Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Jul 26, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #1,952 of 4,840
Let's say dekoni is the fancy one and brainwavez the cheaper one. But both has their on benefits. I'm waiting a sale to get the Dekoni Sheepskin.

Jul 26, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #1,955 of 4,840
@Benaudio i apologize i have the Elegia i get the names confused very frequently because I thought about both for a while.
@ev666il I'd prefer to get them close to that w/o eq because sometimes I like to use them on my ipad/phone and I don't think there is a way to do a system eq. So if I could get them to sound close to that by default that would be amazing.

Jul 26, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #1,956 of 4,840
@Benaudio i apologize i have the Elegia i get the names confused very frequently because I thought about both for a while.
@ev666il I'd prefer to get them close to that w/o eq because sometimes I like to use them on my ipad/phone and I don't think there is a way to do a system eq. So if I could get them to sound close to that by default that would be amazing.
No worries
I hear you, I also avoid EQ if at all possible. Dekoni are the only non OEM option I know of, and the non fenestrated elite sheepskin are very good, the boost in bass they provide is indeed substantial.

Jul 26, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #1,957 of 4,840
If you want more bass, why not use EQ? Making them match the Harman Target Curve provides amazing bass response, among other things.

While I like EQing, changing the pads change the seal on your head and with that comes not only a raise in bass level but a level of impact and subterranean rumble that I wasn't getting even when I EQ'd the bass up even a little past the harman target. If it was just about increasing levels, yea EQ is fine... but there are other factors that are quite hard to EQ correct like viscerality in the bass and more texture (and body) in the midrange without it being too shouty-- that changing the pads provided.

Jul 26, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #1,959 of 4,840
Undun, that a better way of what I was thinking. I did eq the bass up a bit but I want it to be a bit more note worthy. ev666il could you share you eq settings with us? I'm interested in trying it as I'm not very good with eq and it could prevent me from buying dekoni pads.

Jul 27, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #1,960 of 4,840
Jul 27, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #1,961 of 4,840
Are there Brainwavz available for the focal range? I couldn't find anything
Yeah, I mixed things up. Brainwavez are for the DT1990. I have my eyes on pads for both headphones, hence the confusion. Sorry guys.

But, in general, the statement is still applicable. Dekoni is like premium and Brainwavez more down to earth price.

Jul 27, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #1,962 of 4,840
Undun, that a better way of what I was thinking. I did eq the bass up a bit but I want it to be a bit more note worthy. ev666il could you share you eq settings with us? I'm interested in trying it as I'm not very good with eq and it could prevent me from buying dekoni pads.
Hey here's a harman target focused EQ setting for the Elegia from Oratory1990: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ialbitfdqmx2jr4/Focal Elegia.pdf?dl=0
It's quite good, and brings the bass up well but I use my own settings with the Sheepskin pads that I much prefer to this.

Jul 27, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #1,964 of 4,840
@Chiaroscur0 I’m using oratory1990’s EQ settings, the same @Undun linked above, to great satisfaction.

It is indeed a bummer that EQ isn’t always available on every device, but I use the Elegia almost exclusively from my computer so that’s not too much of an issue for me.

I tried this EQ and I can say its very weird. I typically would only use shelf EQ's as the first or last band of an EQ never in the middle which is the way all three shelfs are used. Eventually I can get this eq to sound exactly like Andrews Park EQ but I feel uneasy about artifacts from all of those overlapping and interactive bands. Keeping it simple, Elegia is a great sound headphone a little bass bump and a little on top is all it needs.

Jul 27, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #1,965 of 4,840
oratory1990 designs headphones for a living and has very accurate measuring equipment. I trust his measurements and settings and haven't experienced any issues or artifacts while using them.

I agree the Elegia are great headphones, but the dip in the 3-4Khz region makes them sound muffled in the treble. Once I got used to the Harman Curve, I could no longer go back to no EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back