthless to me.

I would love a lighter-weight, more comfortable closed-back Focal, but not if it can't be run balanced. Seems like these are aimed at "consumers", but I don't know any non-audiophiles who are willing to pay $500+ for wired headphones.

Confusing product launch from Focal.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #18 of 182
I think it's easy for people like us with high end open backs to see this as a bit useless, but looking at the pricing I think this could become a very competitive option for someone upgrading from the HD6XX.

In a way Focal are coming for the Meze 109 here. Resolve is saying he finds them open pair as enjoyable as the Clears, for different reasons, which could make these very good value at $700/£599. I know used Clears are around that price, but plenty want to buy new, and there a Clear is another price category.

As for the closed back, they are a little close to Celestee for comfort in price. But they are also portable and can be worn out and about, so fit a different use case.

I think it's intruiging Focal is filling out the lower ranks a bit with some passives, and overall very positive for the hobby, as previously they've really paid attention only at the high end.

But why nerf it by not allowing balanced? It seems to me that balanced is no longer a "high-end only" feature. $150 dongle DACs have balanced outputs.

May 7, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #20 of 182
I think these have the potential to be quite popular.

Yes they butt up against the Elex and OG Clear, but both of those are headphones.com exclusives now (at least I haven’t seen Drop selling Elexes for a while).

These give Focal dealers who aren’t headphones.com a much needed lower price point option.

May 7, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #21 of 182
i will wait for more reviews for the focal Hadenys, i am on the fence to buy the clear, lets see how it settle in and these two compares.
I have a feeling they'll be comparable to a Clear Mg, with the same driver and a very similar enclosure they have to be. But the pads and tuning will probably lilt them towards a Radiance tuning, which most people prefer anyway. If it's well executed, I could see a lot of people preferring them to a Clear Mg, just as people preferred Radiance to Celestee

May 7, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #24 of 182
Now THAT's a closed back MAN's headset!!
tenor.gif

May 7, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #25 of 182
Quite interested in the Azurys for travel purposes. The Bathys was quite disappointing in that regard, the DSP wasn't great and it felt like it restricted the driver's potential too much. With a good BT amp DAC this could become killer for sure, I also really dig the color scheme!

As for the Hadenys, it basically looks like a worse Clear MG design-wise which is honestly a shame, they could've gone for a more unique color scheme. Having a portable open-back also makes less sense to me, but I'm pretty sure it came down to cost savings as they're using this newer platform, which is built cheaper but actually fixes some of the issues with the "main" line platform, like the headband.

They're also not built in France unlike the "main" line which is unfortunate but hey, cost savings yet again. They are, even better! Regarding it being only single-ended, it's a bit of a shame but far from being a dealbreaker IMO, it's not like they really need the extra power often provided by a balanced output and so far I haven't heard of dying sides on the Bathys so it should be more than fine.

Either way, both seem to sound great and will most likely be suggested instead of the older lineup, the Clear OG being the only exception due to its status as THE Focal headphones.

I'd say my only worry right now would be this mesh fabric they're using, I'm really hoping for it to be close to something found on like the Airpod Max or the inner side of the "main" line pads. Right now they're looking a bit stiff but then again it's only pictures, I'm excited to get my hands on them and see how they feel. Probably will stain but should be at a slower rate compared to the microfiber on the other Focals, plus it should be easier to clean and more breathable too.

Regarding Focal releasing mid-range products, I really don't see the issue with it, I actually think it's a great thing. We've had both the Elex and Elegia for years now, both are around those prices and build quality wise those new models uses very similar materials (the Elegia is honestly the cheapest feeling of the bunch), this is far from being a new market to them, the brand isn't devalued in any way.

I'd even say this will actually make it more valuable, as this new platform fixes some very common issues with Focal headphones like clipping drivers and the breaking headband, making them more robust than the "premium" options and therefore less returns/crappy QC issues.

I'm obviously hoping that it doesn't become the only platform, since I do enjoy the bigger, more premium design of the "main" line and them being made in France new ones are too, but until they actually fix that one then this new cheaper Bathys style will be the safer bet for most people.

Let's also not forget stuff like the Spirit One / Listen Beyond were a thing, Focal already went much lower in the past and yet everyone still values them highly. I won't even bring up the awful customer support and lack of parts, but I guess that's part of the course for a "premium" brand nowadays.

