Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Dec 6, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #646 of 4,854
It's a super clean sounding headphone. And, some tracks had decent bass body and extension, so I could hear how the Elegia might have enough (or more than enough) bass depending on listening preferences. I think the Elegia will continue to be a divisive headphone when it comes to low end descriptors and experiences.

Those mids and sound stage though... :) Enjoyable for sure. Also, I didn't comment on the build. One word: quality. Save that damn cable. The case is nice too with room for a portable dap, amp/dac, etc. I wasn't a fan of the microfiber ear pads. While I do feel like they caused the headphone to leak more sound than it should, more so because I hate microfiber. :) @Jthompson300 curious to read about how the Elegia sounds with the Utopia leather pads. Perhaps I should wait another day before sending these back...

At any rate, I did enjoy my time with the Elegia and would recommend it to folks looking for something 'reference' like with not much color, especially in the low end. At least that's what my ears heard.

:beerchug:

The Utopia pads take out all of the bass, there is no seal and they leak like an open back headphone with none of the other benefits.

Worst decision I ever made dropping $249 for them. I was freaking out thinking my Amp was damaged, switched amps still was awful, switched my DAP and still the same, switched to my portable amp, still horrible, switched back to regular pads, and thank god it went back to normal. Talk about panic thinking somehow everything was broke somehow while I was at work.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #647 of 4,854
The Utopia pads take out all of the bass, there is no seal and they leak like an open back headphone with none of the other benefits.

Worst decision I ever made dropping $249 for them. I was freaking out thinking my Amp was damaged, switched amps still was awful, switched my DAP and still the same, switched to my portable amp, still horrible, switched back to regular pads, and thank god it went back to normal. Talk about panic thinking somehow everything was broke somehow while I was at work.
That's unfortunate. I'm sure you'll have no problem selling them to an Elear owner. I got a pair for my Elear and they did make a difference for the better.

Also a bit concerning that the pads make such a difference with the Elegia, although putting the wrong Beyer pad on the wrong Beyer headphone does a similar thing..

Dec 6, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #648 of 4,854
I prefer my LCD-XCs over the Elegia, but only by a hair. I use the Elegias mostly when I'm in my recliner as they remain on my head better. The XCs are just so heavy, it I lean back a bit, they will slide off my head. I've put maybe 50-75 hours on the Elegias and I am extremely pleased with them.

I definitely prefer my LCD-XC over my Elegia for home use, they are heavy but the carbon fiber band helps a lot.

The Elegia are much more comfy and even sound better on certain types of music, for portable use I couldn’t be happier though. My Elegia have probably about 100 hours now so I don’t think they are going to change much more but it is definitely a toss up on certain music, that’s why the listening chair is right next to the headphone/amp tower :beyersmile:

Dec 6, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #649 of 4,854
That's unfortunate. I'm sure you'll have no problem selling them to an Elear owner. I got a pair for my Elear and they did make a difference for the better.

Also a bit concerning that the pads make such a difference with the Elegia, although putting the wrong Beyer pad on the wrong Beyer headphone does a similar thing..

I hope Worldwide stereo will take them back, I got 2 pair in the box so I guess if they don’t I can make it up that way, didn’t know it was 2 pair for $249 since everyone sells them for $249 and it doesn’t say 2 pair.

Dec 6, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #650 of 4,854
I hope Worldwide stereo will take them back, I got 2 pair in the box so I guess if they don’t I can make it up that way, didn’t know it was 2 pair for $249 since everyone sells them for $249 and it doesn’t say 2 pair.
2 pair for $249, that sounds better. But who would want 2 pair? Sounds like a grocery store gimmick.

Dec 6, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #651 of 4,854
2 pair for $249, that sounds better. But who would want 2 pair? Sounds like a grocery store gimmick.

Yeah, I have no idea why they sold 2 pair for $249. Could be a mistake on their end or maybe all of the other websites are selling them for $249 and it should be 2 pair? Either way I hope they take it back or I guess I will be selling one pair for $125 and the other for $125 lol.

Dec 6, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #652 of 4,854
One thing I can say about the Elegia, if you ever needed a pair of cans to do critical listening for mixing the Elegia would fit the bill. I don’t think I have ever had a set of cans that showed every flaw like the Elegia, I can switch cans and still hear it but it’s just more mixed in and hidden but with the Elegia there is no hiding, I don’t even own MP3s and if I can help it I do my best to avoid 16/44 but even then the Elegia is unforgiving when it comes to bad engineering on higher resolution music.

Dec 6, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #653 of 4,854
One thing I can say about the Elegia, if you ever needed a pair of cans to do critical listening for mixing the Elegia would fit the bill. I don’t think I have ever had a set of cans that showed every flaw like the Elegia, I can switch cans and still hear it but it’s just more mixed in and hidden but with the Elegia there is no hiding, I don’t even own MP3s and if I can help it I do my best to avoid 16/44 but even then the Elegia is unforgiving when it comes to bad engineering on higher resolution music.

Thanks for the report on the Utopia pads. Given the style of them, maybe I will not get Dekoni perforated Hybrid pads then. I also didn't particularly like how the Brainwavz sheepskin leather pads (non-perf) sounded on the Elegia either. Maybe Focal's stock pads are the best thing for it.

