Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
Jul 28, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #556 of 1,498
Oh my goodness.. So I splurged a bit here. I was looking into the Focal Elegia, but after watching and reading a lot of reviews & comments, I was really getting drawn towards the Radiance. I decided to just jump on it. The package arrived yesterday (Monday). I had FedEx put a hold on it, due to my work schedule. I was certain they’d roll by while I was gone & I wasn’t going to risk them leaving it at the door. “Contactless Signature”. So I get the alert in the morning, it was at their facility. I run over there, get the box, some breakfast, and head back home. This was one heck of a presentation. Apple is known for their presentation - but you might as well be pulling an iPhone out of a bag of McDonalds! Focal really outdid themselves!

So right off the bat, I gave them a quick test run with the FiiO M11 and I’m already happy and they’ll only get better with time. I let them burn in for several hours last night and did some more listening. Oh man, these are absolutely my speed! I really go back and forth on how much I love ‘bass’ in my music. I -love- the Sundara’s. They’re excellent, but once in a while I want more bass. I have the V-Moda’s for that, but then sometimes the singers come off like their singing thru a toilet paper roll, into the mic. Honestly tho, going from the V-Moda’s, with some crushing bass, to the Sundara’s, and it only takes a few minutes before I’m perfectly happy with their bass.

I’m no audiophile, but I’m absolutely an audio nerd. With that said, I’m not very analytical of music, but I absolutely require the music i listen to, to ’sound good’. It’s always so pleasantly surprising when you hear something new in music you’ve listened to your whole life. Or just things you don’t hear when you’re in your car, or bluetooth earbuds. Something I have come to really recognize and appreciate, is how music from, oh probably the 60s-90s, was recorded to be enjoyed, more than just listened to. Or at least, that’s how I perceive it. Sure music recorded today can use super high quality gear, hit machine-perfect timing, chords, etc. However, its almost like they expect you to listen to it over your TV speakers, or a cheap set of earbuds, so they don’t put that extra effort into it. Not all, but It seems like a LOT of newer music. Then you go back to something like “O-o-h Child” (as linked last night in the Zen DAC thread), Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Bowie, Hendrix, Zeplin, Skynyrd, (and on and on), and it seems like they were really put an effort into how the sound was going to image.… Anyways, I’m rambling! Let’s move along.

I am -really- enjoying these headphones. Like holy fricken crap. Maybe its because my other ‘most expensive’ set was the Sundara @ $350, and I’m just convincing myself to justify the price, but these are seriously my kinda headphones. I listened to all of the above, as well as some RHCP, Disturbed, and as it was pushing 3am, finishing the night off with some Five Finger Death Punch - White Knuckles & The Bleeding. It was getting a little boomy with FFDP, but I also had the “xbass” button on w/ my Zen CAN. These headphones really did great. This has gone on quite a bit for not being a review, and I’ve had to trim quite a bit of rambling lol. Anyhow, I just wanted to hop in and share some of what I’ve experienced with these!

Jul 28, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #557 of 1,498
One relatively common thing I've come across in reviews of the Radiance, is that the upper mids tend to be thin and somewhat metallic sounding. Not much depth, body, and layering with vocals, especially female artists. What are people's thoughts on this?

Jul 29, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #558 of 1,498
One relatively common thing I've come across in reviews of the Radiance, is that the upper mids tend to be thin and somewhat metallic sounding. Not much depth, body, and layering with vocals, especially female artists. What are people's thoughts on this?
I've experienced nothing like that. If you haven't yet listened to them, please do.

Jul 29, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #559 of 1,498
I've experienced nothing like that. If you haven't yet listened to them, please do.
In case any of the readers of this string may be interested, I’ve just listed my mint-condition Radiance in the classifieds (not linking here as it may violate forum rules).

If budget and space were no consideration, I’d keep them. I really think they reach the point of diminishing returns and are darn good- with looks and comfort to match.

As the sale of the Radiance is to help fund a Stellia purchase, I took the opportunity to do a quick comparison of the two before (carefully) boxing up the Radiance for its new owner. My write-up can be found in the closed-back headphone thread (not cross-linking in case that’s a forum no-no).

Jul 29, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #561 of 1,498
The Radiance is not a balanced headphone since it emphasizes sub-base to lower mids. This will make it appear that upper mids are thin since you are setting your volume to taste on base. If you EQ, its very easy to fix that.

As far a metallic sounding I never understood that. Most of the Focal lineup has been accused of that, like the Focal Clear. I've never figured it out. It's like the Hifiman Arya being accused by Joshua Valour as having a "plasticky" sound even though its one of his favorite headphones. After a few months I think I know what he is talking about and realized, all this time, I liked it. It's a feature not a bug.

The Radiance does not sound metallic to me but then again I don't know what that really means.

Jul 29, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #562 of 1,498
In case any of the readers of this string may be interested, I’ve just listed my mint-condition Radiance in the classifieds (not linking here as it may violate forum rules).

If budget and space were no consideration, I’d keep them. I really think they reach the point of diminishing returns and are darn good- with looks and comfort to match.

As the sale of the Radiance is to help fund a Stellia purchase, I took the opportunity to do a quick comparison of the two before (carefully) boxing up the Radiance for its new owner. My write-up can be found in the closed-back headphone thread (not cross-linking in case that’s a forum no-no).
Stellia’s are amazing i love mine, I still enjoy my Radiance as my portable option for travel or casual listening they both scale well.
They sound good on a BTR5 Balanced or a little bear mk4 balanced better on my m11pro balanced and even better on a BL iDSD mirco.

Jul 29, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #563 of 1,498
Hey guys so I currently have two pairs of the radiance and have noticed that the bently logo on one of mine is a reflective metallic texture while on the other pair it is just normal looking matte paint and doesnt look as classy.:thinking:

Jul 30, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #564 of 1,498
So after months of use my dekoni hybrids lost a little impact. I just got a set of dekoni elite sheepskins and the bass is even more present. The mids are warmer, maybe too much, but damn the sheepskins are fun. I def recommend adding that dekoni elite sheepskin pads to the Radiance kit. I also got the limited edition dekonis that are pretty much the same design of the originals but with stiffer leather and cushion, more detailed but not as impactful and fun as the sheepskins or hybrids.

Jul 31, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #565 of 1,498
Hey guys so I currently have two pairs of the radiance and have noticed that the bently logo on one of mine is a reflective metallic texture while on the other pair it is just normal looking matte paint and doesnt look as classy.:thinking:
I had my dealer exchange my pair because of the creaking problem (awesome service by my dealer and the local distributor), and I noticed the same. It makes me think: did Focal do a (small) adjustment/redesign? Anybody have any insights into this?

Aug 1, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #566 of 1,498
Is there a trick to soften up the stock headphone cable? I've tried folding the opposite of the bends. It helps straighten them out, a little bit, but they're still stiff as hell. I do have some balanced cables I use, but some nights the balanced output on my DAC is a bit much, but any lower on the volume knob & the audio balance goes out the door (ifi Zen DAC v2)

Aug 2, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #568 of 1,498
Yeah, the trick is to fold it up neatly and pack it in the box. Then go order an aftermarket cable :)
It's unfortunately true, as is the case for most Focal cables.

Aug 7, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #569 of 1,498
First impressions: not bad. Not bad a at all... :) Early days but I quite like these. Nice bass and very clear sounding, good soundstage ... Looking forward to spending more time with em.

EDIT: but the stock cable is unusable...

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #570 of 1,498
Hi,
I’m noticing some sound leaking even after good seal ! Is it natural ? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back