Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Nov 28, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #586 of 4,840
"i spent most of my honeymoon with this setup,"

Dude (or dudette),there are way better ways to spend a honeymoon!!!!! hehehe

Nov 28, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #587 of 4,840
maybe they have different taste of music lol

I tried Balanced out with my Jot too. It is amazing and I could immediately tell the difference of my MBA and iPhone. Hopefully the bass comes out more as they got burn in. 15hrs as of now. and I just order the dekoni sheepskin from Massdrop...can't wait

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #588 of 4,840
Nov 28, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #589 of 4,840
Yes, the tone of the written review is totally different.
Kee-ryste, it’s one thing to get differing opinions from different people, but when the same guy offers up conflicting comments, sorta makes you scratch your head, dunnit????

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #590 of 4,840
Yes it does, i spent most of my honeymoon with this setup, using the Beyer balanced cable (and a FIIO 2,5 to 4,4 adapter) as well.
You spent your honeymoon listening to headphones?

Nov 29, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #591 of 4,840
"i spent most of my honeymoon with this setup,"

Dude (or dudette),there are way better ways to spend a honeymoon!!!!! hehehe

dude actually :)
Well, don't worry we have explored every nice way to spend a honeymoon ! But i could manage a few hours of listening to the Elegia sitting on top of a volcano ! priceless !

Nov 29, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #592 of 4,840
Kee-ryste, it’s one thing to get differing opinions from different people, but when the same guy offers up conflicting comments, sorta makes you scratch your head, dunnit????

Ja, es ist wirklich komisch. :)

Really.. I mean if you don't like them, just say it. Otherwise you're not doing journalism, just earning money from your hobby by trying not to offend anyone.

Nov 30, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #593 of 4,840
I agree that Elegia do need a lot of power to get the bass out. There is a quite difference between driving Elegia with Jot on high gain and my portable Geekout V2+ high gain. Since I also have a pair of Beyer T5P v2, I have all the cables, all driven via balanced out. In fact i think if I get an amp more powerful then Jot if may get better. But then it defeat the purpose these are supposed to be for portable use. . i found T5P v.2 and Elegia more similar then different. I am keeping Elegia as the sound leakage is much better then T5p v2. I will try to post my newbie opinion when I have more burn in time with Elegia currently at around 35hours.

Nov 30, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #594 of 4,840
I agree that Elegia do need a lot of power to get the bass out. There is a quite difference between driving Elegia with Jot on high gain and my portable Geekout V2+ high gain. Since I also have a pair of Beyer T5P v2, I have all the cables, all driven via balanced out. In fact i think if I get an amp more powerful then Jot if may get better. But then it defeat the purpose these are supposed to be for portable use. . i found T5P v.2 and Elegia more similar then different. I am keeping Elegia as the sound leakage is much better then T5p v2. I will try to post my newbie opinion when I have more burn in time with Elegia currently at around 35hours.

Which has more bass? Would you say Elegia is an improvement over T5P v2, or a sidegrade?

Nov 30, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #595 of 4,840
In measurements of the Elegia and EARS, Ive gotten varying data in the bass region. I think it has a lot to do with seal. Unfortunately, the EARS has protruding head fasteners where the pads sit and that can cause some data skew, specifically down low.

Abyway, I think the Elegia sounds great. It compliments my Elex greatly as a closed back option. I think the Elex has better Dynamics and punchier bass but the Elegia is smoother in the upper mids transition.

The Elegia has a great feel too. The slightly decreased weight makes a huge difference.

Nov 30, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #596 of 4,840
Which has more bass? Would you say Elegia is an improvement over T5P v2, or a sidegrade?
I am still keeping track of the changes of Elegia, it is getting more bass over time. At the moment, I will still think T5p V2 has slightly more bass. in a couple week I will have more time to do a thorough comparison.

Nov 30, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #598 of 4,840

In measurements of the Elegia and EARS, Ive gotten varying data in the bass region. I think it has a lot to do with seal. Unfortunately, the EARS has protruding head fasteners where the pads sit and that can cause some data skew, specifically down low.

Abyway, I think the Elegia sounds great. It compliments my Elex greatly as a closed back option. I think the Elex has better Dynamics and punchier bass but the Elegia is smoother in the upper mids transition.

The Elegia has a great feel too. The slightly decreased weight makes a huge difference.

I am still keeping track of the changes of Elegia, it is getting more bass over time. At the moment, I will still think T5p V2 has slightly more bass. in a couple week I will have more time to do a thorough comparison.

I feel that T5P v2 is underrated...

From my experience (not side by side, because I sold the T5p.2 some time ago), they have quite a different bass character. The Elegia is tonally quite flat with deep bass extension. The T5p has a very pronounced mid-bass bump and does not go as deep. Personally, I found the mid bass bump intolerable, it drove me crazy, so I sold it.

It's a shame, because otherwise, a very good headphone.

Nov 30, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #600 of 4,840
Mmh.
I got an Elegia on loan from my go to shop over the weekend.
It took me some critical listening time to notice that my stereo image is kinda fu...ed off. There is a noticeable channel imbalance in favor to the left driver. I then took a noise generator and played white noise. Perfectly centered...
What

Ok, took a sine wave generator and played sine waves. It showed pretty severe imbalance under about 400 Hz, which made the bass lines and male voices to come from the left, female voices remained pretty centered. (Didn’t play Tina Turner though)
For example Glory Box from Portishead.
The bass should be dead center, on my Elegias it’s coming from like 10 o clock.

I like the overall sound signature and I love the dynamics, but I’ll be cautios when buying my own cans.

Regards

Second set, same problem. Measurable difference right to left...
Next try...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back