Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Oct 28, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #391 of 4,866
That's funny, Unlike Jude's measurements, Torq's review does show lighter bass measurements than the Clear, which I'm still hearing. Otherwise I agree with his assessment, in particular hlw Focal nailed matching the overall tonality of the Clear and a sense of 'openness.'

As to a prior question, I do personslly consider them a somewhat bright headphone, but I don't consider them really harsh in the upper mids and treble. Maybe a little, but not the way some v shaped headphone might hurt your ears.
If bass is down I got a feeling it would sound like Elex, but closed. I found Elex still relatively lowered in the mids compared to Clear. Looking at Jude's graph, 3-4k is subdue'd somewhat compared to clear, and that would likely get closer to Elex. I'm starting to realize, I like more fill of 3-4k of Clear, HD6XX, etc. In raw form, a lift there more so than 5-6k (I dislike 6-7k sustain) which does seem to follow Harman for over-ears.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #392 of 4,866
to be totally happy with the Elegia, a cable change is necessary, here are the two options i use : Beyerdynamic audiophile cable balanced and a custom Forza Audioworks hybrid copper/silver balanced cable.
8D1EF186-E811-468B-931C-FD3E89525F40.jpeg D97FB639-8A43-470C-B4E4-4DF0C8623725.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #393 of 4,866
On a slight tangent, but in relation to the Elegia specifically: Has anyone tried them with the Chord Mojo yet? I'm happy with my home rig, but have been considering a Mojo for a while now (before I knew I'd end up with a pair of Elegia).

Oct 28, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #394 of 4,866
On a slight tangent, but in relation to the Elegia specifically: Has anyone tried them with the Chord Mojo yet? I'm happy with my home rig, but have been considering a Mojo for a while now (before I knew I'd end up with a pair of Elegia).

Brought my Mojo to the Store when i demoed them like two weeks ago, to get an impression as to what it would sound like in the office.
I've had some luck with the Clear and the Mojo previously as well. It's somewhat similar here.
Just gonna shoot straight for you, this is not a review or anything, just my subjective points on the gear, a nod to the pairing, and some general impressions from my demoing.

Mojo (no hate, I have it, I use it.):
- Weakpoint is staging for me, slightly small and anemic
- Slight warm tilt.
- Good control on lows for such a small package.
- Treble is a little wonky, feels a tad too compact and uneven at times.

Eligia:
- Slight metallic edge in the lower treble, similar to the Clear, annoying.
- Surprisingly clean for a closed back, kinda does what the 820 set out to to better than the 820, albeit on a (not dramatically) smaller stage.
- Bass felt like on similar levels as the Clear, possibly acctually cleaner sounding.
- Felt like a good alrounder through the session, probably the most hifi feel i've gotten from a closed can, as i feel most that have come before it has some more "unnaturalness" to it (elevated lows, uneven mids, elevated treble peaks, ressonances that stick out etc etc.) ...with maybe the exception of like the EFC/AFC, but those can't hold a candle to the dynamics and engagement the Elegia, or the Focals have in general IMO.
- Felt like a surprising amount of uncompromised (vs open) Focal house sound in them
- Pairing wise i think it's fine, gives it some warmt, good lows. Doesn't help the treble edge much, but could you even to begin with through source gear?

That being said, I would've picked em up even if they performed worse. They are very office friendly both in aesthetics (IMO the first "high-end" pair since the t5s that are remotely SFW), and in isolation/leakage which felt around on par with Z1R and a lot better than 820. Even if sonically inferior I would've probably gone for these strenghts more than anything, or reverted back to an Amiron W or smt.

Got mine on order, will pick up this or next week according to the general ETA.

