Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
Jun 13, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #1,141 of 1,465
Jun 17, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #1,142 of 1,465
I too just purchased a pair. Wow, great headphones. does anyone have recommendations for a portable DAC/amp to drive them? I have a setup in my office, but I’d like to take these places. I’d like something with an internal battery so as not to drain my phone super fast. I saw the mojo 2 mentioned, what else?

Jun 17, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #1,143 of 1,465
I too just purchased a pair. Wow, great headphones. does anyone have recommendations for a portable DAC/amp to drive them? I have a setup in my office, but I’d like to take these places. I’d like something with an internal battery so as not to drain my phone super fast. I saw the mojo 2 mentioned, what else?
iFi Gryphon is a monster at its price point. Sounds wonderful with the Radiance but it leans warmer compared to the Mojo 2. So if you’re trying to accentuate the detail retrieval of the Radiance I’d go with the Mojo 2. But if you’re like me and trying to retain the warmth and body but want to lean into the warm signature a bit more the Gryphon would be a better fit.

I’ve also heard great things about the RU6 as well as the M15 if you want a lower budget option. The Radiance don’t need a tonne of power to drive them so skys the limit with combinations.

Jun 17, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #1,144 of 1,465

My Radiance came with the iFi GO Blu as a package deal which is a great match as well as a good value. Very compact, balanced output and packs a lot of punch for it's size.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #1,145 of 1,465
Why would I buy the Radiance when I already have the Stellia? There are still some new ones around....

Jun 17, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #1,146 of 1,465
Why would I buy the Radiance when I already have the Stellia? There are still some new ones around....
For me the Radiance was Much better looking and Much cheaper. :smile:

What is your take on the Stellia's, sound wise? End game closed back for you?

Are you considering upgrading for looks or for sound? Just curious.

Jun 17, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #1,147 of 1,465
Radiance is tuned a lot better in my opinion. Stellia sounds really wonky. That’s obviously personal preference but it answers your question.

Jun 17, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #1,148 of 1,465
I see that @WaveTheory is in the thread right now. Check out his review. It’s really thoughtful and would give you the answer that you’re looking for with a well informed and pretty unbiased perspective.

I’ve personally got a super biased opinion as the Radiance is in my top ten headphones of all time regardless of price.

Jun 18, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #1,149 of 1,465
For me the Radiance was Much better looking and Much cheaper. :smile:

What is your take on the Stellia's, sound wise? End game closed back for you?

Are you considering upgrading for looks or for sound? Just curious.
Not really looking to upgrade. Was just curious as they apparently will be sold out soon. I am really happy with the Stellia's and I don't mind the looks (the Radiance looks better though). Got the Stellia's right after their release (had the cash at that time). I find them sounding really nice with the gear I have. Primarily they are used, when I need to block out other noise (TV sound etc.). But when everything is quiet, I still go for reach out for my open back HPs :dt880smile:

Jun 20, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #1,150 of 1,465
Because some have asked me about Radiance 😝🙈

NOMAX

Ps.only after reducing its okay 👍

7FA99072-4A10-42CF-92F4-3546CE20EE7B.jpeg

Jun 20, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #1,151 of 1,465
Because some have asked me about Radiance 😝🙈

NOMAX

Ps.only after reducing its okay 👍

7FA99072-4A10-42CF-92F4-3546CE20EE7B.jpeg
Definitely do not agree Nomax :). This is the very bass light edition for Focal Radiance. I prefer Radiance without any EQ at all and I actually think that the default tuning is spot on.

We all have different ears and opinions :)

Jun 20, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #1,152 of 1,465
Definitely do not agree Nomax :). This is the very bass light edition for Focal Radiance. I prefer Radiance without any EQ at all and I actually think that the default tuning is spot on.

We all have different ears and opinions :)

Woom woom sounding has no place in a balanced audiophile performance for me 😉
(However, one thing is positive....the Radiance stock tuning sounds better than the Stellia stock tuning/blue )

894F3B6B-44C5-4822-BBB3-0BC38A816BE3.jpeg

NOMAX

Ps.lol

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #1,153 of 1,465
Woom woom sounding has no place in a balanced audiophile performance for me 😉
(However, one thing is positive....the Radiance stock tuning sounds better than the Stellia stock tuning/blue )

894F3B6B-44C5-4822-BBB3-0BC38A816BE3.jpeg

NOMAX

Ps.lol
What is audiophile performance though? I know that a lot of the older high end open back headphones have severe lack of bass compared to neutral, but that doesn't mean it is correct to remove a lot of bass. Based on the measurements I've seen of the radiance there should be 2-3 db bass reduction if one is going for flat frequency response in the bass that you would get from speakers in an anechoic chamber and a minor reduction in a small area if one is going for the harman curve.

Dropping the bass 5-8db makes me believe you feel bass light (droppoff in bass compared to flat frequency response) open backs are what qualifies as audiophile performance for you.

Jun 20, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #1,154 of 1,465
Who says that the EQ of the M17 really lowers -8db the bass?😉
(Even with this setting as on the photo, it still has more than the Utopia 😎)

Stellia as well as Radiance show much too much in the lower range.....and for that it does not need me and my ears not
The untrained ear hears immediately that this is not really suitable for long term use

As I said I was asked by some, for me the matter with Radiance is thus settled..so have fun with Radiance 👍

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #1,155 of 1,465
Stellia as well as Radiance show much too much in the lower range.....and for that it does not need me and my ears not
The untrained ear hears immediately that this is not really suitable for long term use
You are saying it like it is gospel for everyone. Both Radiance and Stellia are fairly close to the harman curve when it comes to bass, outside of a few db bump in the 70-150hz area. The harman curve is a general preference curve and is only a few db boosted in the bass compared a what would be perceived as neutral in an anechoic chamber measured on the rigs that can be translated to the harman curve. Some prefer more than a few db more bass than the harman curve some a few db less. Your opinion is just your preference and it is silly and arrogant to write "The untrained ear hears immediately that this is not really suitable for long term use". I stand by that you come of as a person preferring less than neutral levels of bass and way less than the harman curve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back