Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #6,211 of 6,742
Anyone knows a way to buy an Elear coil ? tried contacting Unrealdeals the Amazon seller from which I got my Elear without nay reply :frowning2:

Nov 22, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #6,212 of 6,742
I used to use the Fiio K1with an Apple CCK (OTG) adapter which was much better

if you have usb you might consider a khadas tone board

my elars work fine without an amp using an rca to 1//8" female jack, direct from the pc via usb as signal and power

I use mine at least 10 hours a week.

i used mine 10 hours a day initially :D

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #6,213 of 6,742
Hows their soundstage and imaging in general and compared to arya , 1990 pro and argon mk3? Also I listen to rock,metal,jazz,soundtracks,indies,classical and pop and blues . Do clear performs well for all these genres?

Nov 23, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #6,214 of 6,742
my only comparison can be to the ad700 and the akg q701, all of which are open back

the ad700 were a great intro to phones, and lovely; the q701's are more of the same, only "better" - detail / bass / stage

the elear aren't as "wide", nor as comfortable - but they are astoundingly precise and the bass thump makes you wonder why you can't feel it in your chest as well

in order of merit for wearing, ad700 > akg > elear (although the last 2 are close, but the rubber support bands on the akg are shot, a very common "feature", though as i use them in bed lying down, no impediment to fit)

the elears tend to press on my jaw after a few hours, despite bravely strething the frame to widen it a little - worked fine, bit the still clamp a little much

recent trial with the khadas tone board (rebranded recently as tone 1) was breathtaking - the pan am alo was good as the driver, but this is better, and needs no amplification straight from the rca's via an adapter - the khadas drives 80 ohms effortlessly - which was a welcome surprise

the pan am has baseline hum (ground loop beyond my skills to troubleshoot); the khadas with a single usb as feed and power is silent background

disclaimer : my upper frequency perception drops off >14k according to interweb audiometry testing, so if there's any background noise, only my dog will be offended

my music : (occasional) rock, (no) metal, jazz, (some) soundtracks, indies, (rarely) classical and pop and blues
a crap tonne of world music - significant amounts of west african (the cradle of blues and jazz), but all the rest of africa, and latin and other more esoteric stuff; also a bit keen on prog rock and anything that was the music of my youth (from early 60's to mid 80's), when as far as i can tell, something seemed to die in what might loosely be called "current popular music"

i don't think rap killed it, but it sure as eggs managed to break dance on the corpse

in truth, most of my listening of the latter genres is on the htpc using wharfedales - can't dance in headphones; can't "feel" the hit of sub bass; the headphones usually do duties for vocals / acoustic / jazz / more "gentle" genres - at which they excel

no slouch on the other stuff neither for detail and analysis, but it's not what they are for, for me

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #6,215 of 6,742
...can't dance in headphones

I can't either in my Elear. The weight distribution is such that they move around on my head a little too much.

But I can with my HD660S with my DAP in my pocket. Those headphones lock right in :dt880smile:

Nov 24, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #6,216 of 6,742
Hows their soundstage and imaging in general and compared to arya , 1990 pro and argon mk3? Also I listen to rock,metal,jazz,soundtracks,indies,classical and pop and blues . Do clear performs well for all these genres?
With respect to 1990 I answered to your question in the Clear thread already :). Few additions: when I was searching for a new headphone, after being disappointed from the 1770, which I bought from amazon, I compared a lot of headphones, all of them with Chord Hugo TT1 and Naim CD-Player. I also compared Elear/Clear/Utopia with HD800s which is famous for its wide soundstage. Well, I must say that I did not recognize that. Perhaps I am not sensitive for it or because I did not listen to classical music. I only listend to pop, rock and some audiophile recordings. It took me only seconds to graps that the 800s is not the right one for me. I bought the Elear and I am still very happy with it, even with the soundstage that others deem narrow. For my head, which is not the biggest one (probably a small brain included :)), the weight and clamping force is absolutely no issue. On Sundays I listen 3-4 hours in one go without any problems. But there is only one way: listen to yourself, take your time and compare headphones to find the right one for you. For many years I had an old Sennheiser HD4xx, man was this a boring headphone :wink: but I mainly listened to loudspeakers. With the Elear I am very happy. For me and the set-up used (TT1 and NaimCD), the differences between Elear, Clear and Utopia were rather nuances (but others hearing huge differences). I was also very happy with Hifiman 1000 which was 4times the Elear price, but did not provide the Focal dynamics. Enjoy listening!

Nov 26, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #6,217 of 6,742
if you have usb you might consider a khadas tone board

Treated myself to a Khadas Tone Board. However, the self-assembly case that came with it was a right pig to put together. Small parts and some of the screws being a tad too long. Managed to find some very small washers to fill the space and all was assembled OK in the end.

First impressions are that it is a nice piece of kit and seems well built. Now to try it and see what it’s like.

Good times ahead.

Nov 29, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #6,220 of 6,742
those are the ones I use too, I have both old and new and prefer the new version

Nov 30, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #6,221 of 6,742
Treated myself to a Khadas Tone Board. However, the self-assembly case that came with it was a right pig to put together. Small parts and some of the screws being a tad too long. Managed to find some very small washers to fill the space and all was assembled OK in the end.

First impressions are that it is a nice piece of kit and seems well built. Now to try it and see what it’s like.

Good times ahead.

diy for the win

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...the-khadas-tone-board.5054/page-7#post-231073

Dec 3, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #6,223 of 6,742
the one that comes with them is fine

is removing a cable that tiring ? i bought a smaller cable because the provided one is a bit excessive

Dec 3, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #6,225 of 6,742
my elear came with the bespoke case included for ~ $540aud delivered, earlier in the year

and it's a good case - https://www.minidisc.com.au/focal-hard-shell-carrying-case and thus an even bigger bargain

there's this available also much cheaper https://www.ebay.com.au/i/184370703097

but in either case there is no provision to leave the cords attached, and doing so would put more stress on the connectors to jam them in... and i would expect the plugs are likely to be good for several thousand cycles by design

Users who are viewing this thread

Back