Oct 28, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #395 of 4,866
Thanks - that helps. Much appreciated. It is, as you also suspected, for mobile and office use so I'm not expecting flawless or close to my home stuff.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #396 of 4,866
Brought my Mojo to the Store when i demoed them like two weeks ago, to get an impression as to what it would sound like in the office.
I've had some luck with the Clear and the Mojo previously as well. It's somewhat similar here.
Just gonna shoot straight for you, this is not a review or anything, just my subjective points on the gear, a nod to the pairing, and some general impressions from my demoing.

Mojo (no hate, I have it, I use it.):
- Weakpoint is staging for me, slightly small and anemic
- Slight warm tilt.
- Good control on lows for such a small package.
- Treble is a little wonky, feels a tad too compact and uneven at times.

Eligia:
- Surprisingly clean for a closed back, kinda does what the 820 set out to to better than the 820, albeit on a (not dramatically) smaller stage.
- Bass felt like on similar levels as the Clear, possibly acctually cleaner sounding.
- Felt like a good alrounder through the session, probably the most hifi feel i've gotten from a closed can, as i feel most that have come before it has some more "unnaturalness" to it (elevated lows, uneven mids, elevated treble peaks, ressonances that stick out etc etc.) ...with maybe the exception of like the EFC/AFC, but those can't hold a candle to the dynamics and engagement the Elegia, or the Focals have in general IMO.
- Felt like a surprising amount of uncompromised (vs open) Focal house sound in them
- Pairing wise i think it's fine, gives it some warmt, good lows. Doesn't help the treble edge much, but could you even to begin with through source gear?

That being said, I would've picked em up even if they performed worse. They are very office friendly both in aesthetics (IMO the first "high-end" pair since the t5s that are remotely SFW), and in isolation/leakage which felt around on par with Z1R and a lot better than 820. Even if sonically inferior I would've probably gone for these strenghts more than anything, or reverted back to an Amiron W or smt.

Got mine on order, will pick up this or next week according to the general ETA.

Have to say, I agree with pretty much everything said here (other than the Mojo stuff, as I don't have one).

On that ever so quizzical bass, somtimess it does sound very similar to the clear, and I do think sub-bass presence is better.

Also agree about it's general traditional "hi-fi-ness." I'm still pretty amazed by the lack of resonance. The only time I really notice they're closed is on tracks that includes sounds mixed fully on the left or right channels - some old Beatles tracks, for instance - where there's no crossfeed to give an open sound.

Right now I do think the Denon D9200 I'm testing concurrently are the better headphone (as one would hope, for the price) but they're more traditional slightly V-shaped closed backs. The Elegia and HD820 IMO are the start of a new generation of quasi-pen-sounding closed headphones.

I definitely think the HD820 sounds more open than the Elegia while having more bass, but it somehow manages to sound drier thanks to that lower-mid dip and certainly doesn't have the Elegia's sense of dynamics. Or isolation.

Oct 28, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #397 of 4,866
Eligia:

Have to say, I agree with pretty much everything said here.
Uh oh. I parted with the Elear and clear because of a similar coldness in the treble. Looks like I should stay away.

Oct 29, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #400 of 4,866
Arctic Cables just arrived. Not quite as flexible as I'd hoped, but still a world better than the stock cables. Upon a first listen, I do not detect any major differences in sound, but right now the source is not that good. MP3 copy of Barcley James Harvest 1st album (it was already loaded into Foobar). I'll check a few other tracks and report back.

Oct 29, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #401 of 4,866
One more quick observation, and not really connected to the cable, but about the cans themselves. One of my favorite pieces of music are the first two cuts from Joni Mitchell's Shadows and Light (intro > In France They Kiss on Main St.). I hadn't listened to this selection until just now. Pat's guitar is absolutely shimmering! And "bass-light" my ass. Jaco's bass comes through exactly as intended. Positioned just slightly to the left of center, every note clear as a bell, even his frequent harmonics come through beautifully. Don Alias' percussion is off the right as it should be.

In short, damn close to perfection!!!

Oct 29, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #403 of 4,866
Should be, I would imagine. There's already more than enough bass in most recordings of those genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back