Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Sep 25, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #4,051 of 4,854
I owned a stellia for a long time and just couldn't get past the metallic timbre in the upper freq. If I never warmed up to the Stellia, is it safe to assume that will be the case for the eligias? Or is it tonally different?
I have not heard the Stelia, but I have seen some on here comment that they (the Elegia) have a bit of that timbre to them (though I have not heard it on them myself). So, YMMV. :wink:

Sep 27, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #4,052 of 4,854
I owned a stellia for a long time and just couldn't get past the metallic timbre in the upper freq. If I never warmed up to the Stellia, is it safe to assume that will be the case for the eligias? Or is it tonally different?
Hi, my first reaction would be to ask you if burn-in was sufficient, nevertheless I do not know Stellia so I may have the wrong judgement.

For sure Elegia requires a lot of hours before performing as it should. Now that mine has stabilized performances I hear no clue of harshness or metallic timbre.
I use a Violectric V280 amp with old fashioned CD players and it sounds very good.
Tried with my humble Motorola mobile phone and it sounds good, a bit too soft so to say and the phone does not have enough power to drive despite the sound quality is rather surprising.
Nevertheless I have to admit that during the firs days/weeks with the Elegia I was disappointed at how it sounded fresh out from the box. Reading this thread I learned form others' experience that I needed to be patient and I did.
Now I am only using Elegia and SASH Tres as my main headphones. Using the Stellia pads on the Elegia helps for sure as like as a good cable (you don't need to spend a fortune for a good cable but a good one will make a difference).

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #4,053 of 4,854
I'm ready to be pelted with rocks and garbage, but here's my objection to the Elegia -- even at $350 -- besides the wonky tuning and metallic timbre: I understand some headphones need a bit of tweaking, but I can't think of another headphone that requires so many aftermarket changes to sound "good" to most people.

I think about one-tenth of the people who like Elegias in this thread enjoy them stock. Everyone else says you need to add pad X and cable Y, run them from amp Z and then burn them in for 100 hours.

I owned the Elegia for six months. I pad-swapped. I tried a different cable. The tuning was still wonky and metallic to me, especially with my preferred genres of rock and alt-country. And I often wondered, "Why am I going to all this trouble to put Band-Aids on a headphone with flawed tuning?" So, I sold them.

Go ahead: Place me in the pillory in the public square. Let the stoning or tar and feathering commence. :)

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #4,054 of 4,854
I'm ready to be pelted with rocks and garbage, but here's my objection to the Elegia -- even at $350 -- besides the wonky tuning and metallic timbre: I understand some headphones need a bit of tweaking, but I can't think of another headphone that requires so many aftermarket changes to sound "good" to most people.

I think about one-tenth of the people who like Elegias in this thread enjoy them stock. Everyone else says you need to add pad X and cable Y, run them from amp Z and then burn them in for 100 hours.

I owned the Elegia for six months. I pad-swapped. I tried a different cable. The tuning was still wonky and metallic to me, especially with my preferred genres of rock and alt-country. And I often wondered, "Why am I going to all this trouble to put Band-Aids on a headphone with flawed tuning?" So, I sold them.

Go ahead: Place me in the pillory in the public square. Let the stoning or tar and feathering commence. :)
Lol. Good thing is my expectation is low. I just couldn't pass up the Adorama deal 😅😀. Guess i'll find out in a few days.

Sep 27, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #4,055 of 4,854
Hi, my first reaction would be to ask you if burn-in was sufficient, nevertheless I do not know Stellia so I may have the wrong judgement.

For sure Elegia requires a lot of hours before performing as it should. Now that mine has stabilized performances I hear no clue of harshness or metallic timbre.
I use a Violectric V280 amp with old fashioned CD players and it sounds very good.
Tried with my humble Motorola mobile phone and it sounds good, a bit too soft so to say and the phone does not have enough power to drive despite the sound quality is rather surprising.
Nevertheless I have to admit that during the firs days/weeks with the Elegia I was disappointed at how it sounded fresh out from the box. Reading this thread I learned form others' experience that I needed to be patient and I did.
Now I am only using Elegia and SASH Tres as my main headphones. Using the Stellia pads on the Elegia helps for sure as like as a good cable (you don't need to spend a fortune for a good cable but a good one will make a difference).
Thanks. I'm not a burn in kinda guy, but i had the Stellia for over a year so i'm sure that wasn't the issue. If I don't like the sound of the Elegia ootb, i'll play around with different pads.

