Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
Jan 13, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #616 of 1,465
The standout feature on the Radiance to me is comfort. Sure, if it sounded bad I would bail, but I’ve had my set for about 6 weeks now. It’s paired to a Naim Unit Atom HE and man what a great combo. It’s my bedroom night rig. I can put on the music and read while the family sleeps. Bliss.

Jan 13, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #617 of 1,465
I'm now on my third set of the Radiance.

1st set was unbelievably enjoyable and I absolutely loved how they sounded. They developed a creaking in the left yoke so I sent them in to Focal for service. The service in Canada was exceptional and they did a great job in fixing the yoke but unfortunately when I got them back they didn't sound like I remembered them so I sold them.

2nd set was purchased from Headphones.com as a pre-own. Again I didn't like how they sounded as they didn't sound like my first set at all. Way less bass. Pad on the right side was not even and much smaller density creating a strange lack of seal. Returned them and paid the restocking fee.

3rd set I received on Monday of this week after buying a set here on Head-Fi. This unit has about 2-3db less bass than my original but other than that it sounds incredible. Noticeably more resolving than the Meze Liric I just sold and a MUCH better frequency response. The Liric needs quite a bit of EQ to sound the way I wanted and for that price I don't want to always EQ for me to enjoy a headphone.

The moral of my story here is that there seems to be a lot of unit variance. I know that's the same with most manufacturers but in my past experience owning quite a few other Focal's they seem to be more prone to unit variance than other manufacturers.

I can also extrapolate that it's the same problem with review units as the measurements posted for the Radiance vary quite a bit and a lot of reviewers hear them differently from one another. Joshua Valour for example in his Radiance review called it a semi-open back so obviously his unit was similar to my second one with a lack of seal.

Jan 13, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #619 of 1,465
Jan 14, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #620 of 1,465
If I may ask, how is this working out for you? Is it as easy to use and solid on sound quality as its reviews show?
Probably better to answer in one of the threads on this device, so I’ll try to keep it short and not to go too askew. I purchased blind as soon as they came out and it’s a keeper. It didn’t last long as my primary rig (with Focal Stellia) because I jumped up to a dCS Bartok, but what a solid piece of kit. Convenience of a wireless all-in-one, with great sound. Perfect Roon integration, as I drive it. It’s done duty with some Electrostatic speakers, my mom borrowed it (and tried to buy it from me; so she got a Naim Uniti Star instead), and then I got this set of Radiance in the holiday sales to pair with it. Marvelous.

Jan 14, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #621 of 1,465
I'm now on my third set of the Radiance.

1st set was unbelievably enjoyable and I absolutely loved how they sounded. They developed a creaking in the left yoke so I sent them in to Focal for service. The service in Canada was exceptional and they did a great job in fixing the yoke but unfortunately when I got them back they didn't sound like I remembered them so I sold them.

2nd set was purchased from Headphones.com as a pre-own. Again I didn't like how they sounded as they didn't sound like my first set at all. Way less bass. Pad on the right side was not even and much smaller density creating a strange lack of seal. Returned them and paid the restocking fee.

3rd set I received on Monday of this week after buying a set here on Head-Fi. This unit has about 2-3db less bass than my original but other than that it sounds incredible. Noticeably more resolving than the Meze Liric I just sold and a MUCH better frequency response. The Liric needs quite a bit of EQ to sound the way I wanted and for that price I don't want to always EQ for me to enjoy a headphone.

The moral of my story here is that there seems to be a lot of unit variance. I know that's the same with most manufacturers but in my past experience owning quite a few other Focal's they seem to be more prone to unit variance than other manufacturers.

I can also extrapolate that it's the same problem with review units as the measurements posted for the Radiance vary quite a bit and a lot of reviewers hear them differently from one another. Joshua Valour for example in his Radiance review called it a semi-open back so obviously his unit was similar to my second one with a lack of seal.
Well this certainly makes me feel a bit reluctant to take the plunge.

Jan 14, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #622 of 1,465
I have had 2 sets of Radiance as well. I also had the creaking yoke, and here my dealer together with the local distributor have handled it perfectly and exchanged my unit.
I haven't noticed that much variance, but it has been a year already so my memory might be a bit faded.

