Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Jun 2, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #4,441 of 4,854
So I just received a set of the solid sheepskin pads from voarmaks (available on ebay ,Amazon AliExpress). And the pads feel pretty good in quality and are very comfortable. The sound is pretty close to the oem suede pads but with a slight bump in the bass and sub bass. The mids and soundstage are about the same as stock which is good in my opinion. And the highs seem to have tamed a bit but the detail still remains. I would recommend these for the elegia or any of the closed back focal.

Attachments

• PXL_20230602_194057212.jpg
    PXL_20230602_194057212.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230602_194105435.jpg
    PXL_20230602_194105435.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Jun 2, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #4,443 of 4,854
Does anyone find the elegia is kinda picky with amps? I feel like the elegia sounds much better on the BTR5 than the A90

Jun 3, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #4,444 of 4,854
I just got those yesterday as well! They are outstanding! These ones, according to Voarmaks have a fenestrated area and a separate suede or fabric section to avoid some of the frequencies bouncing back.
Thanks for sharing ......
These are different from the ones I've seen, out of stock on Amazon though. : (

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #4,447 of 4,854
Does anyone find the elegia is kinda picky with amps? I feel like the elegia sounds much better on the BTR5 than the A90
I don't find them that picky with amps, nor even the media you play through them, to be honest. Which I find a bit strange, actually, having good detail retrieval.

Jun 3, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #4,449 of 4,854
Just got these yesterday and I love them, I did have to do some EQ to get them to my liking and they don't sound amazing with all music but they are incredible for live performances... I love the Grateful Dead and probably listen to a few shows a week and these excel in that regard probably better than any other headphones I have ever listened to! $300 very well spent IMO! Also the staging and imaging for a closed back on these is insane.

Jun 3, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #4,450 of 4,854
Just got these yesterday and I love them, I did have to do some EQ to get them to my liking and they don't sound amazing with all music but they are incredible for live performances... I love the Grateful Dead and probably listen to a few shows a week and these excel in that regard probably better than any other headphones I have ever listened to! $300 very well spent IMO! Also the staging and imaging for a closed back on these is insane.
Congrats on your new shiny! :)

I am glad you find them to your liking, and you are absolutely right, the staging on these (especially for a set of closed backs) is amazing. IME I can say without a doubt that in this regard, they are better than some open backs I have heard.. :)

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #4,451 of 4,854
Just ordered the Elegia brand new for $299 from Adorama via this Link
If you go straight to Adorama and search for the Elegia it’s $399, so save yourself $100 by using the link!

I also have a question. My only other headphone/Earphone is the Shure SE846 and I love them via the Thrish mod. Will I be disappointed with the Elegia since I love the sound signature of the SE-846?
Thanks for the link, saving me $100. I had an issue filling in my address (town, zip code popped up as an undeliverable address. Unique to my area.). Got frustrated and opened the current Adorama website to find them listed for $399. Went back to your link, straightened out my address issue, and completed the order for $299. Well done!

Jun 3, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #4,452 of 4,854
Your brain may need to be "burned-in" to the Elegia's sound. Try to listen to the Elegia continuously for a week before switching back to the Shure, then report back to the thread what your opinion is at that time. Cheers!
FYI, the Focal Elegia sales page includes this:
RUNNING-IN PERIOD

• These headphones require a running-in period in order to operate at their best.
  • They will run themselves in naturally after several hours of listening time.
  • If you want to speed up the process, we recommend playing very bassy music through them for at least 24 hours at a relatively high volume.
  • This will stabilise the speaker drivers and allow you to get the very best out of your headphones.

Jun 4, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #4,453 of 4,854
Thanks for the link, saving me $100. I had an issue filling in my address (town, zip code popped up as an undeliverable address. Unique to my area.). Got frustrated and opened the current Adorama website to find them listed for $399. Went back to your link, straightened out my address issue, and completed the order for $299. Well done!
You’re welcome and that’s awesome! It’s insane that they are the same price as the ridiculously expensive Focal cheapest headphone stand 😂
Focal Headphone stand

Jun 4, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #4,454 of 4,854
Congrats on your new shiny! :)

So have you listened to them (in comparison) with the cover off? Does it make it more like open backs? Obviously it would mess up the tuning if it does, but I am curious. I never thought about looking underneath that cover.... hahaha
Now you got me thinking about something 🤔So there’s a piece of foam in that triangle shape back side of the Elegia. I wonder how they will sound if that piece of foam is removed essentially making them a lot more open if that is done lol! The tuning will probably be off like you said but doesn’t seem that difficult. Also I have a question, if you purchase a used “for parts” Focal Clear on eBay and transfer the drivers assembly of the Elegia, to the Clear, will it sound like the Clear or are the drivers of the Elegia physically tuned differently?
IMG_9961.png

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #4,455 of 4,854
Now you got me thinking about something 🤔So there’s a piece of foam in that triangle shape back side of the Elegia. I wonder how they will sound if that piece of foam is removed essentially making them a lot more open if that is done lol! The tuning will probably be off like you said but doesn’t seem that difficult. Also I have a question, if you purchase a used “for parts” Focal Clear on eBay and transfer the drivers assembly of the Elegia, to the Clear, will it sound like the Clear or are the drivers of the Elegia physically tuned differently?IMG_9961.png
This is not 100% with any surety, but I think that the driver is the same as the OG Clear, and you could (in theory) use it as such.

Let us know your thoughts on that if you do decided to remove the foam on them?! You have me curious about that. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back