Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Aug 26, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #2,206 of 4,840
yes it's generally easier to get an open back right, which is why I'd love to know why people bother comparing headphones of different topologies... It's like apples to oranges, get one of each and understand the limitations of what you're using

Aug 26, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #2,207 of 4,840
yes it's generally easier to get an open back right, which is why I'd love to know why people bother comparing headphones of different topologies... It's like apples to oranges, get one of each and understand the limitations of what you're using

Yep!

Aug 26, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #2,209 of 4,840
So I'm thinking about buying a second pair of these while they're on sale, especially if they're at risk of being discontinued...am I crazy?
Spend the money on something different? Maybe a source component?

Aug 26, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #2,210 of 4,840
Yes the Sundara is sublime value in my opinion, but being able to even compare the Elegia which is closed back is a feat in itself!

What would you say the Sundara does better? Aside from the obvious like air and soundstage.

Aug 27, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #2,211 of 4,840
God the Elegia are fast! I was playing PS4 last night and had my Q701's plugged in (playing Rise of the Tomb Raider) and switched over to the Elegia. Whilst the soundstage wasn't quite as large, pretty much any action scene scared the crap out of me! Just super dynamic and hard hitting. Definitely going to be using these more for gaming!

On a side note, I've ordered a 3m pure copper from Skyaudio through the eBay store. Very good value! It's been a few days and haven't had any updates but will report back how it goes.

Aug 27, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #2,212 of 4,840
While working, I was very happy with the Elegia headphones to complement my home studio monitors and for late night listening. Sadly, the plastic frame of the headband broke a couple of weeks ago, making the headphones unusable.

For me, they have been my closed back headphone pick and they have never left the studio even if they are marketed as an exclusive headphone for portable use. They have never hit the floor or anything like that, so the break comes solely from taking the headphones on and off.

Yes, I use them almost daily which also explains why I wanted to go with a higher end headphone that hopefully would stand up over time - in particular as it is even marketed for portable use where any headphone will take more abuse. I have not, however, been taking them on and off constantly during use - only on and off when starting sessions where I either could not use my monitors or wanted to listen to things through headphones to check.

After reaching out to the place I purchased them, who in turn reached out to Focal in France, I sadly got this reply from Focal:
This is a problem related to incorrect use of the product. It cannot be repaired. It is not covered by the warranty.

Not covered by warranty is a bummer in itself, but the fact that they cannot be repaired is mindblowing. In easily 20 years of similar use of headphones, no model or brand has ever had this problem for me. There is absolutely zero other wear on the headphones. Oh, and yes - I did swap out the cable as the original cable is silly stiff and broke in less than a month. I have been happily running a Beardynamics stock cable instead which is much more pleasant to use.

So, in essence: However happy with the sound quality I have been, the Focal Elegia cannot be recommended for studio use or any other situation daily use situation. That would include for the purpose of portable use, as that is likely even more of taking the headphones on and off. I would be extremely cautious buying any other Focal headphones, unless they have a metal structure inside the headband instead of the plastic frame that the Elegia have.

In the pictures below, you can see me pointing at the break, as well as holding them upside down so you really see how floppy the headband (ofc) gets as a result.

Attachments

• 20200819_185905.jpg
    20200819_185905.jpg
    733.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200819_190035.jpg
    20200819_190035.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200819_190045.jpg
    20200819_190045.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Aug 27, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #2,213 of 4,840
While working, I was very happy with the Elegia headphones to complement my home studio monitors and for late night listening. Sadly, the plastic frame of the headband broke a couple of weeks ago, making the headphones unusable.

For me, they have been my closed back headphone pick and they have never left the studio even if they are marketed as an exclusive headphone for portable use. They have never hit the floor or anything like that, so the break comes solely from taking the headphones on and off.

Yes, I use them almost daily which also explains why I wanted to go with a higher end headphone that hopefully would stand up over time - in particular as it is even marketed for portable use where any headphone will take more abuse. I have not, however, been taking them on and off constantly during use - only on and off when starting sessions where I either could not use my monitors or wanted to listen to things through headphones to check.

After reaching out to the place I purchased them, who in turn reached out to Focal in France, I sadly got this reply from Focal:

Not covered by warranty is a bummer in itself, but the fact that they cannot be repaired is mindblowing. In easily 20 years of similar use of headphones, no model or brand has ever had this problem for me. There is absolutely zero other wear on the headphones. Oh, and yes - I did swap out the cable as the original cable is silly stiff and broke in less than a month. I have been happily running a Beardynamics stock cable instead which is much more pleasant to use.

So, in essence: However happy with the sound quality I have been, the Focal Elegia cannot be recommended for studio use or any other situation daily use situation. That would include for the purpose of portable use, as that is likely even more of taking the headphones on and off. I would be extremely cautious buying any other Focal headphones, unless they have a metal structure inside the headband instead of the plastic frame that the Elegia have.

