Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Oct 27, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #4,081 of 4,876
So I recently sold my Stellia to free up funds (necessary after purchasing the VC) but decided to repurchase the Elegia. I bloody love this headphone. To be honest it gives me a fair bit of what the Stellia provided - rich and super revealing midrange, the trademark Focal dynamic punch, really easy to drive. What I have come to appreciate now is its unique sound signature - seen as wonky by some and definitely not for everyone. But I just love the mid range on these, how they manage to be both relaxing and punchy, the bass detail and how spacious they sound for a closed back. As others have said this is a great value purchase at the current prices!
May I ask your experience with VC? I am surpurised that you after VC you still find buying Elegia necessary especially when you mentioned the Mids, I thought VC's Mids is much better (I only demoed VO, but never own any Focal set).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #4,082 of 4,876
May I ask your experience with VC? I am surpurised that you after VC you still find buying Elegia necessary especially when you mentioned the Mids, I thought VC's Mids is much better (I only demoed VO, but never own any Focal set).
You may - I get where you're coming from. After a tricky period getting used to VC's sound signature (coming from the Stellia I initially found it a bit veiled), I now adore them - it's a lush-but-detailed, extremely involving sound that you can get lost in for hours on end, with probably the best bass I've ever heard. The soundstage and images are also huge. Reason for wanting the Elegia is I use the VC as my main at-home pair of cans in a desktop setting, but still wanted a more portable closed back pair for taking away / on the move / on my balcony... plus the Focal presentation is very different to the VC (including the midrange - both are great and very lifelike but the VC is warmer and I think less upper mid energy).

Oct 27, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #4,083 of 4,876
You may - I get where you're coming from. After a tricky period getting used to VC's sound signature (coming from the Stellia I initially found it a bit veiled), I now adore them - it's a lush-but-detailed, extremely involving sound that you can get lost in for hours on end, with probably the best bass I've ever heard. The soundstage and images are also huge. Reason for wanting the Elegia is I use the VC as my main at-home pair of cans in a desktop setting, but still wanted a more portable closed back pair for taking away / on the move / on my balcony... plus the Focal presentation is very different to the VC (including the midrange - both are great and very lifelike but the VC is warmer and I think less upper mid energy).
Thanks for the detailed reply and that confirm my decision to buy VC during black friday. I never take full size headphone outside my home and I will use IEMs for that use case.

Oct 27, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #4,084 of 4,876
Thanks for the detailed reply and that confirm my decision to buy VC during black friday. I never take full size headphone outside my home and I will use IEMs for that use case.
Very solid choice! Just be aware the rumours about the required burn in period with the VCs appear to be justified - might require some patience.

Nov 10, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #4,085 of 4,876
I just got today a Focal Elegia barely used with 310 euro. So happy with my choice so far. I am currently driving it with the stock black and white cable with my qudelix 5k. Do you recommend any dac/amp around 150-200 euro for it? I will also get Meze balanced cable for 30 euro in the upcoming days. Thanks!

Nov 10, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #4,086 of 4,876
I just got today a Focal Elegia barely used with 310 euro. So happy with my choice so far. I am currently driving it with the stock black and white cable with my qudelix 5k. Do you recommend any dac/amp around 150-200 euro for it? I will also get Meze balanced cable for 30 euro in the upcoming days. Thanks!
The Elegia is easy to drive. You don't need the extra power, but feel free if you want to try to elicit more dynamics.

Nov 10, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #4,087 of 4,876
Get a balanced 2.5mm cable (I purchased a Meze 99 Neo), and run your Quedelix at high power (or whatever they call it). No need for more horsepower in my estimation. Keeps the Elegia more portable, as well.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #4,088 of 4,876
Get a Luxury & Precision W2 or a Cayin RU-6 with a 4.4 balanced cable. I use it with my W2, but I personally find the sound to be the best out of my Sony ZX-507 DAP on balanced.

Also try the Oratory AutoEQ setting for the Elegia on the 5k to see if you like that tuning

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #4,090 of 4,876
Thanks for sharing this. I also have Elegia and VC and love both. VC at home and Elegia at work, often amazed by how good the Elegia sounds. Initially I didn’t like the Elegia because of the upper mids dip. But once I learned to appreciate its soundstage and imaging, I totally adore it. And strangely the dip doesn’t bother me as much anymore.

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #4,093 of 4,876
Thanks for sharing this. I also have Elegia and VC and love both. VC at home and Elegia at work, often amazed by how good the Elegia sounds. Initially I didn’t like the Elegia because of the upper mids dip. But once I learned to appreciate its soundstage and imaging, I totally adore it. And strangely the dip doesn’t bother me as much anymore.
Fully agree. They’re such a special and unique headphone! Not for everyone, mind…

Nov 16, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #4,094 of 4,876
I was happy to see a box from Adorama on my porch today. I've wanted a pair of closed-back headphones for when my wife is watching tv or listening to music in addition to having a backup should my Elears die. The price of an open-box pair was too good to pass up. I'm very pleased with them so far, and can't wait to get a couple of hundred hours on them. I have a Bifrost 2/64 and a Valhalla 2 with RFT ECC81 tubes and they sound very good right now. Just a side note but the Valhalla drives them effortlessly.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #4,095 of 4,876
I've had a set of Elegia for a week now and honestly torn, out the box it's very beautiful and comfortable but sounded so forward in some frequencies it came across harsh and at times veiled in a way I couldn't put my finger on. The sound has grown on me a lot though - spacious, airy and detailed. If the music allows some volume the bass is very enjoyable, I don't think it's a headphone for blasting though. It can sound warm and smooth, then with other music I find it harsh and bright at the same volume and needs dropping a few notches, I think a lot of bright headphones can be like this though.

I picked the Elegia up as wanted a closed Elex to travel with and sonically I think it fulfils that but practically it doesn't. I think it leaks too much high frequencies to be used sitting close to other people, like on an airplane, in bed etc. I feel it's a good closed back to listen at home or an office at a distance from other people.

I already love it quite a bit and know it'll be missed, I just don't currently need it at home and will use the DT770 and Xelento for travelling, which can be listened to at a higher volume relative to leakage. I still wonder if I should hold onto it for the future though, as such an airy detailed closed back could be a good option to have around.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back