Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Sep 4, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #2,251 of 4,866
Just went to demo them with my mind wanting to like them given the price drop, but not sure if I was driving it on my Dx160 instead of sth proper, or I was listening to the polaris v2 (bit of a bass monster imo) commuting there, the bass contrast was quite apparent, feels like it's lacking quite a bit. Detail and clarity of mid range especially vocals were definitely the highlights here. Comfort and isolation also excellent, I can totally see myself using it commuting on a train or bus. For 400 usd I'm gonna take the plunge hopefully eq will help with the bass. Anyone has any recommendations on eq software for mac? Something similar to equaliser apo

Sep 4, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #2,252 of 4,866
So how would you compare this to the Clear you previously owned. From your first impressions, I see "sibilance", "no sub bass" and "less open", doesnt sound like you have too many good things to say about the Elegia apart from its a good discount from MSRP? I have seen somewhere people described the Elegia as a brighter sounding Eikon and man I really like the Eikons but I think its a bit bulky and heavy for my liking not even accounting for its a third of the price currently...

I know this question was not directed towards me but I also sold my Clears and kept my Elegias and Elex. The treble on the Clear really bothered me, it felt almost forced or artificial. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but I did not enjoy my music of any genre on the Clears; they forced me to listen critically when I wanted to just enjoy my music. I realize that I am in the minority on this but I just thought I'd share my quick thoughts.

Sep 4, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #2,253 of 4,866
For 400 usd I'm gonna take the plunge hopefully eq will help with the bass. Anyone has any recommendations on eq software for mac? Something similar to equaliser apo

If you can order the Dekoni sheepskin pads from a place with a good return policy, worth trying them out. It really does change the character of the bass. IMO, going from a bit bass light to a little extra bass emphasis. https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...skin-earpad-set-for-focal-elear-clear-utopia/

Sep 4, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #2,255 of 4,866
Sep 5, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #2,258 of 4,866
Sep 5, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #2,259 of 4,866
Well, since you don't follow this thread, then know that you need to buy the Elegia at that price if you don't have a pair already. :darthsmile:
Lol I saw that price a few days ago and was tempted, but 1. Have a kid on the way so really trying to dial back the impulse buying and 2. Not looking into a close back.

Sep 5, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #2,260 of 4,866
Lol I saw that price a few days ago and was tempted, but 1. Have a kid on the way so really trying to dial back the impulse buying and 2. Not looking into a close back.

I recently got my Elegia from Adorama and I'm very happy that I didn't resist the temptation.

Sep 5, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #2,261 of 4,866
I recently got my Elegia from Adorama and I'm very happy that I didn't resist the temptation.

Same... the sound that these produce from just about any source is incredible for the price (and just in general). And this is with only about 100 hours on them. The reports of these lacking bass are perplexing.

Sep 6, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #2,262 of 4,866
I know there are a lot of pages and looks like a few people have jumped on the deals so just posting again to say 1. These NEED a good break-in before you make any conclusions on sound. Everything gets better on these, bass, sub-bass and less sibilent treble. They are that much better after 15-20hrs. 2. If you want more bass without sacrificing much of anything else grab the Dekoni Sheepskin (not the fenestrated), these are a must have IMO. I haven't gone back to stock after these, just so much fun. 3. The stock cable sounds good but is too short, too stiff and too microphonic. Get rid when you can.

Enjoy!

Sep 6, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #2,264 of 4,866
Yes, I read similar reports and I don't hear any lacking bass at all. If anything, I think the Elegia has very good and juicy bass.

There are two ways to look at bass. Low frequency extension and emphasis at different frequencies. The Elegia have good bass extension.

As Harmon Target response research has shown us, we don't all prefer the same amount of bass emphasis relative to others frequencies. So it should be pretty easy to understand how others would perceive these as bass light.

Note that the Elear have more bass emphasis.

Sep 6, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #2,265 of 4,866
Yes, I read similar reports and I don't hear any lacking bass at all. If anything, I think the Elegia has very good and juicy bass.

Maybe certain people have different expectations for bass? I'm still torn on whether or not I want to try these. I just ordered the Fidelio X3 but I keep coming back to this headphone and the Sivga Phoenix for a more exciting alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back