Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Jul 29, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #1,982 of 4,854
Surprised it wasn't 100%, though sound is greatly influenced by the shape of our ears so the same setting will actually sound different to different people (to varying extents.)

oratory1990's setting indicates three bands to adjust to taste for bass, mid, and treble respectively; you may try playing around with those to see if you get to 100%.

oratory1990's EQ settings are based on Harman target response. And in Harman's testing, 1 out of 3 people liked something different than the Harman target response.

Jul 30, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #1,983 of 4,854
Just my .02€ (that nobody asked for), but I didn't like these settings on the Elegia. These are pretty dramatic EQ values in my book, will certainly change the HP in the direction of Harman target, but will devoid them from their original character in the process. IMO, if you're after a HP that does Harman well, get one that is close to begin with, and tweak it from there.
Elegia has a mid hump, not quite Harman-y, and I thought it lost clarity and quality of bass when applying those settings.

While I have no reason to disrespect Oratory's experience and far superior knowledge to mine, I can't really wrap my head around the concept of EQ-ing all headphones to the same target, sometimes going against the grain and losing intrinsic strengths they might have in the process?
To me EQ should be subtle in order to correct minor issues one has with the HP. If you have to apply more than 5, 6 or even 8 dB in various places (yikes) then you chose the wrong HP.
Can you tell I love EQ? :o2smile:

Jul 30, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #1,984 of 4,854
And in Harman's testing, 1 out of 3 people liked something different than the Harman target response.

I've already acknowledged several times that enjoying a different sound signature from the Harman curve is fair game. I was merely surprised at the notion that the Harman curve would sound muted in comparison to the Elegia's native FR, as my experience is the exact opposite.

These are pretty dramatic EQ values in my book, will certainly change the HP in the direction of Harman target, but will devoid them from their original character in the process. IMO, if you're after a HP that does Harman well, get one that is close to begin with, and tweak it from there.

While I have no reason to disrespect Oratory's experience and far superior knowledge to mine, I can't really wrap my head around the concept of EQ-ing all headphones to the same target, sometimes going against the grain and losing intrinsic strengths they might have in the process?

I agree with you to an extent.

It is true that applying these settings will fundamentally alter the Elegia's character—but if you're EQing the Elegia, altering their character is what you're after in the first place. If you're fine with their sound signature, why EQ it? :wink:

I agree that one seeking a FR that mirrors the Harman curve is generally better served by purchasing a headphone that's already close to it. However, there are cases where oratory1990's settings can come in handy—and that, in my view, is the point of his providing settings to bring several different headphones in line with the Harman curve. In my case, for example, I bought the Elegia before I even knew about the Harman curve, and found out I like it the best only after trying oratory's settings. If I could go back, I'm not sure I would buy a different headphone, though, as the Elegia have a number of characteristics I find desirable and that cannot be changed or corrected in another headphone; FR, on the other hand, can.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #1,985 of 4,854
I have one of these otw. I absolutely love the Clear, so if this is even 75% as good, I will be happy. My other closed back is a Denon AH-D7200. I think this should be a different experience all together. I would be pairing this with a Gumby into either a Jotunheim or Liquid Platinum. Would these have good synergy together? Either way, I am stoked!

Jul 30, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #1,987 of 4,854
Mine arrived today and I have it sounding pretty good with some sub-bass boost into the low mids and some boost to the 2K-4K region. However, this headband is the most uncomfortable I've ever worn... 20 minutes and huge hotspot right in the middle. Going to have to play with this a bit and see if the fit can be improved without compromising sound quality.

Oddly enough if I turn it backwards (left cup on right ear, etc) it's quite comfortable. Go figure.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #1,988 of 4,854
I'm trying it more without oratory1990's eq, I still like the elegia stock. It sounds pretty good on portable devices too its definitely not a purchase I regret right now. It might be the good ole burn in effect( getting used to how it sounds) not actual burn in.

Jul 31, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #1,990 of 4,854
SMSL M500......... HOLLY F#$K!!!!!!!!!
The sound this gives out is INSANE!!!!!!
My arm hair has never stood up like this..... The Elegia, Audeze Sine DX and Ultrasone Edition 11 have gone next level. If anyone is looking for a mid priced dac/amp and don't need to much power but truly wants pure focus on SQ that seriously punches above its price. This thing is it!!!!!! :O make sure it's the Version 2 though 👍.
20200801_012150.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #1,991 of 4,854
It is true that applying these settings will fundamentally alter the Elegia's character—but if you're EQing the Elegia, altering their character is what you're after in the first place. If you're fine with their sound signature, why EQ it? :wink:

Maybe it's because your thinking is biased towards more massive corrections to achieve Harman curve?

For example, one can add a little bass EQ without changing the character of the mids and treble.

Jul 31, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #1,992 of 4,854
If anyone is looking for a mid priced dac/amp and don't need to much power but truly wants pure focus on SQ that seriously punches above its price. This thing is it!!!!!! :O make sure it's the Version 2 though 👍.

Based on ASR's measurements, if someone doesn't need XLR, MQA support, or the extra inputs, the Atom stack or the Topping E30/L30 is more accurate (but would likely sound the same) for considerably less money.

Jul 31, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #1,993 of 4,854
Would it make any sense in spending $250 on Sennheiser 6xx on Massdrop or $450 on Elegia when one already owns Clear and Stellia and loves the same? Need your advice for my purchase decision.
I don't have experience with the Stellia or Clear, but from everything I have read in this sub, the Stellia is a direct upgrade to the Elegia, and the Clear is also a better headphone then the Elegia as well. I have not read how it compares to the 6xx.

Jul 31, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #1,994 of 4,854
None, mine sound great. I’m looking closely at the comments about the Dekoni Sheepskin pads. I’m trying to decide if my Elegia’s need them or not. The Silver Dragon cable I have on them cleans things up considerably. The bass is so good that the extra bass the Dekoni sheepskin pads adds might make them boomy.
Need them? Probably not, the improvements are small to my ears in terms of sound signature. Definitely an improvement though. The Sheepskin pads are great. However, if you have an issue with the seal of the stock pads, the added thickness of the Dekoni's may help with that. I did not have a problem with the seal of the stock pads, and I wear glasses, so ymmv. I'm wearing my Elegia's now with the Dekoni's, they are super comfortable, though they do make me sweat more than the velour stock pads.

Edit: I thought I was replying to the most recent post, not one from a while ago, my bad. Question, does anyone know of a headband cover that fits the Elegia and focal in general? I got the ZMF Pilot based on someone's recommendation, while it is very well built it does not fit.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #1,995 of 4,854
I think that's more common than actual physical burn-in. The giveaway is when you buy used headphones and they still keep getting better and "opening up" for the first few weeks of listening. Always happens for me.
I was doing a run from my s9+ using the vlc player and it sounds pretty good if not great to me. I think windows groove is doing something stupid. I should probably change from the player but its simple and usually works fine. I did double check to ensure theres no eq applied.

@VivusI believe this cover should work. https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Se...acement-Protector/dp/B00OF71WWO?tag=headfi-20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back