Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Dec 3, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #616 of 4,854
While I did enjoy your comments I do think that you are comparing 2 different life styles. The ZMF are hardly portable and if you consider the other options for non portable headphones I do not see why the Elegia would show up on the radar and the same could be said in reverse.

Again I do appreciate your comparison between the 2 and your enthusiasm for the Elegia and wanting to show it but I feel like it doesn’t make sense because I am stuck on the fact the Elegia are more geared towards portability. When I first wanted to get the Elegia before they were released I was turned onto the ZMF which I had never even considered but it was also pointed out to me the 300ohm nature of them which killed them for me. Now if i was looking to replace another closed set for home listening then perhaps the comparison would be fair but even if the Elegia beat the snot of the ZMF in your comparison and then threatened it’s siblings, or in reverse, I would still say it’s not a fair comparison because I think they are meant for two different things.

While I would sell my LCD-XC before my Elegia it is only because of multipurpose. My Elegia I can take with me anywhere and use comfortably while my XC I can not.Do both serve a purpose and in different ways aside from that, of course.

My apologies because my comments are my own and I again applaud your comparison but I feel like you should mention one of the most important parts of the Elegia and why in my opinion, and I could be alone in this but I feel like I am not, they are one of the best portable headphones on the market today.

I understand your comment very well and I quite agree with you that it is not necessarily the most fair comparison. My first intention here was to see how Elegia would compete with established flagships. Given the excellent results of Elegia, I thought it could be interesting to share them, since they can be useful to Elegia users / future users. Maybe some are in the same boat as me. I just want to help...

However, if you have other more comparable models in hand (in the portable range), I encourage you to share your impressions. This could be very useful.

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #617 of 4,854
how does the Elegia stack up against the Elear ?
I've heard that the Elear has better base despite it being open back, and that the Elegia has ok bass with not so good sub-bass. what do you guys think? have you tried the two "budget" headphones from focal back to back?

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #618 of 4,854
how does the Elegia stack up against the Elear ?
I've heard that the Elear has better base despite it being open back, and that the Elegia has ok bass with not so good sub-bass. what do you guys think? have you tried the two "budget" headphones from focal back to back?

The Elegia has plenty of sub-bass and a very even bass tonality (i.e. no mid-bass bump). The Elear has more bass, or in other words, a tonality that emphasizes bass much more. It has a mid suck out and highs are a bit veiled too, so basically the bass is all you hear (exaggerating here to make the point). The Elegia is much more tonally balanced. Just my 2c.

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #619 of 4,854
The Elegia has plenty of sub-bass and a very even bass tonality (i.e. no mid-bass bump). The Elear has more bass, or in other words, a tonality that emphasizes bass much more. It has a mid suck out and highs are a bit veiled too, so basically the bass is all you hear (exaggerating here to make the point). The Elegia is much more tonally balanced. Just my 2c.
thanks for the info, i'm contemplating picking up a pair of Elegia sometime this week after pay. :p want a new headphone to play around with for a bit.

Dec 5, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #620 of 4,854
Got my Elegia yesterday afternoon and am listening for first time as I type this. Too new for comment on SQ but I am impressed with the appearance and comfort. They are very nice looking, love the black and metal look. They are lightweight and clamping seems appropriate without being too tight or loose. Comfy!

Dec 5, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #621 of 4,854
Got my Elegia yesterday afternoon and am listening for first time as I type this. Too new for comment on SQ but I am impressed with the appearance and comfort. They are very nice looking, love the black and metal look. They are lightweight and clamping seems appropriate without being too tight or loose. Comfy!
do you notice sound bleeding through the gap where the pads clip into the cups? i noticed this a bit in the store but maybe it was too lose because it was a demo pair. im hoping when i order mine eventually it will be tighter fit.

Dec 5, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #622 of 4,854
do you notice sound bleeding through the gap where the pads clip into the cups? i noticed this a bit in the store but maybe it was too lose because it was a demo pair. im hoping when i order mine eventually it will be tighter fit.

Not so far, pretty pleased with isolation and pads seem to fit tightly against the cups. I normally use LCD-XC or Ether Flow Cs for my closed back listening. The Elegia has better isolation than the LCD-XC, not quite as good as the Ether Flow C. For me, sound quality is number one goal, isolation is number two when using closed headphones.

Dec 5, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #623 of 4,854
I prefer my LCD-XCs over the Elegia, but only by a hair. I use the Elegias mostly when I'm in my recliner as they remain on my head better. The XCs are just so heavy, it I lean back a bit, they will slide off my head. I've put maybe 50-75 hours on the Elegias and I am extremely pleased with them.

Dec 5, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #624 of 4,854
im still contemplating if the elegia is better than my DT1990 Pros, i understand one is open one isnt. but i noticed they're pretty close in sound signature. but i need a good closed back solution :frowning2:

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #625 of 4,854
Bought the Elegias today. I auditioned them first with my Oppo PM-3s and Chord Mojo. Elegias sounded a bit better and fit much better to my head and ears. However, now that I tried the brand new set at home, the sound is VEEERY different... quite metallic and lame overall. I have always been VERY sceptical to equipment burn-in effect, but now I am giving it a try. I have to... they sound that bad. :-/

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #626 of 4,854
Bought the Elegias today. I auditioned them first with my Oppo PM-3s and Chord Mojo. Elegias sounded a bit better and fit much better to my head and ears. However, now that I tried the brand new set at home, the sound is VEEERY different... quite metallic and lame overall. I have always been VERY sceptical to equipment burn-in effect, but now I am giving it a try. I have to... they sound that bad. :-/

I don’t even know what they sound like out of the box because I always run a burn track for a 8 hours straight before I listen to any headphone but I am shocked to see your take on them out of the box.

Could be the difference between what you demoed and what you bought.

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #627 of 4,854
Compared to my PM 3‘s (going shortly) the Elegia sounds night and day better. Prepared myself to sit and listen to the two phones for a couple hours to decide if the Elegias price is really worth it...
Took about 20 minutes.
Although I liked the fit of the PM 3 better

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #628 of 4,854
I'm a bit skeptical also, which is why im a bit hesitant to buy the Elegia right away, i wanna wait and see more peoples impressions.
But to be fair anything with moving parts, i believe in burn in.

Dec 5, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #629 of 4,854

Dec 5, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #630 of 4,854
That was my experience initially, after 20 hrs it gets much better. Now I’m over 50 hrs and still getting better. They sound great, sub bass is there , amazing mid and details. They are not thin at all when I pair with Jot. Only thing still desire a little harder on the drums. If that can be fix, they will be my perfect phones. :) hopefully the dekoni sheepskin pads can come in soon and helps a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back