Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Oct 29, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #406 of 4,866
Simple question: Do these have enough bass for pop, hiphop and dance music?
Well, if Elegia sounds anything like Elex, then I’d say yes. Elex is superb with pop. Fast, punchy, with great separation of vocals and electronic effects. Don’t really listen to hip hop but I’d guess it’ll do just fine. Just make sure your recordings are of good quality, because again if it’s anything like Elex, poor recordings will be brutally exposed.

Oct 29, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #407 of 4,866
What would you recommend? Apart from TH900 and MDR-ZR1.

I agree with SoundSquare. Elegia is great, but not for those genres imo.

There's not a lot of choices though in this price range. The only other headphone I would recommend is the Klipsch HP-3.

Oct 29, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #408 of 4,866
I agree with SoundSquare. Elegia is great, but not for those genres imo.

There's not a lot of choices though in this price range. The only other headphone I would recommend is the Klipsch HP-3.

I enjoy the LCD2 closed back more. Not only for the fuller bass, but also smoother high and warmer mids.

It is not very comfortable and larger than the Elegia, that's the only drawback.

Oct 29, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #409 of 4,866
I enjoy the LCD2 closed back more. Not only for the fuller bass, but also smoother high and warmer mids.

It is not very comfortable and larger than the Elegia, that's the only drawback.

I haven't heard those, but have heard the LCD2. I didn't find it as bassy as the TH-900, Z1R, or HP-3. Are they the same drivers, or does the closed back use the old ones like the LCD2C, because I know those are bassier since I've also heard the fazorless LCD2 back then.

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #410 of 4,866
As none of these genres are part of my world, I cannot offer an opinion.

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #411 of 4,866

For me the question is not so simple, all depends on your taste. Suits my needs just fine for portable use if that is what you are getting them for, if you will be using an EQ on your portable as well then you might be surprised with those genres as I do think they have enough bass(I don't listen to EDM anymore so I should note that) so you might too, depending on taste.

Running the Elegia from my Kann in balanced out I have plenty of bass and I have a long list of pop, hip hop and bass heavy Latin reggaeton, I really have no regrets for portable use, but my taste are such that I want nice clean present bass(not lacking, again I tend to disagree with the opinion that these have no bass at all).

Now if you are talking about a dedicated set of cans for the house then that is another story.

Oct 29, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #412 of 4,866

Unfortunately it's not that simple... I guess everyone has their "ideal" amount of bass even when listening to those genres. For my tastes, I prefer the MDR-ZR1.

Simply because it was fuller, warmer and had more sub-bass than the Elegia. On certain tracks, like modern pop/rock I liked the Elegia due to its pace, and speed. It's a real toss between the two. But when I heard the Elegia, it was on a Solid-State amp, I reckon if you give it a tube amp, it might give you just enough that you might be satisfied. It's still risky.

Songs I've demo-ed in that genre,
Massive Attack - Teardrop.
Portishead - Cowboy & Roads.

Oct 30, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #415 of 4,866
Cascade would be great for those genres too.
I agree with Cascade recommendation. On its own, the Elegia is a very good headphone that handles hip hop & dance quite well.

Just don’t go back to it after listening to hip hop & dance on the Cascade. Then it feels like something is missing. The Elegia, with its almost neutral presentation, does not provide the excitement & visceral punch that the elevated bass & sparkly treble of the Cascade provides. For hip hop & dance, definitely the Cascade.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #416 of 4,866
Cascade would be great for those genres too.
I keep forgetting about these. They were the only headphone that I felt it had too much bass, but you're right, they would suit those genres well.

On another note, I've been REALLY tempted to upgrade to the Clear. I love the Elegia for rock and metal over the Z1R, but I kind of want that bump in resolution and clarity. The only thing is, I keep having comfort issues due to my jaw problems. Trying to deal with it, but I may need to look into sticking with larger headphones (like the Z1R) or IEMs. I cannot wear the Elegia for very long at all in a single session...

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #417 of 4,866
Heya folks, a little update to report. Yesterday, I took delivery of an XDUOO TA-10. Unboxed it this AM (thanks to the seller, although noted as Used in eBay, it's essentially brand spankin' new! - but I digress). First listen with the Elegias is Jerry Garcia's first album. From my FiiO X5-iii, using HIBY Music player, line out (so not using the XDUOO's DAC section yet), no EQ, the bass is right where it belongs. Not weak or recessed at all but not soft or bloated. Happy so far, lots more listening to come this morning.

I'm off work for the next three weeks (having a knee replacement tomorrow), so I'll have lots of leisure time on my hands!!!

Oct 30, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #418 of 4,866
I agree with Cascade recommendation. On its own, the Elegia is a very good headphone that handles hip hop & dance quite well.

Just don’t go back to it after listening to hip hop & dance on the Cascade. Then it feels like something is missing. The Elegia, with its almost neutral presentation, does not provide the excitement & visceral punch that the elevated bass & sparkly treble of the Cascade provides. For hip hop & dance, definitely the Cascade.
DRE would prefer the Z1R if he could dare to use it....
Listening to Kamikaze WM1A>balanced> Z1R as I type this.

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #420 of 4,866
What would you recommend? Apart from TH900 and MDR-ZR1.

Elear would be a better choice if you don't mind open back.

Other option for close back is to Denon, but I always dislike V-shape sound signature though.

Anyway, today I just received my Elegia, love how clean its sound while still have enough warmness in midrange to make it sound pleasing. Midrange is kind of a bit in intimate side, far from V-Shape signature that we usually find in close back headphone.

Bass body definitely not as big as elear, but the impact and punch still there. Resonance is quite minimal, which is a great thing. My top songs so far for Elegia are coming from vocal jazz, acoustic, and pop. Norah Jones sings really wonderful here.

Additional note: I'm an open back headphone guy, this would be my very first time buy a close back headphone (after 9 years since I bought my first "serious" headphone), simply because I like the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back