I have a feeling they'll be comparable to a Clear Mg, with the same driver and a very similar enclosure they have to be. But the pads and tuning will probably lilt them towards a Radiance tuning, which most people prefer anyway. If it's well executed, I could see a lot of people preferring them to a Clear Mg, just as people preferred Radiance to Celestee

They do not share the same driver, the Hadenys uses the Al-Mg driver derived from the OG Clear, while the Clear MG uses a unique full-Mg driver which gives it that warmer sound. I'm actually surprised that Focal still hasn't released a closed-back with a full-Mg driver yet, it could become a great option between the Celestee and Stellia.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #26 of 182
Quite interested in the Azurys for travel purposes. The Bathys was quite disappointing in that regard, the DSP wasn't great and it felt like it restricted the driver's potential too much. With a good BT amp DAC this could become killer for sure, I also really dig the color scheme!

As for the Hadenys, it basically looks like a worse Clear MG design-wise which is honestly a shame, they could've gone for a more unique color scheme. Having a portable open-back also makes less sense to me, but I'm pretty sure it came down to cost savings as they're using this newer platform, which is built cheaper but actually fixes some of the issues with the "main" line platform, like the headband.

They're also not built in France unlike the "main" line which is unfortunate but hey, cost savings yet again. Regarding it being only single-ended, it's a bit of a shame but far from being a dealbreaker IMO, it's not like they really need the extra power often provided by a balanced output and so far I haven't heard of dying sides on the Bathys so it should be more than fine.

Either way, both seem to sound great and will most likely be suggested instead of the older lineup, the Clear OG being the only exception due to its status as THE Focal headphones.

I'd say my only worry right now would be this mesh fabric they're using, I'm really hoping for it to be close to something found on like the Airpod Max or the inner side of the "main" line pads. Right now they're looking a bit stiff but then again it's only pictures, I'm excited to get my hands on them and see how they feel. Probably will stain but should be at a slower rate compared to the microfiber on the other Focals, plus it should be easier to clean and more breathable too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding Focal releasing mid-range products, I really don't see the issue with it, I actually think it's a great thing. We've had both the Elex and Elegia for years now, both are around those prices and build quality wise those new models uses very similar materials (the Elegia is honestly the cheapest feeling of the bunch), this is far from being a new market to them, the brand isn't devalued in any way.

I'd even say this will actually make it more valuable, as this new platform fixes some very common issues with Focal headphones like clipping drivers and the breaking headband, making them more robust than the "premium" options and therefore less returns/crappy QC issues.

I'm obviously hoping that it doesn't become the only platform, since I do enjoy the bigger, more premium design of the "main" line and them being made in France, but until they actually fix that one then this new cheaper Bathys style will be the safer bet for most people.

Let's also not forget stuff like the Spirit One / Listen Beyond were a thing, Focal already went much lower in the past and yet everyone still values them highly. I won't even bring up the awful customer support and lack of parts, but I guess that's part of the course for a "premium" brand nowadays.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They do not share the same driver, the Hadenys uses the Al-Mg driver derived from the OG Clear, while the Clear MG uses a unique full-Mg driver which gives it that warmer sound. I'm actually surprised that Focal still hasn't released a closed-back with a full-Mg driver yet, it could become a great option between the Celestee and Stellia.
Umm, these are made in France, at least according to the Focal website.

May 7, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #27 of 182
Umm, these are made in France.
IIRC only the drivers are made in France on those, the chassis itself is made in China and they're assembled over there, which is why they're not labelled "Made in France" unlike the others. Could've changed with those new releases but at least that's how it worked with the Bathys and they all share this platform.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #29 of 182

They're also not built in France unlike the "main" line which is unfortunate but hey, cost savings yet again. Regarding it being only single-ended, it's a bit of a shame but far from being a dealbreaker IMO, it's not like they really need the extra power often provided by a balanced output and so far I haven't heard of dying sides on the Bathys so it should be more than fine.

I'm obviously hoping that it doesn't become the only platform, since I do enjoy the bigger, more premium design of the "main" line and them being made in France, but until they actually fix that one then this new cheaper Bathys style will be the safer bet for most people.

Umm, these are made in France, at least according to the Focal website.

Both of these headphones are made in France.

May 7, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #30 of 182

Users who are viewing this thread

Back