Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Aug 25, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #2,191 of 4,866
Anyone else think Elegia suck with 80s rock genre (Michael Jackson, Springsteen, ELO, The Cars, etc) and why is that?

Nope. I am enjoying them immensely with pop of that genre.

However, my understanding is that the period in time was early in the digital years, and much of the music sounds overprocessed and flat. Ie, traits that don't play to the elegia's strengths.

Well produced 80s certainly sounds great, but some of the more sparsely produced 90 alt rock REALLY sounds good!

See, e.g, Sisters of Mercy's Dominion, with the juxtaposition of the beginning of the song's exquisite midrange textures and driving bass. Then try Stone Temple Pilot's Creep...

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #2,192 of 4,866
Can someone compare the Focal Elegia WITH Sheepskin Pads against the Focal Clear? Or better: Focal Elegia + Sheepskin Pads VS Focal Clear + Sheepskin Pads. I know its quite specific, I hope someone did this and can help me. Im looking to upgrade my Elegia

Aug 26, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #2,193 of 4,866
Oh yeah I wasn't knocking the headphones off for those who appreciate what they do and their positive points. I was just coming up with possible reasons why one camp could label them as 'natural' sounding, while the other side labels them as 'weird' sounding. It comes down to relative reference points.

I'm really inclined to grab one even if a good number of anecdotes indicate they're not close to the Clear tuning, but have their own merits, especially when EQ'd.
Hey, no worries, my friend. I was just providing a different angle, based on my own history with closed-back headphones.

I have heard the opinions of the 2 differing camps, and I'm thankful that I'm firmly planted in the agreeable side of things. It just goes to show that, at the end of the day, this hobby is an entirely subjective affair.

Aug 26, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #2,194 of 4,866
Hi guys, been reading this thread quite abit after learning of the adorama deal, but not too sure whether to pull the trigger

From the many reviews, it seems to be a mid-forward pair of headphones. Anyone can provide a short summary of how it compares to the HD600? I have the HD600, and don't wanna waste money if the Elegia is not even a slight upgrade to the HD600.

Aug 26, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #2,195 of 4,866
Hi guys, been reading this thread quite abit after learning of the adorama deal, but not too sure whether to pull the trigger

From the many reviews, it seems to be a mid-forward pair of headphones. Anyone can provide a short summary of how it compares to the HD600? I have the HD600, and don't wanna waste money if the Elegia is not even a slight upgrade to the HD600.
Apples and hand grenades, my friend. The Elegia will reveal things in recordings that the Sennys don't even know exists. They are nowhere near as laid-back but, as I said, are a very VERY different set of headphones.

Aug 26, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #2,196 of 4,866
received my Adorama deal set yesterday, initial audio impressions weren't all that great honestly. The definitely had some sharpness and I felt the bass wasn't even remotely there. I let them break in overnight and can definitely notice a big change. I can finally but some volume to them without cringing and instantly turning them down. I think more burn in time is in order since it looks like my computer stopped playing at some point after walking away for the night. The packaging, finish, and case are very nice imo though

Side note, this cable is beyond useless... what a piece of junk.. stiff, short, microphonic, and did I mention short?

Aug 26, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #2,197 of 4,866
received my Adorama deal set yesterday, initial audio impressions weren't all that great honestly. The definitely had some sharpness and I felt the bass wasn't even remotely there. I let them break in overnight and can definitely notice a big change. I can finally but some volume to them without cringing and instantly turning them down. I think more burn in time is in order since it looks like my computer stopped playing at some point after walking away for the night. The packaging, finish, and case are very nice imo though

Side note, this cable is beyond useless... what a piece of junk.. stiff, short, microphonic, and did I mention short?
Yeah the cable is a joke. I've had some useless cables - the TH-X00 non-removable one could be used for mountain climbing, and an old Sextett one was like the world's crappiest super-long rubber tube - but at least this one is removable, and I have cables from other headphones that work great for these.

Aug 26, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #2,200 of 4,866
Nope. I am enjoying them immensely with pop of that genre.

However, my understanding is that the period in time was early in the digital years, and much of the music sounds overprocessed and flat. Ie, traits that don't play to the elegia's strengths.

Well produced 80s certainly sounds great, but some of the more sparsely produced 90 alt rock REALLY sounds good!

See, e.g, Sisters of Mercy's Dominion, with the juxtaposition of the beginning of the song's exquisite midrange textures and driving bass. Then try Stone Temple Pilot's Creep...
That's weird, Pop, R&B, Jazz, classical sounds great with Elegia. I think it beats HE4XX on everything except for 80s rock.

Aug 26, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #2,202 of 4,866
Elegia are still
Far from that. For me Sundara > Elegia > 4XX for most genres, and certainly for 80

I recently had a chance to demo the Sundara. While I did not compare them directly to the Elegia, I could see that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back