Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
Feb 15, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #646 of 1,465
I actually had the Radiance for a short time. I sold my Celestee in order upgrade to the Radiance. Sadly when I recieved them, I really did like their sound. I thought they were to loose and slightly bloated bass. I actually thought the bass on the Celestee was tighter and more defined with a bit more slam. After selling my Radiance, I purchased the LCD-XC, and can say to my ears I have found the perfect closed back for me. I really enjoy the nice smooth, clear, detailed sound. I do EQ the bass slightly, but I found that they are the ones for me. I guess it's all subjective, I read a lot of people feal the same about the Radiance, which is great. The only way to really know what works for you is to try them out for yourself.
I own all three and I like them all. The XC is a great headphone indeed. I do use the Audeze presets though. I find the stock tuning too bright.

Feb 15, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #647 of 1,465
LOL ops sorry I read off this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_in_Singapore (this is safe for work LOL)

But hopefully I didn't get you to google some NSFW stuff at work LOL.

Yeah I think to be honest most regular people only think of expensive headphone like Airpod Max or Bose or Beats headphones.

No one knows how much our stuff costs. It's even funnier with keyboard. I used to leave this at work: https://fujitsuscannerstore.com/cg01000-290601/

And everyone just walks by and like oh why do you have such an old keyboard LOL.

Yeah I read about this somewhere in this thread, makes me cautious about getting a Radiance.

Hmmmmm this could potentially be end game, might have to consider the risk of duds and think about it a bit..... LOL.
Hahaha it was fun tho, no nips were shown or any naked, they looked like some normal clothed in secretary stuff :p But I can see people in Singapore are afraid of that hahaha

Exactly. Although the Airpods (Pro), so not the Max are already expensive to them. If you tell them your Radiance is €1299, they won't either believe, or laugh at you or both.

Lol about the people reacting to your keyboard.

I want the Radiance too but I'm cautious too.

Feb 16, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #649 of 1,465
Haha are they almost non-existent there?

Man, Netherlands literally never do nice discounts on such headphones...
Audiofrenzy.nl has it on sale currently.

Feb 16, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #650 of 1,465
I own all three and I like them all. The XC is a great headphone indeed. I do use the Audeze presets though. I find the stock tuning too bright.
I had the XC for a month while I owned the Radiance and found the XC to be waaaay too bright. For my ears I couldn't listen to them for longer than 45mins before massive fatigue. In my opinion they require EQ. Not just a sub bass shelf as I find the stock tuning very lean but also a big cut in the highs. I did find that the XC out resolves the Radiance handedly though and is an end game closed back for technicalities if you're proficient with EQ.

The Radiance is tuned very different and I can see someone owning both. For my tastes the Radiance and Verite Closed fills the closed back gap and gets me everything I'd ever need for all genres.

Feb 16, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #651 of 1,465
I had the XC for a month while I owned the Radiance and found the XC to be waaaay too bright. For my ears I couldn't listen to them for longer than 45mins before massive fatigue. In my opinion they require EQ. Not just a sub bass shelf as I find the stock tuning very lean but also a big cut in the highs. I did find that the XC out resolves the Radiance handedly though and is an end game closed back for technicalities if you're proficient with EQ.

The Radiance is tuned very different and I can see someone owning both. For my tastes the Radiance and Verite Closed fills the closed back gap and gets me everything I'd ever need for all genres.
This was my experience with the LCDX. I couldn't get any good sub bass out of it with EQ. Adding a shelf just gave me low quality one note bass. The XC graphs look like they have the same sub bass dropout issues. I found I hate EQing, it distracts me from music listening. I'll never buy a headphone that requires EQ again.

Feb 16, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #652 of 1,465
This was my experience with the LCDX. I couldn't get any good sub bass out of it with EQ. Adding a shelf just gave me low quality one note bass. The XC graphs look like they have the same sub bass dropout issues. I found I hate EQing, it distracts me from music listening. I'll never buy a headphone that requires EQ again.
With Roon it’s two clicks. If I didn’t have Roon I’d probably avoid headphones that require EQ too.

Feb 19, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #653 of 1,465
I’m primarily an open-back planar head-fier but I was recently in the market for a portable closed back set up for travel and office use after realizing my ear canals get itchy after priolonged iem use. After auditioning a bunch of closed backs (all of the Focal closed, VC, Liric, Stealth, etc.) I found that Focal Radiance ticked all the right boxes in terms of looks, comfort, ease of driving, value, and sound. Driven with the new iFi Gryphon, I am quite happy. As someone who’s used to the Susvara/1266 stable, I am beyond satisfied to add the Focal Radiance to round up this triad.

The stock cable sucks but it was an easy and inexpensive replacement with the new Meze99 balanced cable upgrade (silver plated copper). It is such an improvement both ergonomically and sonically. Soundwise it’s likely perhaps due to the amp sounding better out of balanced vs se but nonetheless the net outcome is that the Radiance sounds very good indeed. 70F29513-29BA-4D4D-AFE3-2CB0CFFD4ECE.jpeg
Agreed it’s a great travel headphone it also sounds amazing with a DX312 or my old black label.

Feb 27, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #654 of 1,465
I am looking to purchase a longer cable for my Radiance. I have a balanced amp/dac (Schiit Jotenheim2) and am wondering if a balanced cable will work for these headphones. Thanks so much for the hand!

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #655 of 1,465
I am looking to purchase a longer cable for my Radiance. I have a balanced amp/dac (Schiit Jotenheim2) and am wondering if a balanced cable will work for these headphones. Thanks so much for the hand!
Any cable with dual-mono 3.5mm connection to the earcups will work.

Mar 2, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #656 of 1,465
Hi all...

First time poster. Just received my Radiance as an Open Box purchase from Headphones dot com. Love the build quality and the appearance.

However, I'm having an issue, as the earcups seem spring-loaded, so they are constantly trying to pull the earcups back into their normal position, rather than loosely allowing them to stay flush with the sides of my head. This causes there to be space between the top of the pad and my head, causing the bass response to suffer rather noticeably.

This doesn't feel like it's functioning correctly. Is there an easy fix for this, or is this a manufacturing issue that needs repairing? Perhaps I could loosen the screw that fastens the yoke to the earcup, but I wanted to check with others who have used the Radiance to see what the issue might be.

Thanks for any help!

Mar 2, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #657 of 1,465
Hi all...

First time poster. Just received my Radiance as an Open Box purchase from Headphones dot com. Love the build quality and the appearance.

However, I'm having an issue, as the earcups seem spring-loaded, so they are constantly trying to pull the earcups back into their normal position, rather than loosely allowing them to stay flush with the sides of my head. This causes there to be space between the top of the pad and my head, causing the bass response to suffer rather noticeably.

This doesn't feel like it's functioning correctly. Is there an easy fix for this, or is this a manufacturing issue that needs repairing? Perhaps I could loosen the screw that fastens the yoke to the earcup, but I wanted to check with others who have used the Radiance to see what the issue might be.

Thanks for any help!
I've heard of this happening to early Stellia units. Maybe search in that thread too. I don't remember if/how it was fixed, but I suspect it needs to be addressed by Focal.

Mar 2, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #658 of 1,465
Hi all...

Thanks for any help!
Yeah the spring is a hinge spring. Loosing the screw won't do anything. I don't even think it's a screw so you might damage it if you try to twist it.

Mar 2, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #660 of 1,465
Thanks for the info.

Is my only option a factory repair? It was an Open Box purchase so my options seem limited.
Sorry tot hear that. You can still try. What I've understand from your issue and others their replies, factor repair seems to be your only issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back