Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Sep 10, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #2,281 of 4,890
Good to know. I have been running them with various white and pink noise for 24hrs while listening to them in between. I'll give them more time and see how they tighten up and clean up the congested muddy sound.

I was running them with xbass to see if it filled it the bass but I guess to your point I felt it did muddy up the mids even further so I've kept it off.

I'm also running them with the Meze silver cables which should sound cleaner than the stock so hopefully, it's just a matter of time to let them burn-in.

Sep 10, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #2,282 of 4,890
Just got these today... And yeah, compared with the (used) Denon AH-D7200 I picked up at the same time, the treble is just painful. I'll run them over night for a couple days and see if it improves, but if not there will be a mint pair in the fs/ft forum soon. Ouch.

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #2,283 of 4,890
Got a pair today as well. There are some songs that were initially slightly painful, but it must be the mids because I used Peace to EQ to the settings shown in The Headphone Show video on Youtube and it improved everything significantly, and he's actually boosting the trebles a bit. With that EQ and a cable that's less annoying I'm quite happy!

Sep 11, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #2,284 of 4,890
Still waiting for mine to come. But when I demoed them I didn't find the treble being an issue, at least compared to my dt990s whihh were definitely problematic at times for me.

Any thoughts on what portable dacamp would go well with the elegias? Especially sth that would help to fill the bass a bit with a bass boost function. I'm currently looking at the hip dac, q5s or xd 05 plus. I'm leaning towards the xd05 plus cos of the power output and the op amp rolling capability.

Sep 11, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #2,285 of 4,890
There are two ways to look at bass. Low frequency extension and emphasis at different frequencies. The Elegia have good bass extension.

As Harmon Target response research has shown us, we don't all prefer the same amount of bass emphasis relative to others frequencies. So it should be pretty easy to understand how others would perceive these as bass light.

Note that the Elear have more bass emphasis.
I thought based on the frequency graph, the level of bass ranking should be Elegia > Clear > Elex > Elear

Sep 11, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #2,286 of 4,890
Got a pair today as well. There are some songs that were initially slightly painful, but it must be the mids because I used Peace to EQ to the settings shown in The Headphone Show video on Youtube and it improved everything significantly, and he's actually boosting the trebles a bit. With that EQ and a cable that's less annoying I'm quite happy!
Yeah, I found his video too, and gave it a shot this morning. I didn't have much time to really listen but I thought it seemed better from some of the initial tracks. Since I'm on a mac I'm using Audirvana with an EQ plugin which I can tweak. I'm also going to try the Oratory1990 settings and see how that sounds, but from the last couple of posts it seems just straight up letting them burn-in will go much further so I hope that's the case and I don't need to worry about much EQing.

Sep 11, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #2,287 of 4,890
I'm also going to try the Oratory1990 settings and see how that sounds
If you use oratory's EQ setting, you'd be hearing the harman target curve (not sure which year he set it at, but probably the 2018 one if I were to guess).

but from the last couple of posts it seems just straight up letting them burn-in will go much further so I hope that's the case and I don't need to worry about much EQing.
I wouldn't bet the Elegia drivers will change in frequency response when you keep them playing. Better to say, your hearing perception will adjust to the Elegia's default sound signature than the actual drivers changing. That and pad compression + positioning of the cups will be a larger factor in hearing changes.

Give them a listen for a week straight and see if your hearing adjustment period makes you like them more. Given how polarizing these are in other forums, you might want to use EQ for them if you end up not liking it's stock tuning.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #2,289 of 4,890
For me given the dekoni pads are 25 pct of the cost if the headphones I'll wait till my stock pads gets worn out:robot:

Sep 11, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #2,292 of 4,890
If you use oratory's EQ setting, you'd be hearing the harman target curve (not sure which year he set it at, but probably the 2018 one if I were to guess).

I wouldn't bet the Elegia drivers will change in frequency response when you keep them playing. Better to say, your hearing perception will adjust to the Elegia's default sound signature than the actual drivers changing. That and pad compression + positioning of the cups will be a larger factor in hearing changes.

Give them a listen for a week straight and see if your hearing adjustment period makes you like them more. Given how polarizing these are in other forums, you might want to use EQ for them if you end up not liking it's stock tuning.
Good point. I'll give them a week of straight listening and see how my brain adjusts to them. I'm just hoping the congested slightly muddy sound opens up. From all the reviews and comments I've read these are supposed to sound pretty spacious and airy I thought.

Sep 11, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #2,293 of 4,890
Good point. I'll give them a week of straight listening and see how my brain adjusts to them. I'm just hoping the congested slightly muddy sound opens up. From all the reviews and comments I've read these are supposed to sound pretty spacious and airy I thought.

Definitely not congested sounding here. Treble emphasis, very airy for a closed back, just piercing. Mids are articulate, lows are balanced, present without bring overblown. If the highs weren't so screechy I'd really enjoy them.

It's a shame there isn't a Sonarworks profile for these.

Sep 11, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #2,294 of 4,890
I've had my pair for about 4 months now and I agree these need some time for you to adjust. Break in is pivotal for these! I initially thought these were bass light, harsh treble and too mid-forward but after some hours none of this is an issue now.
Ive got the Oratory EQ settings in APO loaded but I ended up going back to stock and just doing some slight bass adjustments when I feel I need it.
Also I have the Dekoni Sheepskin pads and they are 100% worth it. More bass without comprising much else...maybe smooths the mids out a bit.

Absolutely love these cans. I've got a 3m Skyaudio cable on the way too so I can use for more sources. I also plugged these into my controller for the PS4 and couldn't believe how fast and hard these hit for gaming. A really versatile headphone. So good!

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #2,295 of 4,890
Your hearing adjustment definitely changes as time goes by. In a similar way that your hearing gets accustomed to a room that has a loud AC, your auditory system gets accustomed to a sound signature as well, but not always for the better either.

From my own experience, the headphones I really keep are ones I tend to not like upon first listen. Usually it takes me 2 weeks to come to the conclusion of whether I actually like the sound signature in long term. The ones that usually blow me away upon first listen are the ones that I usually sell eventually - funny how that happens to me and I would think not many here have the same result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back