Focal Elegia - what do you think?
May 19, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #4,412 of 4,840
Worked great. Did that apply a coupon or something?

Dude! You saved me so much, thank you thank you thank you! Ordered and excited to try them myself.
Congrats on your new (incoming) shiny! :)
BTW got no balanced gear yet, but definitely considering a schiit magnius since it is relatively cheap and should play nice with all this other gear I have from them. Not sure it matters with Elegia but thought I would ask around.

Headphones should be in my hands later today!
This can be answered by saying that it all depends.

What I mean is that it is going to depend on the implementation from the maker of the source device as to whether it is better or not. I have not found the Elegia to scale too much with more power, so you can rule that part out. With the devices I use, there is not much difference, but with budget devices you will want to compare the numbers for the outputs (i.e. SNR, DNR, THD+N, etc...). Most times these numbers are much better on a balanced output than they are on SE. And with some devices this will affect the technicalities heard, rather than the tuning itself. So if you aren't into staging and imaging and etc... but are all about the tuning, then this will not matter to you at all.

Keep in mind that if a SE connector is implemented well, and already has good numbers, you may not hear that difference in the balanced connection for these.

There is one area that balanced will ALWAYS be better at than SE, and it is because of the way it is wired, and can't be changed, and that is crosstalk. But again, if the chain leading up to the output of the SE connection is implemented very well, it stands to reason you shouldn't hear any noise because of this (though it is still possible on SE compared to balanced).

May 19, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #4,413 of 4,840
I have not found the Elegia to scale too much with more power, so you can rule that part out.
That I can agree on... but ...I have found the Elegia transparent enough to appreciate the differences in gear, with the Sennheiser HDVD800 I was surprised by the amount of layering and depth with the Elegia, maybe more so than with the Bryston BHA-1.
Heard quite easily on this album.....TakéDaké "Asian-Roots"
https://tidal.com/browse/album/99219617

May 24, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #4,414 of 4,840
Got a new cable for my Elegia just so I can get a little more length and I can mess around with balanced mode.

elegiasilver.jpg

According to the AliExpress page, this is "made of 6N OCC copper Single Crystal Silver Plated wires."

But honestly, I bought this because I wanted a silver cable instead of the black stock. I like how the silver goes with the silver accents on the headphones themselves. And it wasn't terribly expensive; 1.5m, 2.5mm balanced cost me $40.

Sounds more or less like the stock cable, no microphonics unless I'm actively moving, and even then it's minor. Balanced seems to give more volume overall than stock, but that could be my head playing tricks.

May 25, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #4,415 of 4,840
Sounds more or less like the stock cable, no microphonics unless I'm actively moving, and even then it's minor. Balanced seems to give more volume overall than stock, but that could be my head playing tricks.
Sounds about right and yes, no tricks, normally a balanced output will, but not always, supply twice the voltage and therefore will be louder at the same setting.

May 25, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #4,416 of 4,840
Does anyone have advice on how to clean the Focal emblem?

That center silver medallion is surprisingly tough to clean because on one hand, the Focal “F” is an open port, meaning you can’t use water, but then on the other hand, the metal circle has this rough concentric material that makes it hard to rub with a tissue or even a microfiber cloth.

So when I accidentally touch the emblem and leave a fingerprint, it’s surprisingly difficult to clean.

May 26, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #4,417 of 4,840
Does anyone have advice on how to clean the Focal emblem?

That center silver medallion is surprisingly tough to clean because on one hand, the Focal “F” is an open port, meaning you can’t use water, but then on the other hand, the metal circle has this rough concentric material that makes it hard to rub with a tissue or even a microfiber cloth.

So when I accidentally touch the emblem and leave a fingerprint, it’s surprisingly difficult to clean.
I used a Q-tip with some rubbing alcohol and mine was as good as new

May 26, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #4,419 of 4,840
I used a Q-tip with some rubbing alcohol and mine was as good as new
Ditto...not too sure what actually builds up there, obviously body oils, etc..but still. Had it on my 1st pair and thought it was odd seeing the nice silvery sheen go to an oily matt and then sure enough it showed up on my 2nd pair. Tried using a bit of tissue and or cloth and it acts like a file quickly wearing a hole. (as he looks down at the ruined tail end of his shirt.:rolling_eyes: )

May 26, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #4,420 of 4,840
I'm pretty late to the elegia party but these things sound amazing for a closed back. Snagged a excellent deal at adorama on an open box under 300. Been looking for a really solid closed can for some time and I think I found it in the elegia.

May 27, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #4,421 of 4,840
I'm pretty late to the elegia party but these things sound amazing for a closed back. Snagged a excellent deal at adorama on an open box under 300. Been looking for a really solid closed can for some time and I think I found it in the elegia.
Congrats on your new shiny! :)

Better late than never... :) Honestly for the (nowadays) low cost it really is a no brainer (IMHO). As I mentioned (probably a few time), I would have paid OG retail for these (though I am so glad I didn't have to).

May 29, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #4,422 of 4,840
Just ordered the Elegia brand new for $299 from Adorama via this Link
If you go straight to Adorama and search for the Elegia it’s $399, so save yourself $100 by using the link!

I also have a question. My only other headphone/Earphone is the Shure SE846 and I love them via the Thrish mod. Will I be disappointed with the Elegia since I love the sound signature of the SE-846?

Last edited:
May 29, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #4,423 of 4,840
Just ordered the Elegia brand new for $299 from Adorama via this Link
If you go straight to Adorama and search for the Elegia it’s $399, so save yourself $100 by using the link!

I also have a question. My only other headphone/Earphone is the Shure SE846 and I love them via the Thrish mod. Will I be disappointed with the Elegia since I love the sound signature of the SE-846?
Your brain may need to be "burned-in" to the Elegia's sound. Try to listen to the Elegia continuously for a week before switching back to the Shure, then report back to the thread what your opinion is at that time. Cheers!

May 29, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #4,425 of 4,840
same...got a open box from them with the upgraded Focal cable! While people act like these are actually $300 cans forget these bad boys were $900-1000+ a few years ago before the Radiance and Celestee arrived. These cans are damn good...and many people years ago wanted to EQ them to death, but im finding out that if you got a good system these cans are amazing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back