Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Aug 27, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #2,222 of 4,840
Isn't open-back generally superior in sound?
Generally speaking, open-back headphones do certain things better than closed-backs; they happen to be things the audiophile community consider as paramount factors when considering the worthiness of a particular product - a natural sound, wider stage, better resolution. I don't disagree, actually. Nevertheless, I prefer closed-back headphones because I love an intimate sound coupled with the stronger bass response that you typically enjoy with closed cans. Ultimately, it's pretty much a hobby of subjective preferences. :)

Aug 27, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #2,223 of 4,840
Why not? I'm still buying pairs of Sony Ericsson MH1 from 2012 because I love them so much and haven't found anything remotely as good for a price even remotely in the same ballpark.
This hobby is subjective and if you love something...
From financial perspective it doesn't make sense, and if you are asking it's most likely due to financial reason.
Other than that, I see there's storage issue, then again given that headphone is quite small, so I ruled that out.

It seems like you have specific anecdote case; however, in more general case this headphone breaks (hopefully in 5-10 yrs) there are better head phone out there for you to buy with the same amount of money.
Especially given the fact that Elegia is not even the top of line Focal headphone.

IEM has been dominated by Chi-Fi at sub $200 range. It's kinda hard to believe you can't find a pair that beats it.
But you are right, it's a subjective thing.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #2,224 of 4,840
Small update after more time with the Elegia. All the glaring issues present when I first received them have disappeared. I really enjoy these closed backs especially since they were only 400. Every once in a while I get a little treble peak on a cymbal crash but all in all very enjoyable. I think a little more bass would be nice, but that's just because I tend to listen to a fair amount of EDM. So I think I'll look into some sheepskin pads or possibly the hybrids.

I'm definitely selling my dt770 now since they'll just sit on the shelf otherwise. It'll be kinda sad, they were my first real headphone and started a little obsession lol

Aug 27, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #2,225 of 4,840
Small update after more time with the Elegia. All the glaring issues present when I first received them have disappeared. I really enjoy these closed backs especially since they were only 400. Every once in a while I get a little treble peak on a cymbal crash but all in all very enjoyable. I think a little more bass would be nice, but that's just because I tend to listen to a fair amount of EDM. So I think I'll look into some sheepskin pads or possibly the hybrids.

I'm definitely selling my dt770 now since they'll just sit on the shelf otherwise. It'll be kinda sad, they were my first real headphone and started a little obsession lol
Are you running it with Bottlehead? Yet still lack bass?

Aug 27, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #2,226 of 4,840
Are you running it with Bottlehead? Yet still lack bass?
No, the crack isnt really suited to low impedance cans since it's OTL. I've been using my modi 3/magni 3 combo with the Elegia. It's not lacking in bass don't get me wrong, it's quite nice actually. Id just like the ability to do a pad swap when I'm in the mood

Aug 27, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #2,227 of 4,840
No, the crack isnt really suited to low impedance cans since it's OTL. I've been using my modi 3/magni 3 combo with the Elegia. It's not lacking in bass don't get me wrong, it's quite nice actually. Id just like the ability to do a pad swap when I'm in the mood
I was just wondering if you r running it with an 120ohm output impedance amp, which should technically increase the bass by 6db.
Have you tried it though. Maybe you would like it. I'm running it with DX7 pro, which has about 13ohm output impedance, bass still tight.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #2,228 of 4,840
I was just wondering if you r running it with an 120ohm output impedance amp, which should technically increase the bass by 6db.
Have you tried it though. Maybe you would like it. I'm running it with DX7 pro, which has about 13ohm output impedance, bass still tight.

I tried mine with my Emotiva A-100, which has a 220-ohm output impedance without the jumpers in. It sounds okayish but really muddies things up; I much prefer the Elegia with my 789. The Emotiva is, however, a great pairing with my DT1990s.

Aug 27, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #2,229 of 4,840
I tried mine with my Emotiva A-100, which has a 220-ohm output impedance without the jumpers in. It sounds okayish but really muddies things up; I much prefer the Elegia with my 789. The Emotiva is, however, a great pairing with my DT1990s.
I get that when I play my Elegia on tubes. The Elegia's are already a mid-centric headphones and playing them on tubes seems to murk up the midrange. Playing them on solid state gear keeps everything clean and dynamic.

Aug 27, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #2,230 of 4,840
As others have pointed out this can be an apple to oranges comparison because of the difference in nature, technology and even price. But my view is these are still 2 headphones made to listen music with intent, so functionally comparable to me 😉

All of the above with the usual IMHO, IME, and YMMV disclaimers of course

Thanks for the response. I'm kind of weary on both of these headphones due to lack of bass and possible build quality issues.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #2,231 of 4,840
Def get the Dekoni sheepskin. These pads take these cans to next level IMO.

Aug 28, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #2,233 of 4,840
Thanks for the response. I'm kind of weary on both of these headphones due to lack of bass and possible build quality issues.
If you like your bass somewhat north of "neutral" or more harman target like, the Elegia with dekoni sheepskin will give you that, the Sundara won't.
Neither is bass head territory of course

Aug 28, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #2,234 of 4,840
Disappointing to hear or the hand band issue and of how Focal responded...I would certainly be pushing back on that! I've not really heard of this happening before though? They've been my daily driver while I'm working from home and have shown no issues but I'll be a bit more weary now.

On the back of my love for these headphones, I've actually just purchased the Focal Shape 50 studio monitors!

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #2,235 of 4,840
That sounds like a crap situation and an answer not fitting for this price point and brand.
They should at least offer a headband swap, what do they mean "not reparable"?
Quite disappointing, hope they step up their game and address this, because if this kind of reports multiply, apart from the harm done to their customers, that could also harm their build quality perception and overall reputation.

It takes time to build a good reputation, and an handfull of posts on the internet to destroy it...
I did not get a better explanation than what was shared, sadly. I have had Focal NA reach out to me as I am also active on other forums (not sure I am allowed to post where), so I really hope I just got shafted in terms of who was assigned to take care of me first time. I understand that things can sometimes go wrong, so the initial reply was baffling to say the least. I will make sure to update the original post and thread if things are resolved.

As a long-time fan of Focal's studio monitors and home speakers, this was not what I expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back