Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Oct 15, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #196 of 4,854
The split headband design of the SRH1540 is turning me off since I've got a very bad comfort experience with the Momentum a few years ago
It's a horrible comfort flaw that would be gamebreaking if weren't easily remedied by a Sennheiser HD280 Pro headband which you can buy off Amazon.

Just had to add that, sorry for the OT. Back to the Elegia! I'd like to hear more impressions, especially on its isolation which Focal touts on their product page. Would really like to see what people think of its isolation compared to the Aeon Flow Closed, which have some of the best isolation I've experienced.

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #197 of 4,854
I find it very unlikely that someone who likes the sound signature of Fostex/Denon/EMU will like the Elegia, except you're deliberately looking for a different, complementary sound signature. Most people who like Fostex's sound find Focal flat and boring (with maybe the exception of the Elear). Not judging here, taste is subjective, but you should be very aware of very different sound signatures. Neutral tonality, but punchy in case of Focal and V-shaped and engaging (" fun") in case of the Fostex variants.

Having said that, I think the EMU Teak is the most neutral or balanced of the Fostex's.
i like both the fostex th900 and the focal utopia. i certainly don't find the latter's sound signature "flat and boring" - it's too dynamic for that. it does have a more even fr than the th900, however, imo.

Oct 16, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #200 of 4,854
Sounds like Focal just can't hack it when it comes to cables. Either it's too long and heavy (Elear/Utopia) or too short and stiff (Elegia). Can't remember if Massdrop got it right for the Elex? Yes, Focal does occasionally monitor and respond to these forums (hi @FocalOfficial) but don't expect any joy other than a friendly suggestion to go get yourself an aftermarket cable (like most Focal owners seem to have done over the years).

Hi everyone,

Indeed, as some of you has already done, you can buy aftermarket cables if you prefer so that you can enjoy a personalized experience :wink:
However, for those you also own a pair of Elear or Clear headphones, please note that their cables are compatible with Elegia.

Kind regards,
Marine, Community Manager Focal

Focal Stay updated on Focal at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.focal.com/us/
Oct 16, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #202 of 4,854
Oct 16, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #203 of 4,854
Hi everyone,

Indeed, as some of you has already done, you can buy aftermarket cables if you prefer so that you can enjoy a personalized experience :wink:
However, for those you also own a pair of Elear or Clear headphones, please note that their cables are compatible with Elegia.

Kind regards,
Marine, Community Manager Focal
Marine, thanks for commenting on this topic. I don't find your response totally acceptable. It's not about "personalizing" my "experience" ( :wink: ). It's about your company providing a reasonably well designed product, and not suggesting to your valued (I assume?) customers that they spend an additional $xx.xx for a replacement part. Especially considering the price point of these headphones to begin with.

And yes, I'm aware that the cables are interchangeable between specific models, and yes, I do own more than one model (Elear and Elegia). But "one soda - two straws" is also not a reasonable solution.

That said, I've already ordered a replacement 3rd party set of cables, so obla-di obla-da, life goes on, braaaaaaaa.

</rant off>

Oct 16, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #205 of 4,854
Trade you my Elear cable for your Elegia cable?!
I'll consider that, but let me wait until I get the 3rd party cable to see if that works for me. I'm not really crazy about the Elear cable either (too long and heavy - get your mind out of the gutter!).

I know, I'm a picky SOB!!!

Oct 16, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #206 of 4,854
@Preachy1 I'll take short and stiff over long and heavy any-day!

shifty.gif

Oct 16, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #207 of 4,854
I'm not hearing rave reviews for the Elegia. Is it good but not great? How does it compare with the LCD-2 Closed, which is similarly priced?

Oct 16, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #208 of 4,854
I'm not hearing rave reviews for the Elegia. Is it good but not great? How does it compare with the LCD-2 Closed, which is similarly priced?
Likewise I’ve heard next to nil about the LCD-2 Closed. Compared to the reams of hype for the LCD-2C, the Closed is almost anonymous. At least the Elegia is getting reviewed and discussed - I haven’t seen a single in-depth review of the LCD-2 Closed anywhere.

Oct 16, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #209 of 4,854
Likewise I’ve heard next to nil about the LCD-2 Closed. Compared to the reams of hype for the LCD-2C, the Closed is almost anonymous. At least the Elegia is getting reviewed and discussed - I haven’t seen a single in-depth review of the LCD-2 Closed anywhere.
I'm a bit confused here. You are referring to the "LCD-2 Closed" and the "LCD-2C". Aren't they the same, and did you mean to refer to the "LCD-XC"?

Oct 16, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #210 of 4,854
I'm a bit confused here. You are referring to the "LCD-2 Closed" and the "LCD-2C". Aren't they the same, and did you mean to refer to the "LCD-XC"?
I'm not surprised you're confused. The naming is bizarre indeed, and the LCD-2 Closed is so rare, hardly anyone's heard of it (which was the point I was making earlier). And no, the LCD-XC is something completely different (that's the LCD-X Closed). Here are some links for you to read up on each:

LCD-2 Closed: https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd2-closed-back
LCD-2 Classic (very different): https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd2-classic
LCD-XC: https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd-xc
Focal Elegia (because that's the thread we're in!): https://www.focal.com/headphones/elegia/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back