Sep 27, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #4,056 of 4,854
Thanks. I'm not a burn in kinda guy, but i had the Stellia for over a year so i'm sure that wasn't the issue. If I don't like the sound of the Elegia ootb, i'll play around with different pads.
The driver is a mechanical device. The rubber surround and diaphragm flexes and settles down into its permanent elasticity after about 100 hours in my experience.

My experience with Dekoni:
  • Sheepskin pads make the Elegia sound like the Radiance, i.e. more bass. I am using these most these days.
  • Fenestrated sheepskin pads are an improvement all around over the stock pads. Comfortable and neutral.
I wouldn't expect the Elegia to sound as good as a well used Stellia, but I see many owners saying that the Dekoni Custom (i.e. Stellia) pads are the best on the Elegias.

Being retired, and listening mostly in my den, I am now favouring open back phones; looking for a deal on the Clears.

Anyone got an opinion on Clears vs. Grado SR325is?

Sep 27, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #4,058 of 4,854
Convert Elegias to Open?

Anyone heard of modding the Elegia to open (i.e. to try to make them into Clears)?

Sep 28, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #4,059 of 4,854
Sure, one year is more than enough :) and your ears are always the Supreme Judge

Sep 28, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #4,060 of 4,854
I'm on the hunt for a new pair of headphones and I'm considering the Focal Elegia or Denon D5200, but it's so hard to decide
Since when the decision to buy a new headphone it's a hard decision...? :ksc75smile: ...look at the head-fi station thread.....
If you can afford it help the economy and unleash your credit card...
Look from a different perspective, buy both...and open a thread with comparison, the community will thank you, I am sure :gs1000smile:

Sep 28, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #4,061 of 4,854
I'm on the hunt for a new pair of headphones and I'm considering the Focal Elegia or Denon D5200, but it's so hard to decide
Have you tried the D5200? Out of all the HPs I've owned, D5200 was one of my least favorite, and i've owned many. It was all around meh and had this weird hollow sound. And the weirdly shaped (too flat) headband was super uncomfortable. Of course I haven't heard the Elegias yet as I am still waiting for mine to arrive, but I would almost take anything over the D5200. Of course YMMV 😁

Sep 28, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #4,062 of 4,854
Convert Elegias to Open?

Anyone heard of modding the Elegia to open (i.e. to try to make them into Clears)?
In my opinion, this is a recipe for disaster. So much care went into the dampening inside the Elegia earcups, it is often compared to miniature room treatment. Converting it to open back would literally remove these headphones greatest feature

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #4,063 of 4,854

If money is no concern, I'd go for the Elegia. I have both and while I really like the D5200, the Elegia is just better.

Because I'm lazy, I have 3,5mm cable on the D5200 and 2,5mm balanced on the Elegia. So the Elegia gets used with DAPs that have 2,5mm balanced , the D5200 with everything else. The very positive thing is that the cables are interchangeable between the two

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #4,064 of 4,854
Convert Elegias to Open?

In my opinion, this is a recipe for disaster. So much care went into the dampening inside the Elegia earcups, it is often compared to miniature room treatment. Converting it to open back would literally remove these headphones greatest feature
Ditto.

As per....
https://www.focal.com/sites/www.focal.fr/files/shared/catalog/document/stellia-elegia_whitepaper.pdf
"A speaker driver operating in a limited inner volume environment must first and foremost have low compliance. Indeed, the surround on this type of transducer must permit excellent control of the moving part and thereby induce less elongation. The surround plays a dual role.The first is to provide the largest elongation possible, which lies at the root of the ability to reproduce the dynamic range of the original audio signal. At the same time, it is also designed to control the travel of the moving part to ensure a piston action from its lowest to its highest amplitude. Focal, therefore, decided to choose a dedicated surround, constructed in the same way as the Elear, Clear and Utopia speaker drivers. The material used is the same, but the thickness of the Stellia & Elegia transducer has changed to 110 microns. The geometry of this new half-roll NBR surround was the subject of an extremely detailed study into how to gain optimum control of the moving part, even at the lowestfrequencies and loudest volumes."

Sep 29, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #4,065 of 4,854
On another note, I don't recall ATM who recommended this for the Elegia on here (TY BTW), but I bought one of these for my Marshall Monitor headphones (stupid protein leather, it's only been 9 years :)). I also got new pads for it (though I couldn't find real leather for them). My point is that this was a kind of "trial" run, and I have to say I am really impressed, and will be getting another one for the Elegia.

20220929_112502.jpg

20220929_112520 (2).jpg

20220929_112538.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back