In the pictures below, you can see me pointing at the break, as well as holding them upside down so you really see how floppy the headband (ofc) gets as a result.
Sorry to hear that happened, I was going to buy a pair of Focal's at some point, now I'll move on to another brand that stands by it's product and supports it.

I dropped Sony headphones for the same BS - not supporting breakage from poor plastics and badly designed components. The Sony's broke all over the place for me starting a few years ago, so I won't even consider their flagship plastic component headphones.

This is very disappointing @FocalOfficial. Please fix this support gap quickly - no one wants to get stuck with expensive headphones that can't be fixed.

Update 9/22/2020: Trasselkalle
"Final update: No more updates from the US rep either who thought he could get the matter in front of the right person. No replies received either from him the last couple of kindly phrased pings, so I am giving up on this matter now. The fact that a number of others have reported similar issues with other headphones from them in response to my reviews here and in one other forum, but none have received help, implies that we are back to the original statement:
Focal Elegia cannot be recommended for studio use or any other situation daily use situation. That would include for the purpose of portable use, as that is likely even more of taking the headphones on and off. I would be extremely cautious buying any other Focal headphones, unless they have a metal structure inside the headband instead of the plastic frame that the Elegia have.
Saturday at 1:33 PM"
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/focal-elegia.23447/reviews#item-review-24203

Here are the broken Elegia photos from Trasselkalle posting:
20200819_190045.jpg
20200819_190035.jpg
20200819_185905.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #2,214 of 4,840

I’ve read elsewhere this is a problem and that is Focals response to others. Seems they wont admit the design flaw in the headband, they should’ve used metal not plastic. The fact it’s not really user replaceable and the response deters me from bothering with getting a pair. I liked the Focal headphones I’ve heard and I always thought they felt incredibly premium and nice but I like to be able to fix my headphones.

Aug 27, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #2,215 of 4,840
I have currently have a HD6XX and am eyeing the Elegia to compliment the HD6xx. I need a closed back for work and sometimes need one at home. Currently I have the DT770, but they aren't wowing me. I am curious how does the sound signature of the Elegia compares to the HD6XX. Specifically I'm curious how the sound stage and detail compares? (I understand the Elegia is closed back and the HD6XX is open back). Is the Elegia worth it's extra cost?

Aug 27, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #2,216 of 4,840
I have currently have a HD6XX and am eyeing the Elegia to compliment the HD6xx. I need a closed back for work and sometimes need one at home. Currently I have the DT770, but they aren't wowing me. I am curious how does the sound signature of the Elegia compares to the HD6XX. Specifically I'm curious how the sound stage and detail compares? (I understand the Elegia is closed back and the HD6XX is open back). Is the Elegia worth it's extra cost?

I have the dt770 in 250ohm and the hd6xx, and I just got a set from Adorama. The Elegia blow away my 770 by quite a bit. The detail in them reminds me of my old dt1990. Although the bass is a bit heavier on the dt770, the bass accuracy is much better in the Elegia. Having said that, the 6xx and Elegia are nothing like one another imo. Elegia has more detail, however I think the 6xx are much easier to sit down and listen to all day. I'm glad I bought them if that helps.
Maybe try ordering, let them break in then see for yourself, if it's not worth it just return em

Aug 27, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #2,218 of 4,840
What would you say the Sundara does better? Aside from the obvious like air and soundstage.
As others have pointed out this can be an apple to oranges comparison because of the difference in nature, technology and even price. But my view is these are still 2 headphones made to listen music with intent, so functionally comparable to me 😉

What's better on the Sundara?
Airiness, soundstage, instrument separation, treble (smooth yet precise), overall natural character, sublime bass (understated but precise and fast, both in attack and decay), slightly better than Elegia for these taste buds.
In all honesty I can't really think of a category where the sundara is inferior technically. The presentations and FR are different though. Elegia more intense in the mids, Sundara more balanced and laid back (but still without lack of impact or dynamics). When I have the choice, I grab the Sundara over the Elegia.
Mind you the differences in performance are not categorical in my view, more subtle.

The beauty of the Elegia in my mind is that it is still very good at everything and I can use it next to my better half in bet or to practice guitar at night and still have a very enjoyable experience.
Using it with dekoni pads for general purpose listening.

All of the above with the usual IMHO, IME, and YMMV disclaimers of course

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #2,219 of 4,840
Why? Technology advances
Why not? I'm still buying pairs of Sony Ericsson MH1 from 2012 because I love them so much and haven't found anything remotely as good for a price even remotely in the same ballpark.
This hobby is subjective and if you love something...

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #2,220 of 4,840

That sounds like a crap situation and an answer not fitting for this price point and brand.
They should at least offer a headband swap, what do they mean "not reparable"?
Quite disappointing, hope they step up their game and address this, because if this kind of reports multiply, apart from the harm done to their customers, that could also harm their build quality perception and overall reputation.

It takes time to build a good reputation, and an handfull of posts on the internet to destroy it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back