However, I did try some pad-rolling. I've had the Dekoni Elite Hybrids, and now have the Elite sheepskins. I didn't like the hybrids, as they robbed the radiance of some low-end which I didn't like. The sheepskins are better; but I'm still testing. They're more like the original pads, but perhaps a bit more low (I'm not entirely sure yet) and something different in the highs or high-mids. I have to do some more listening as I also switched gear in the meantime.

Cheers!

Jan 14, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #623 of 1,465
Well this certainly makes me feel a bit reluctant to take the plunge.
Yeah. My apologies for potentially scaring some people off but i'm sure the same thing happens with lots of other manufacturers.

I will say that the unit that I currently have is easily one of the most enjoyable headphones I've owned and I reach for them as often as I do my VC.

Jan 14, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #624 of 1,465
I have had 2 sets of Radiance as well. I also had the creaking yoke, and here my dealer together with the local distributor have handled it perfectly and exchanged my unit.
I haven't noticed that much variance, but it has been a year already so my memory might be a bit faded.

However, I did try some pad-rolling. I've had the Dekoni Elite Hybrids, and now have the Elite sheepskins. I didn't like the hybrids, as they robbed the radiance of some low-end which I didn't like. The sheepskins are better; but I'm still testing. They're more like the original pads, but perhaps a bit more low (I'm not entirely sure yet) and something different in the highs or high-mids. I have to do some more listening as I also switched gear in the meantime.

Cheers!
Looks like we're on very similar paths. I've tried the Dekoni Elite Velours and coincidentally I just purchased a set of Elite Sheepskins last night. I agree with the Elite Velours. They robbed almost all of the low end from the Radiance and it wasn't a good pairing at all. I originally bought them for a Focal Clear but sold the Clears soon after for something else. Once the sheepskins arrive I'll do my own testing as well. I bought them to have a secondary pad option in case the OG Radiance pads get damaged.

Jan 31, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #626 of 1,465
Feb 15, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #627 of 1,465
I’m primarily an open-back planar head-fier but I was recently in the market for a portable closed back set up for travel and office use after realizing my ear canals get itchy after priolonged iem use. After auditioning a bunch of closed backs (all of the Focal closed, VC, Liric, Stealth, etc.) I found that Focal Radiance ticked all the right boxes in terms of looks, comfort, ease of driving, value, and sound. Driven with the new iFi Gryphon, I am quite happy. As someone who’s used to the Susvara/1266 stable, I am beyond satisfied to add the Focal Radiance to round up this triad.

The stock cable sucks but it was an easy and inexpensive replacement with the new Meze99 balanced cable upgrade (silver plated copper). It is such an improvement both ergonomically and sonically. Soundwise it’s likely perhaps due to the amp sounding better out of balanced vs se but nonetheless the net outcome is that the Radiance sounds very good indeed.
70F29513-29BA-4D4D-AFE3-2CB0CFFD4ECE.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #629 of 1,465
I’m primarily an open-back planar head-fier but I was recently in the market for a portable closed back set up for travel and office use after realizing my ear canals get itchy after priolonged iem use. After auditioning a bunch of closed backs (all of the Focal closed, VC, Liric, Stealth, etc.) I found that Focal Radiance ticked all the right boxes in terms of looks, comfort, ease of driving, value, and sound. Driven with the new iFi Gryphon, I am quite happy. As someone who’s used to the Susvara/1266 stable, I am beyond satisfied to add the Focal Radiance to round up this triad.

The stock cable sucks but it was an easy and inexpensive replacement with the new Meze99 balanced cable upgrade (silver plated copper). It is such an improvement both ergonomically and sonically. Soundwise it’s likely perhaps due to the amp sounding better out of balanced vs se but nonetheless the net outcome is that the Radiance sounds very good indeed. 70F29513-29BA-4D4D-AFE3-2CB0CFFD4ECE.jpeg
Lol it's funny how my friend just told me to buy a Radiance but I've never been a fan of the look + Bentley logo (too much bling, I like clean look like OG Clear). So I wasn't sold on it.

Then DMS just released a review video yesterday and today you wrote this review. It's almost as if the universe is telling me to buy it lol.
Hi guys. Does the radiance soundstage the same as the celestee?
I hope not, I read Celestee have almost no sound stage.

Feb 15, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #630 of 1,465
Hi guys. Does the radiance soundstage the same as the celestee?
No, the Radiance stage is bigger. It’s not open-back planar big, but it’s outside the head like a nice sound bubble where sound is properly layered and placed in their proper places. As an open-back guy, I am pleased with the stage size of this closed back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back