Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
Jun 21, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #1,156 of 1,465
Don't worry, after over 25 years of headphones I know what the Harman is😉,
a target curve for me that gets my full approval on the right half of the target but not on the left half.
A slight increase on the left side is also seen by me gladly and desired if the right side is good jst, but not over it

The fact that you can cover more genres with less, i.e. under Harman bass, Especially with a closed model,is no longer a secret among acousticians, and that the sonic performance is thus better suited in the long term, too.

Woom woom can make the first 10 minutes really fun, but how does it look after one or two hours?😉
As I said, I wish everyone a lot of fun with the Radiance....for me personally on the left side completely fails👎, but on the right side for his very good job,there is really even for me nothing to complain about👍

Who owns a M17 and Radiance can try it yourself, as I said by far still sufficient, even me he now makes joy
( I bet we are still about flat with this setting 😉)

4B8ABE5D-BA75-476F-B628-B6F7D28EED2A.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #1,157 of 1,465
Don't worry, after over 25 years of headphones I know what the Harman is😉,
a target curve for me that gets my full approval on the right half of the target but not on the left half.
A slight increase on the left side is also seen by me gladly and desired if the right side is good jst, but not over it

The fact that you can cover more genres with less, i.e. under Harman bass, Especially with a closed model,is no longer a secret among acousticians, and that the sonic performance is thus better suited in the long term, too.

Woom woom can make the first 10 minutes really fun, but how does it look after one or two hours?😉
As I said, I wish everyone a lot of fun with the Radiance....for me personally on the left side completely fails👎, but on the right side for his very good job,there is really even for me nothing to complain about👍

Who owns a M17 and Radiance can try it yourself, as I said by far still sufficient, even me he now makes joy
( I bet we are still about flat with this setting 😉)

E5735F2F-60A3-4C84-80A8-B8C7A5485C1F.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.lol
I like the Radiance as it is, but I will try your suggestion :)

Jun 21, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #1,159 of 1,465
Will, do, I'm waiting for them to come in, hopefully in a week or 2.
For now I can only tell you what they told me: they claim that the distributor had 1 pair in stock, they claim they could order a second pair and they confirmed me it would be the Radiance specific pads.
But I can only confirm that when I receive them. And t.b.h. I'm not sure I believe it which is why I asked them a few times if it would indeed be those pads.
Maybe it's different for NA than EU?
Any updates?

The apparent lack of viable pad replacement for these is such a bummer.

Jun 23, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #1,160 of 1,465
My Radiance came with the iFi GO Blu as a package deal which is a great match as well as a good value. Very compact, balanced input and packs a lot of punch for it's size.
I ended up trying the ifi go bar. Works pretty well. Interestingly, the balanced out works way better at driving these headphones. It’ll get “loud” on either, but unbalanced 3.5 sounds thinner and more harsh. Not sure of the reason, but it was noticeable.

Jun 26, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #1,161 of 1,465
Just bought Radiance for myself and straight-away switch cable to a custom 4.4 copper/silver-plated copper one.

How much time does diaphragm need to burn-in to come to a final state from your experience?

image.jpg

Jun 26, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #1,162 of 1,465
Just bought Radiance for myself and straight-away switch cable to a custom 4.4 copper/silver-plated copper one.

How much time does diaphragm need to burn-in to come to a final state from your experience?

image.jpg
My personal experience having owned five separate units all of them opened up to their final state really quickly. Maybe 3-5 hours total.

They don’t transform as much as something from ZMF for example and don’t require 100+ hours burn-in like those do.

Jun 27, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #1,163 of 1,465

Mine took over 60 hours of burn-in to fill out the bass and eliminate the treble harshness. I was ready to return them after three days of burn-in. During the last 20 hours there was a transformation. In the decades of being a headphone aficionado, I have never seen such dramatic changes from burn-in. It appears others have found theirs to be less sensitive to burn-in, so there may be some variability in the manufacturing process of these headphones. Note that these are now one of my favorite headphones.

Jul 1, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #1,164 of 1,465
Put these back on a few days ago. I forgot how good the bass and the isolation was. I always prefer open-backs, but as summer is upon us, the deck doors are wide open, the cats are playing and the wife is talking.
Time for closed-backs. :smile:

Great sound on any amp, with any genre. Very comfortable, although the clamp is a little tight.

As a Elex/Clear lover, these are a natural fit in the collection. And pair Really nicely with the Violectric V220. MUCH better than the Elegia's.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #1,165 of 1,465
Put these back on a few days ago. I forgot how good the bass and the isolation was. I always prefer open-backs, but as summer is upon us, the deck doors are wide open, the cats are playing and the wife is talking.
Time for closed-backs. :smile:

Great sound on any amp, with any genre. Very comfortable, although the clamp is a little tight.

As a Clear lover, these are a natural fit in the collection. And pair Really nicely with the Violectric V220.
They also pair up very nice with the Cayin RU7!! I've been enjoying that combo last few days.

Jul 2, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #1,166 of 1,465
They also pair up very nice with the Cayin RU7!! I've been enjoying that combo last few days.
I haven't tried them with my dongle yet. But now that you mention it, I think I will try them out with my KA5 today.

Jul 2, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #1,167 of 1,465
I am starting off with my KA5 dongle. Really good sound! Not desktop level, but very nice. I could enjoy this set-up for many hours at work or during a blackout. :smile:

Jul 6, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #1,168 of 1,465
I spoke directly with a Focal rep in Canada. My brother in law works for one of the largest Hi-Fi stores in North America so I got a direct contact.

The Focal rep said they don’t make replacement pads nor do they plan on making them. This was 6 months ago so unless something changed I wouldn’t expect to get Radiance pads. If you do please let me know who sold them to you as I’d buy a few sets myself.

As promised I'm letting you know I received the 2 pairs of spare Focal Radiance earpads.
They are original Radiance pads, have the two kinds of fabric on the inner side of the pads, leather on the outside, same thickness.
I bought them from iEar.nl .

Jul 6, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #1,170 of 1,465
2 pair, quite a lot of money!
But you would be set for a very long time. Especially if you have a few sets of headphones to rotate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back