I have two sets of adapter plates for the Focal headphones, but havent really found anything I like for either headphone (Elex/Elegia) with the pads I own that will fit it.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #654 of 4,854
is the Elegia cable balanced? or can you replace it for a balanced one? (2.5 or 4.4)

Dec 7, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #655 of 4,854
Went to the store today and got a new pair. The first ones were clearly defective. Now they sound MUUUCH better... :)

Dec 7, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #656 of 4,854
Went to the store today and got a new pair. The first ones were clearly defective. Now they sound MUUUCH better... :)
what was wrong with them? out of curiosity. just so i can know if it happens to me :p

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #657 of 4,854
Been with Elegia for a while now (around 1-2 months), things that still impress me:
- Kind of (very) smooth yet sparkle treble with plenty detail for sub $1000 headphone
- Midrange to die for, even when compare to Focal Clear, I will choose Elegia's midrange anytime anyday.
- Bass definitely not in big side, but I do not feel lack of it too (of course ymmv). Audeze owner may feel Elegia has thinner bass, while Grado owner may think Elegia has bigger bass than their taste.
- Build quality is still scream "expensive"
- Cable is stiff, fortunately it is not super long like Elear
- Balance cable help soundstage and push slight more detail, but when I pair with Questyle CMA600i, power become too much. Even in single ended my volume only around 7-11 o'clock. Also, in single ended I feel sweeter vocal, which is I like it.

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #658 of 4,854
Been with Elegia for a while now (around 1-2 months), things that still impress me:
- Kind of (very) smooth yet sparkle treble with plenty detail for sub $1000 headphone
- Midrange to die for, even when compare to Focal Clear, I will choose Elegia's midrange anytime anyday.
- Bass definitely not in big side, but I do not feel lack of it too (of course ymmv). Audeze owner may feel Elegia has thinner bass, while Grado owner may think Elegia has bigger bass than their taste.
- Build quality is still scream "expensive"
- Cable is stiff, fortunately it is not super long like Elear
- Balance cable help soundstage and push slight more detail, but when I pair with Questyle CMA600i, power become too much. Even in single ended my volume only around 7-11 o'clock. Also, in single ended I feel sweeter vocal, which is I like it.

I totally agree with your first months impressions.
Elegia's treble is awesome (in quantity and in quality terms).
Mids are just wonderful... They have a bit less micro-details and micro-nuances than on the Clear, but they sound a bit more organic/natural IMO.
Overall, it's a very good closed-back HP. Plenty of details...

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #659 of 4,854
How would you guys compare the Focal Elegia to the open back DT1990 Pro? just curious (i know one is closed and one is open)

Dec 7, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #660 of 4,854
That was my experience initially, after 20 hrs it gets much better. Now I’m over 50 hrs and still getting better. They sound great, sub bass is there , amazing mid and details. They are not thin at all when I pair with Jot. Only thing still desire a little harder on the drums. If that can be fix, they will be my perfect phones. :) hopefully the dekoni sheepskin pads can come in soon and helps a little.

My Utopia pads arrive tomorrow , I am very anxious to say the least.

It's a super clean sounding headphone. And, some tracks had decent bass body and extension, so I could hear how the Elegia might have enough (or more than enough) bass depending on listening preferences. I think the Elegia will continue to be a divisive headphone when it comes to low end descriptors and experiences.

Those mids and sound stage though... :) Enjoyable for sure. Also, I didn't comment on the build. One word: quality. Save that damn cable. The case is nice too with room for a portable dap, amp/dac, etc. I wasn't a fan of the microfiber ear pads. While I do feel like they caused the headphone to leak more sound than it should, more so because I hate microfiber. :) @Jthompson300 curious to read about how the Elegia sounds with the Utopia leather pads. Perhaps I should wait another day before sending these back...

At any rate, I did enjoy my time with the Elegia and would recommend it to folks looking for something 'reference' like with not much color, especially in the low end. At least that's what my ears heard.

:beerchug:

Sorry only seeing this now, otherwise I could have warned you regarding the Utopia pads and saved you some money.

I currently have 2 Focal headphones (Clear and Elegia) and 4 sets of pads (Clear pads, Elegia pads, Elear pads and Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads, which should be very similar to the Utopia pads). There are subtle and not so subtle differences between all pads, but the Elegia pads are very different from all the other pads, they really boost bass. So anyone using the Elegia and hoping for a similar sound signature (or more bass) with other than the original pads, will be severely disappointed. Somehow the basic (ex-pads) tuning of the Elegia has a lot less bass than other Focal headphones, but they "add" the bass through the pads. All other pads than the original ones decrease bass significantly. I am always curious about pad swapping results and have done so a lot in the past, but the Elegia IMO is not compatible with other Focal pads (or pads for Focal). The difference is just too big.

So if the Elegia pads are quite bass boosting, can you increase bass on other Focal headphones? Yes you can and I tried it with my Clear, but I did not like the result. First, I am not a bass head and the result was too much bass for me, but also, I did not like the quality and tonal balance.

A combination I really like are the Dekoni fen sheepskins on my Clear. Very, very slightly more bass and other than that, quite similar. I like the comfort of the leather pads, but there are lots of people who prefer the microfiber over leather.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back